The Suburban Purge
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:29:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  The Suburban Purge
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Suburban Purge  (Read 1075 times)
thebeloitmoderate
Mexico

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 24, 2021, 07:20:39 PM »

A new term i may just coined today it is basically the opposite of the rural purge that appeared in the late 60s to early 70s in TV. It is the realignment of once formerly moderate to liberal white college educated suburban republicans to the democratic party. This trend began as far early as 2008 or 2012 when Obama narrowed margins in once deep red suburban counties in Georgia, Texas, and Orange county California and won suburban counties outside New York City Chicago and Washington D.C. This trend dramatically expanded in 2016 when Trump was the nominee alienating many suburban republicans who voted for romney in 2012 and for more Moderate republicans in the 2010 and 2014 red wave midterm election years. It even expanded more in 2018 when Democrats won all house seats in Orange county, carried 2 NYC area New jersey congressional districts had a democrat flip a long red seat outside atlanta flipped 2 twin cities suburban districts and even dominate all of New York City's congressional seats by carrying the more whiter borough of staten island as well as south Brooklyn, and also Trump's drain the swamp rhetoric made VA 10 long a GOP bastion home of government workers flip blue as well as all suburban Philadelphia congressional seats excluding Bucks county and a small portion of montco. In 2020 the GOP made gains in more minority congressional districts and flipping a few 2018 lost seats back to the GOP bastion but Trump's rhetoric on "suburban housewives" didn't resonated well with the college educated women in those areas. In fact MN went more left, GA and AZ flipped blue because of suburban voters, minorities as well, and several NOVA suburbs went to Biden 80-20. What do you think of the new term i coined and my explanation everybody?
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 09:42:04 PM »

analysis is correct, term needs to be more catchy.
thebeloitmoderate
Mexico

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 07:29:59 PM »

Thank you sir it will be "the college educated white suburbanite expulsion"
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2021, 09:28:23 AM »

I think this is a good term for this phenomenon. It is rather tragic for Republicans, but we are making up for these losses with non college whites and certain non-white groups. I also don’t believe that the Romney strategy of pandering to rapidly left-trending white college suburbanites was one that was ever going to be built to last.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2021, 02:31:05 PM »

I think this is a good term for this phenomenon. It is rather tragic for Republicans, but we are making up for these losses with non college whites and certain non-white groups. I also don’t believe that the Romney strategy of pandering to rapidly left-trending white college suburbanites was one that was ever going to be built to last.

But -- college education is becoming more the norm among adults as older people without degrees are dying off. Republicans have been intensifying the anti-intellectual appeal to ignoramuses who resent learning and expertise.

Well-educated people are less amenable to demagoguery of any kind, including Trumpism. 
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2021, 03:09:42 PM »

I posted this soon after Barack Obama was re-elected President. Electoral votes shown are for 2008.

When all is said and done, I think that the Obama and Eisenhower Presidencies are going to look like good analogues. Both Presidents are chilly rationalists. Both are practically scandal-free administrations. Both started with a troublesome war that both found their way out of. Neither did much to 'grow' the strength of their Parties in either House of Congress. To compare ISIS to Fidel Castro is completely unfair to Fidel Castro, a gentleman by contrast to ISIS.

The definitive moderate Republican may have been Dwight Eisenhower, and I have heard plenty of Democrats praise the Eisenhower Presidency. He went along with Supreme Court rulings that outlawed segregationist practices, stayed clear of the McCarthy bandwagon, and let McCarthy implode.

gray -- did not vote in 1952 or 1956
white -- Eisenhower twice, Obama twice
deep blue -- Republican all four elections
light blue -- Republican all but 2012 (I assume that greater Omaha went for Ike twice)
light green -- Eisenhower once, Stevenson once, Obama never
dark green -- Stevenson twice, Obama never
pink -- Stevenson twice, Obama once

No state voted Democratic all four times, so no state is in deep red.

Electoral votes are for a time now passed and can be ignored.

Some President must be most like Obama in political skills and temperament... and regional appeals. Obama is not a perfect match for Ike, as Obama did not win in farm-and-ranch country in the Rocky Mountain States and the High Plains as did Eisenhower. Political cultures rarely change starkly over sixty years or so in states (although demographics and economic bases can). Many Obama supporters considered Ike the last really-good Republican President.   This said, I can much more easily connect Eisenhower in behavior to Obama than to Trump. I can't speak for Ike, but I think he would find Obama an expression of most of what is best in America and Trump a disgrace.

The Parties can change when the political culture does not.Can you imagine any Republican winning Massachusetts, Minnesota, and Rhode Island together... twice? Republicans have had only five wins of those states altogether  by Presidential nominees since 1960. Ike must have been doing something right to win those three states... twice! His six wins in those three states in two elections is more than all Republican nominees from Nixon to Trump. Four of those come from near-sweeps of the USA.     

Eisenhower and Obama did very well among the well-educated. Both did poorly in the South, except, oddly, they were  the first to win Virginia in a long time (24 years for Ike, 44 years for Obama) for their Parties. Coincidence? Aside from Virginia not being easy pickings for a populist I see nothing obvious. 

The most obvious cross-Party comparisons involve the winners winning 45 or more states, so of course Nixon 1972 and Reagan 1984 are obvious comparisons to FDR in 1936. This said, when someone wins 325 electoral votes that the nominee of the other Party won twice and the other seven come from places not voting for President in the previous time, then there must be some marked similarities. 

Obviously, Colorado, Nevada, and New Mexico are very different from what they were in the 1950's.
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2021, 04:21:37 PM »

But -- college education is becoming more the norm among adults as older people without degrees are dying off. Republicans have been intensifying the anti-intellectual appeal to ignoramuses who resent learning and expertise.

Well-educated people are less amenable to demagoguery of any kind, including Trumpism. 

College education is not getting more prevalent after COVID, especially among men of all races. It is however getting more prominent among women of all races.

I remember reading an interesting article akin to this!
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2021, 02:44:16 AM »

College education is not getting more prevalent after COVID, especially among men of all races. It is however getting more prominent among women of all races.

I remember reading an interesting article akin to this!

I see possible permanent changes from COVID-19.

First, much of the Hard Right that rode the anti-vaxx bandwagon discredits itself.
Second, the depressed wages of the neoliberal era rise as a share of national income.

Declines in college education may relate to higher wages... that people are more likely to wait out the mess that COVID-19 has made of the educational system, perhaps only to return to the old norm. People had a very strong incentive to get formal education, especially in business-friendly courses, when wages were low.
Leroy McPherson fan
Leroymcphersonfan
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2021, 03:44:41 PM »

There will be a massive Republican surge in the suburbs in 2022. You’ll see!
thebeloitmoderate
Mexico

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2021, 04:49:05 PM »

There will be a massive Republican surge in the suburbs in 2022. You’ll see!
At least in the states that will not be redistricted and at least have a more moderate distant from Trump candidate
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies