Are there's places with Afro-Latino's excluding NYC?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:15:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Are there's places with Afro-Latino's excluding NYC?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are there's places with Afro-Latino's excluding NYC?  (Read 286 times)
thebeloitmoderate
Mexico

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 24, 2021, 05:43:35 PM »

We all know Cardi B (Afro-Latina) is born in The Bronx but are there's places outside New York City with a sizable Afro-Latino Population?
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 06:46:14 PM »

Philadelphia, South Florida, Orlando, possibly Metro Houston and Metro LAX too. Basically anywhere with a lot of Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, or just have really cosmopolitan Hispanic or Latino (if we’re counting Brazilians, Haitians, etc) populations.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 06:58:16 PM »

Philadelphia, South Florida, Orlando, possibly Metro Houston and Metro LAX too. Basically anywhere with a lot of Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, or just have really cosmopolitan Hispanic or Latino (if we’re counting Brazilians, Haitians, etc) populations.

I'm sure there are also some in Dallas and Chicago. But you're right - any major city with large Black and Hispanic populations.
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 08:48:33 PM »

I'm sure there are also some in Dallas and Chicago. But you're right - any major city with large Black and Hispanic populations.

There's a difference between being of mixed ADOS and MexAm descent, and being Afro-Latino. I could be wrong on this- but I don't think the (East) Bay Area, Metro LAX, or North Los Vegas are hubs for Afro-Latino communities despite having sizeable numbers of Blacks and Latinos.
thebeloitmoderate
Mexico

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 09:04:18 PM »

More likely in Boston/Lehigh valley of Pennsylvania than in those areas you mentioned
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2021, 10:28:45 PM »

Was going to reply, but my buddy khuzifenq mentioned some of the top places on my list from memory in his first post when it comes to significant populations by City/Metro...
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2021, 08:59:08 PM »

Does the census release data on the numbers of African-Americans who identify as Hispanic/Latino? I thought they did somewhere.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2021, 11:12:43 PM »

Does the census release data on the numbers of African-Americans who identify as Hispanic/Latino? I thought they did somewhere.

They report total Blacks, and Non-Hispanic Blacks. You can calculate the number of Black Hispanics as the difference.

I assume people who identify as Hispanic don't identify as African-American, but rather as Black. I think they took the polite form of the N word off the census form. I wonder what they put on the Spanish-language forms.

The Census Bureau treats ethnicity as independent of race. Those who identify as Hispanic often don't use that formula.

Of Hispanic respondents:

42.2% are Other race (presumably Brown)
27.4% White and Other.
20.3% White
2.4% AIAN.
1.9% Black
1.1% Black + Other
0.7% White + AIAN
0.6% AIAN + Other
0.6% AIAN + White + Other
0.5% White + Black
0.4% Asian (based on states, I think this may be mainly Filipino)
0.3% Asian + White
0.3% White + Black + Other
0.2% Asian + Other
0.2% White + Asian + Other
0.1% NHOPI
0.1% Black + AIAN
0.1% NHOPI + Other
0.1% White + Black + AIAN
0.1% White + Black + AIAN + Other

Hispanic/Black is decidedly an Eastern phenomena.

If Congress were apportioned based on Hispanic population, California would have 109 representatives, Texas 80, Florida 40, and New York 28.

If Congress were apportioned based on Hispanic/Black population, New York would have 85 representative, Florida 45, California 44, and Texas 40.

Percentage of Hispanic population that is Black or Black+Other

Puerto Rico 13.9%
New York 9.8%
Massachusetts 8.4%
Delaware 8.1%
Pennsylvania 7.8%
Rhode Island 7.5%
District of Columbia 7.5%
Connecticut 6.8%
Mississippi 6.4%
Louisiana 5.8%
Ohio 5.8%
New Jersey 5.7%
Georgia 5.6%
Maryland 5.4%
Texas 1.4%
California 1.2%

Of the total population: Hispanic/Black or Hispanic/(Black+Other)

Puerto Rico 13.71%
New York 1.91%
Rhode Island 1.25%
New Jersey 1.23%
Connecticut 1.17%
Massachusetts 1.05%
Florida 1.01%

The 2020 Census asked for a subcategory for all races, including White and Black. In the past, this was only for Asian, AIAN, and NHOPI. They don't actually ask people whether they are Asian, but simply have a bunch of check boxes grouped together for Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, Asian Indian, Filipino, and Other Asian.

For AIAN they ask tribe.

For Blacks, presumably people will report Jamaican, Trinidadian, various West Indies, etc., as well as Nigerian, Ghanaian, etc. In the past this was possible on ancestry question on the ACS or long form. This is also true for Whites. I think the Census Bureau wanted to have a separate Middle Eastern ethnicity. But at least people might report Lebanese, etc.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies