LGC 3.7 - Secession Amendment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:47:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LGC 3.7 - Secession Amendment
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LGC 3.7 - Secession Amendment  (Read 511 times)
RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -6.96

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 24, 2021, 10:47:41 AM »
« edited: September 27, 2021, 01:36:49 PM by RC »

Amendment to the Lincoln Constitution:

To the end of the Constitution, Add the following:

Article VII: Procedures surrounding Secession:
1. If a secession referendum announced by the Governor successfully passes according to the terms of the Federal Constitution, a SNAP election straw poll held alongside it shall become valid, including such an election/referendum held concurrently with this amendment's passage.
---a. In order to be valid, the SNAP election will cover General Court and Governor and be for a new term running through the scheduled GC/Governor elections in December 2021 (eliminating the need for October elections for GC). The SNAP election is null and void, with the government proceeding as if it never occurred, if secession fails or the SNAP election is not held according to the terms just detailed.

2. If the secession referendum fails to pass, all future such referendums, and any associated SNAP elections, shall be held only with the approval of the General Court.

3. If the secession referendum succeeds, any future attempt to rejoin Atlasia, and any associated SNAP elections, shall be held only with the approval of the General Court.

Sponsor - Dwarven Dragon
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 11:51:02 AM »

Thank you, Mr. Speaker. After the crisis of times past, a council of myself, Crane, and Kaiser have come up with a framework to move our region forward. After surveying each member of the GC, we believe this is an amendment that has the needed 2/3 majority to pass the GC.

Once this amendment passes out of the GC, I expect the Governor to call a secession referendum (this is within his powers) with a snap election straw poll (non-binding unless this amendment makes it so). There will be three items to vote on, all simultaneously. One is this amendment, two is the secession referendum, and three, the SNAP election. From there, several scenarios can play out:

If secession achieves the required 3/4 majority, and this amendment is ratified, the SNAP becomes valid and the region will secede from Atlasia with the new officeholders just elected in the SNAP.

If secession achieves the required 3/4 majority, but this amendment fails, the region will secede with the existing officeholders as the Governor alone cannot call binding SNAP elections.

If secession fails, but this amendment passes, the region will be more firmly committed to Atlasia going forward as future secession referendums will require GC approval before happening. Existing officeholders will remain in office.

If both secession and this amendment fail, nothing happens and existing officeholders remain in office.

I'm proud that we are moving the region forward in line with regional and federal constitutions, rather than alienating extraordinary measures that violate the oaths we all took. I hope we can get this through the GC quickly so we can have the 'drama' the weekend of October 1.

While I don't plan to whip the secession vote, I personally plan to vote Aye when that is put to the people. I believe the repeal of the Philadelphia Plan was simply the first step to get this region to the best state possible - independence may very well be the next.

I am very aware that our constitution contains numerous references to a "Republic of Atlasia", and that seceding would take our 3 federal senators out of their jobs. When and If the Region gains its independence, we will clean up our constitution and implement reforms where necessary, including expanding the size of the GC if needed.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 08:18:39 PM »

We should call this to a vote so the election can be held in a timely manner.

Two things -

To clarify, no new registrations (aka at the very least after the date this was filed on September 22) will be able to vote either on the secession or on the snap election.

And any attempts to arrest Lincolnites for exercising their human rights to pursue freedom, such as has now been filed by Senator Spark, will render this entire process null and void and Lincoln will return to a state of uprising.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2021, 08:31:34 PM »

I take my oath seriously and I will not participate in any process or 'uprising' that goes outside the bounds of the Federal Constitution secession procedures. If Mr. Crane wishes to take that course of action, he would be doing so with myself in strong opposition.

I do plan to motion for a vote on this once the 72 hours of required debate expires tomorrow. However, I will only continue to support this effort for as long as it can remain a constitutional process.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2021, 08:39:53 PM »

Can you people please spell the name correctly
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2021, 08:48:38 PM »

I take my oath seriously and I will not participate in any process or 'uprising' that goes outside the bounds of the Federal Constitution secession procedures. If Mr. Crane wishes to take that course of action, he would be doing so with myself in strong opposition.

I do plan to motion for a vote on this once the 72 hours of required debate expires tomorrow. However, I will only continue to support this effort for as long as it can remain a constitutional process.

We are participating in the bounds of constitutional procedure.

But threatening to arrest the participants does nothing but inflame tension and will prematurely end this process.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2021, 11:36:56 PM »

Is this not a bill to update the presidential line of secession?
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2021, 10:47:53 AM »

I motion for a final vote
RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2021, 01:36:08 PM »

My bad lmao, changed the title.

Motion granted, 24 hours to vote.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2021, 01:54:21 PM »

Aye
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2021, 06:50:05 PM »

Aye
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2021, 11:11:03 PM »

Aye
RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2021, 09:46:14 PM »

All votes are counted, the tally is as follows:

Aye - 3
Nay - 0
Abstain - 0
Not Voting - 1

The bill passes and will go to a referendum.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies