Will Biden get to appoint any Supreme Court justices during his Presidency?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:17:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will Biden get to appoint any Supreme Court justices during his Presidency?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Will he?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Author Topic: Will Biden get to appoint any Supreme Court justices during his Presidency?  (Read 1494 times)
R.P. McM
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2021, 06:09:16 AM »
« edited: October 17, 2021, 07:08:25 AM by R.P. McM »

People who have dedicated their lives to a job like Beyer has for so long, don't know what to do with themselves if they leave it. Plus, as you get older it's harder to change. So combine the two and you have a situation where I don't think he will be able to retire. It's not in his vocabulary. What would he do with himself if he quit and had all that time on his hands?

Or, he could surprise us all and pass the mantle to a younger Judge deserving of the position. That would be nice.

He could take a visiting professorship at literally any legal faculty in the world.

He wouldn't feel important enough. Clown Ginsburg had the same problem.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2021, 06:59:58 AM »
« Edited: October 17, 2021, 07:03:14 AM by Mr. Kanye West »

The reason why Breyer isn't gonna retire now, he wants DIVIDED GOVT THAT WONT PRODUCE CRT PACKING HE WOULD SEEM OARTISAN IF HE RETIRED

A 222/216DH and 52(48 DS would produce no Crt packing of course he wants D's to retain trifecta but DIVIDED GOVT, WITHOUT A MANDATE FOR Crt packing, as long as Covid and Biden let's immigrants in virus TX and FL goes R, as Mickey mouse jobs are coming back at 200K jobs barely you survive on
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2021, 09:56:03 AM »

Yes Breyer is retiring next year. Kentaji Brown Jackson was his clerk and everything should be good.

I still do like how he is panicking everyone even though it is obvious he will retire for the midterms.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2021, 12:28:04 PM »

Yes Breyer is retiring next year. Kentaji Brown Jackson was his clerk and everything should be good.

I still do like how he is panicking everyone even though it is obvious he will retire for the midterms.

And that there's absolutely zero chance the Democrats could lose control of the Senate to MoscowMitch before then.

/s
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2021, 07:33:09 PM »

Holy s***balls, I hope so. If he doesn't this Senate majority will be an even bigger waste.

I'll give Breyer at least one more Supreme Court term before I flip the f*** out at him even more than I already want to. He is cutting it way too close and should have retired the week after Biden and the Democratic Senate got inaugurated.

A very nice gesture though, would be if Roberts wants to heal our partisan divides and retire under the opposite party that appointed him. I am certainly no Roberts fan, but in sort of becoming more of a swing vote over the last few years, maybe he is growing frustrated at the legacy his Court is going to have as a rabidly right wing one taking the country on a backslide.

*Sigh* Yes, I know those are fantasy musings. Knowing our luck, Breyer is going to die after the Republicans take back the Senate.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2021, 12:29:57 PM »

And that there's absolutely zero chance the Democrats could lose control of the Senate to MoscowMitch before then.

/s

Sigh:

I guess I'll just repost these quotes whenever Breyer's continued existence is in the news & resultantly triggers some of y'all, which will presumably happen at least a few more times over the next 9-12 months, given that some of y'all are just so easily spooked by literally anything that's not perfectly aligned with your visions of reality as you'd like it to be. Eh, who am I kidding? It's not like most of you are gonna even bother reading what I have, have had, & will continue to have to say on this matter anyway, let alone bother retaining the evidence put forth therein, because you evidently haven't before:

I don't understand why this is really all that baffling to some when there are frankly a litany of reasons - not at all involving "hubris," let alone of a "pure" variety - as to why he'd retire next summer instead of this summer: wanting to hear next year's abortion & affirmative action cases even if it's as a dissenter, not wanting to go without taking part in more in-person oral arguments as opposed to leaving right now when they're still remote over-the-phone, feeling confident about Pat Leahy's health not depriving Senate Democrats of a majority by next summer, & - of course - wanting to see KBJ succeed him, which likely wouldn't be the case if he were to step down right now, as she literally just got confirmed to the D.C. Circuit 3 weeks ago & isn't even slated to hear her first appellate case 'til Sept. Indeed, his asking one of his OT2020 clerks to stick around for another term (which is an unheard-of rarity when it comes to SCOTUS clerkships) implies that his doing so was just the easiest thing to do on short notice after presumably considering retirement this summer before making up his mind - for all of the aforementioned reasons - on one more year. Seriously, the available evidence at hand just doesn't point to Breyer willingly being "RBG 2: Electric Boogaloo," which makes sense, given his famous pragmatism.

Not retiring in the first summer of a Democratic presidency ≠ a naive blanket refusal to retire under a Democratic presidency, thus risking his death under a Republican presidency. Seriously, what is it with everybody on the left-of-center acting in recent days as if Breyer not retiring right now at this very moment equates to the literal end of the world? There's literally another summer left before the midterms, & Pat Leahy's doing just fine; Breyer's former clerk-turned-natural successor was literally just appointed to SCOTUS' Triple-A team, almost as if she's being teed-up for the inevitable vacancy that she's pretty much been the frontrunner for this whole time (& it's not like Breyer - who'd presumably like to see a valued former clerk of his own replace him - doesn't understand that retiring at this very moment would probably result in her actually not being the pick, given that being nominated for SCOTUS less than 3 weeks after becoming an appellate judge & before even hearing a single appellate case wouldn't be a good look); & one of Justice Breyer's OT2021 clerks is literally one of his OT2020 clerks whom he's asked to stick around for another term (which is an unheard-of rarity when it comes to SCOTUS clerkships), with the prominent implication being that his doing so was just the easiest thing to do on short notice after presumably considering retirement this summer before making up his mind - for all of the aforementioned reasons, & more (e.g., abortion/AA cases, one last in-person term) - on 1 more year. Seriously, y'all, all of the evidence points to one direction that looks a lot more like Summer 2022 than it does Armageddon.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies