Hollywood prepares to strike (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:59:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Hollywood prepares to strike (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hollywood prepares to strike  (Read 913 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« on: September 24, 2021, 01:00:48 AM »

As Steve Lee explained in a recent Facebook post (found through a friend):

Friends and family across the country- there is a very real possibility that Hollywood unions, the IATSE, will go on strike. This would halt almost all film and television production across the entire United States.  This is a historic move, and frankly a necessary one.

Many of you are probably annoyed that you’ve cut the cable cord, only to now be paying basically the same amount for a multitude of streaming services.

We however are more than annoyed that these streaming services, which nearly everyone has, and which are owned by some of the richest corporations on the planet, are pretending that it’s still an unknown business model that they don’t know if they can make money from.
They want to pay us less to work on streaming shows than for shows that air on TV.  They want to work us longer hours, and shorter weekends.  They want to contribute less to our pension and health plans for streaming movies than they do for films that have a traditional theatrical release.  They don’t even want to let us break for lunch during a 12+ hour work day…

On top of all that, AppleTV+ is asking for a discount on our rates because they have less subscribers than the others, even though Ted Lasso just won all the Emmys last night.
This situation has reached a breaking point.  The studios have decided to no longer negotiate, and therefore, our leadership has decided to call for a strike authorization vote.  It’s possible that this vote could lead to the producers offering us a fair contract to avoid a strike.  Or it’s possible that we will have to strike for what we need.

I hope that you’ll stand with us in this fight.

In Solidarity…

#IASolidarity
#repost

I'm surprised this isn't getting very much coverage or attention at all. This looks like something that's been coming for a while now, with fewer and fewer people actually watching television these days as streaming takes over practically everything. 12+ hour workdays without breaks is outrageous.

Big 2007 vibes here.

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 01:11:15 AM »

To paraphrase a movie released during a period of time when Hollywood was actually something of worth, I have frankly never given less of a damn about something in my life.

Which is why you will post at least 10 sh!tty one-liners like this one here, to y'know, show us how much you don't care.

(I know, shouldn't have even bothered hitting "show".)
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 10:58:18 AM »

The WGA strike was pretty funny. South Park did a good spoof on it.

(Honk if you support Canadians sign, couple drives by and honks)

"I did a good deed today honey."
"Yes you did, I'm proud of you for supporting them."
"Yeah. I think I've done so much good in the world today I can f#ck you in the ass tonight."

"We won! They gave in to our demands!"
"What did we get?"
We got bubblegum and a bunch of coupons to Bennigan's!"

To be serious, with how television has changed and cable in the process of dying, a Hollywood recession was inevitable. Streaming services are going to have less new content then before. (And a service like Peacock last year apparently lost a billion dollars, and were fine with that because that's the only way they know the future is going to be.) Throw on top of it there's a serious reckoning with the movie industry to be had. If they're now going to be just on HBO Max or Disney+ or whatever, they're not going to get near the monetary openings they're used to.

Awww jeeeeeezzzz... guess you'll just have to deal with our paaackageeesss....

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2021, 07:15:24 PM »

Were these people "in solidarity" with the United Mine Workers as their jobs evaporate?

Were these people "in solidarity" with the Keystone Pipeline workers, whose jobs were eliminated by one stroke of Biden's pen.

I'm as "in solidarity" with them as they were/are "in solidarity" with the United Mine Workers and the pipeline workers on the Keystone Pipeline. 

That's nice.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies