Hollywood prepares to strike
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:44:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Hollywood prepares to strike
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Hollywood prepares to strike  (Read 914 times)
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2021, 05:31:47 PM »

I should add, there is another severe problem in the entertainment industry, that of videogame developers. They are routinely exploited, forced to work 'crunch' time, receive little to no royalty pay, and have to cope with publjshers demanding that certain useless feature be imp,emented because they tested well with focus groups.

To top eveything off, female employees are regularly sexually harassed and assaulted while the Old Boys' Club that runs it, and in the case of Ubisoft, actively covered it up.

They actually don't have a union either, so they miss out on all the benefits of one.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2021, 05:39:56 PM »

The irony is that movie business in smaller countries have never seen so many money, because the streaming companies massive invest in their production in those countries. So while Hollywood is hurting it’s going great elesewhere. I wouldn’t be surprised to find out that smaller American producers outside Hollywood is also doing well.

DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2021, 07:04:33 AM »

This was inevitable.  There is just sooooo much entertainment made these days, of course there isn't enough money to spread around because there aren't enough eyes to watch it all.  The big networks and the cable companies murdered the golden goose by making garbage and over charging for it.  I feel bad that a lot of artists/crew that once made a good living, can't anymore.  Perhaps they can learn to code?  It doesn't help them that there are a billion or 3 willing to do the same thing for less just to get their foot in the door.

No need. There's huge demand nationwide for writers, video editors, designers, etc., just not in Hollywood. It's not uncommon at all for writers to earn almost or even more than six figures for producing instructional material for machinery or software, and marketing is a field that'll probably never stop growing and they desperately need competent creative employees. If these struggling filmmakers were employed by these big entertainment corporations, then with their resumes all they'd need to do is move someplace where studio apartments don't cost 4,000 a month and they'll easily be able to live comfortably as a remote "Content Coordinator" or some other corporate position.
CEO Mindset
penttilinkolafan
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2021, 09:50:37 AM »

going by the extremely low quality of mass market/AAA games, videogame developers are overpaid and underworked... imagine being a dev and complaining about having to do your job AT ALL for once which is what they talk about when they whine about "crunch"
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2021, 10:37:16 AM »

As Steve Lee explained in a recent Facebook post (found through a friend):

Friends and family across the country- there is a very real possibility that Hollywood unions, the IATSE, will go on strike. This would halt almost all film and television production across the entire United States.  This is a historic move, and frankly a necessary one.

Many of you are probably annoyed that you’ve cut the cable cord, only to now be paying basically the same amount for a multitude of streaming services.

We however are more than annoyed that these streaming services, which nearly everyone has, and which are owned by some of the richest corporations on the planet, are pretending that it’s still an unknown business model that they don’t know if they can make money from.
They want to pay us less to work on streaming shows than for shows that air on TV.  They want to work us longer hours, and shorter weekends.  They want to contribute less to our pension and health plans for streaming movies than they do for films that have a traditional theatrical release.  They don’t even want to let us break for lunch during a 12+ hour work day…

On top of all that, AppleTV+ is asking for a discount on our rates because they have less subscribers than the others, even though Ted Lasso just won all the Emmys last night.
This situation has reached a breaking point.  The studios have decided to no longer negotiate, and therefore, our leadership has decided to call for a strike authorization vote.  It’s possible that this vote could lead to the producers offering us a fair contract to avoid a strike.  Or it’s possible that we will have to strike for what we need.

I hope that you’ll stand with us in this fight.

In Solidarity…

#IASolidarity
#repost

I'm surprised this isn't getting very much coverage or attention at all. This looks like something that's been coming for a while now, with fewer and fewer people actually watching television these days as streaming takes over practically everything. 12+ hour workdays without breaks is outrageous.

Big 2007 vibes here.

Were these people "in solidarity" with the United Mine Workers as their jobs evaporate?

Were these people "in solidarity" with the Keystone Pipeline workers, whose jobs were eliminated by one stroke of Biden's pen.

I'm as "in solidarity" with them as they were/are "in solidarity" with the United Mine Workers and the pipeline workers on the Keystone Pipeline. 
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2021, 11:49:09 AM »

going by the extremely low quality of mass market/AAA games, videogame developers are overpaid and underworked... imagine being a dev and complaining about having to do your job AT ALL for once which is what they talk about when they whine about "crunch"
God I hate gamers
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2021, 05:23:09 PM »

You really, really lack an understanding of just how toxic the game development industry is.

Take Ubisoft. Sexual harassment and casual racism (such as watching the Force Awakens trailer and referring to John Boyega as a monkey) were considered normal. Veteran members would host meeting in strip clubs, designed to unnerve and intimidate the new members into accepting their way of thinking. Sexual and mental abuse was considered the norm, and largely accepted by the higher ups. That eventually claimed the scalp of Serge Hascoet, their Chief Creative Officer. Yves Guillemot, President and CEO, claimed he didn't know a thing, but I find that hard to believe consdiering him and Hascoet were very close friends. This is without mentioning that the entire HR management team threatened to resign if the internal audit found them responsible.

Oh and did I mention that when developing their newest Tom Clancy game, they turned their version of BLM, complete with raised fist symbol, into the tool of a global conspiracy to destroy democracy? They somehow managed to turn a movement protesting police brutality into a shadowy global conspiracy,  offending both the black and Jewish communities both at once! They then had the gall to say they had no idea of the raised fist's significance, when it's been a symbol of civil rights movements throughout US history.

There are many, many more horror stories like this. Rockstar forcing its writers to work 100 hour weeks on Red Dead Redemption 2, CD Projekt Red forcing its workers to work 16 hours a day six days a week under threat of termination if they don't, or Activision laying off 800 workers days after announcing record profits and incresing CEO Bobby Koitck's own salary.

To anyone-ANYONE-interested in worker representation and making sure employes get a fair deal, I strongly urge you to look into this. The game industry is a massive hive of worker exploitation, sexual, emotional and mental abuse, and people actively covering all this up to protect the corporate heads' positions and salaries. It is an issue the media simply does not cover, and because so many want to get into game development, studios can literally fire entire sections of the workforce if they get a hint that section is organising. Unions simply do not exist in the game development sector, or if they do, they have no power to effect lasting change.

Please, anyone interested in fair treatment of employees, I urge you to study this more closely. The New Gilded Age is here already, and it's being spearheaded by game development studios.
CEO Mindset
penttilinkolafan
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2021, 05:33:56 PM »

lol. sounds like they're entitled af.

yeah, i'm against tying first world standards of living to employment but not gonna sympathize with these devs
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2021, 07:15:24 PM »

Were these people "in solidarity" with the United Mine Workers as their jobs evaporate?

Were these people "in solidarity" with the Keystone Pipeline workers, whose jobs were eliminated by one stroke of Biden's pen.

I'm as "in solidarity" with them as they were/are "in solidarity" with the United Mine Workers and the pipeline workers on the Keystone Pipeline. 

That's nice.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2021, 12:50:21 AM »
« Edited: October 14, 2021, 12:56:30 AM by emailking »

Hollywood crews say they will strike next week if there is no agreement

Ratcheting up pressure on the major studios, the union representing Hollywood crews announced Wednesday that its members will go on strike on Monday if they can’t reach agreement on a new contract.

A walkout would bring film and television productions across the country to a standstill and would be the biggest Hollywood labor dispute in more than a decade. The International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees represents about 60,000 film set workers nationwide.

Wednesday’s announcement from IATSE represents a line in the sand for how long the organization will let talks continue without resolution. Negotiations will continue this week, the union said.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2021-10-13/iatse-names-date-for-possible-strike-if-talks-with-producers-stall

Strike begins Monday if no agreement.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2021, 03:50:14 PM »

Deal reached. No strike.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies