American Gentry, or, the GOP's College-Educated Whites (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:47:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  American Gentry, or, the GOP's College-Educated Whites (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: American Gentry, or, the GOP's College-Educated Whites  (Read 2813 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: September 24, 2021, 06:49:33 PM »

Speaking as someone who works in GOP politics I can confirm that the notion that much of the GOP base are wealthy midsize town residents is certainly partially true, but both parties receive a ton of money from huge corporations.

Also, wealthy non-college voters are a HUGE proportion of the GOP's support. Look at the Southern United States or Florida if you ever need any proof.

Because education is increasingly not required to be a member of the Republican party.

I mean a lot of the dem base by this same basis are people who got tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt majoring in useless sjw degrees which didnt have good job prospects at all and they ended up working jobs people with high school grads can as well.

Isnt it much smarter to be the kid who instead of doing that decided to work at his family business, go to trade school or obtain some type of professional license and end up making more money in the long run without ending up in so much debt.

At the end of the day the problem is the system that encourages people to take the path of option A instead of option B. Now you may argue college isnt just about bettering your job prospects but actually learning about something you want to learn, but in that case then the route that should be encouraged is going to a community college then a local university instead of incurring so much debt.

Great point. Why indeed didn't these these millions of people simply enter a completely non existent lucrative family business instead of going to college and earning a degree in order to increase their employment prospects?After all, getting a job after college unrelatedTo one's degree 90% of the time has been the norm for only (checks notes)  Well over a century.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 07:13:29 PM »

Speaking as someone who works in GOP politics I can confirm that the notion that much of the GOP base are wealthy midsize town residents is certainly partially true, but both parties receive a ton of money from huge corporations.

Also, wealthy non-college voters are a HUGE proportion of the GOP's support. Look at the Southern United States or Florida if you ever need any proof.

Because education is increasingly not required to be a member of the Republican party.

I mean a lot of the dem base by this same basis are people who got tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt majoring in useless sjw degrees which didnt have good job prospects at all and they ended up working jobs people with high school grads can as well.

Isnt it much smarter to be the kid who instead of doing that decided to work at his family business, go to trade school or obtain some type of professional license and end up making more money in the long run without ending up in so much debt.

At the end of the day the problem is the system that encourages people to take the path of option A instead of option B. Now you may argue college isnt just about bettering your job prospects but actually learning about something you want to learn, but in that case then the route that should be encouraged is going to a community college then a local university instead of incurring so much debt.

Great point. Why indeed didn't these these millions of people simply enter a completely non existent lucrative family business instead of going to college and earning a degree in order to increase their employment prospects?After all, getting a job after college unrelatedTo one's degree 90% of the time has been the norm for only (checks notes)  Well over a century.

How the hell is going into tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands in debt for a degree that has very little job prospects a good economic decision lol.

Also I notice how you also didnt read the part where I said or go to Trade School or get a Professional License.

I ignored it because you're blossom insistence that people should just join these lucrative family vit businesses which you seem to believe are commonplace was  Is jaw droppingly foolish. As is your assertion that  The major to a 4 year degree matters much much 90% of the time in terms  Of post graduation employment.

Remember, Well paying skilled blue collar jobs have been declining is climbing in number drastically for the last 40 years.It's not like if 10% of current is of current bachelor candidate left college and took up plumbing There would be suddenly lots of 25 to $30 an hour plumbing jobs available.

Just curious. You've graduated college in the last couple years IRC. Why did you bother to do so and incur all that student debt rather than getting a nice honest trade school diploma  For carpentry or the like?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2021, 12:20:23 AM »
« Edited: September 25, 2021, 12:23:25 AM by Badger »

Great point. Why indeed didn't these these millions of people simply enter a completely non existent lucrative family business instead of going to college and earning a degree in order to increase their employment prospects?After all, getting a job after college unrelatedTo one's degree 90% of the time has been the norm for only (checks notes)  Well over a century.

How the hell is going into tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands in debt for a degree that has very little job prospects a good economic decision lol.

Also I notice how you also didnt read the part where I said or go to Trade School or get a Professional License.

So you're saying people who are born into wealthy families should go work at the family business and everyone else should go out and be a physical laborer or craftsman.

Congratulations, you just reinvented pre-Industrial Revolution Europe.

Now, since you're half assed point on this has been decimated by the previous 2  Posts, let's get back to my query as to why you you personally chose to go off and get a 4 year degree rather than do the smart thing and avoid all that college debt by going to trade school?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2021, 01:09:02 PM »

So you're saying people who are born into wealthy families should go work at the family business and everyone else should go out and be a physical laborer or craftsman.

Congratulations, you just reinvented pre-Industrial Revolution Europe.

Now, since you're half assed point on this has been decimated by the previous 2  Posts, let's get back to my query as to why you you personally chose to go off and get a 4 year degree rather than do the smart thing and avoid all that college debt by going to trade school?

I love how your reading skills are so bad that you couldn’t understand I was talking about particular majors and not degrees  in general .

Either that or you are being extremely disingenuous as usual

Quite sniveling and answer the question. Is it that you are all in favor  Of other people taking on physically strange is physically strenuous careers often working in the frigid cold or blistering sun much of the year, But you yourself you consider exempt from such Is hardships and keeping the gateway open to an upper middle class to wealthy lifestyle?

I think you were vastly overestimating how as you put it some degrees are some degrees are beneficial for Is post bachelor's employment.  Do you really think a bachelor's in business administration is really that much more helpful for an entry level paper clip counting position is position than a 4 year degree in say history? The point is that someone was able to stick it out for 4 years and learn how to do critical thinking. Is. Sure, an entry level engineering firm isn't going to be interested in someone with a divinity degree.  The Choice of major one has  Is is it best incidental to one's post bachelor's employment prospects.

Is the ugly reality you refuse to acknowledge, is that governmental support  Of upper education, especially if Alma especially in public colleges, has dwindled dramatically in the last several decades. Look at the Is relative cost even after inflation of a 4 year degree 40 or 50 years ago compared to now. Oh, what's that you want to blame it on teacher unions and and administrative bureaucracies like a good little conservative robot is little conservative robot? Think again. Look up how much the Is difference in state contributions towards is tuition at Ohio state R compared to 40 years ago. Back then the vast majority of of the budget was covered by Steve it's a state funding. Now, it's only a small percentage. GG, I wonder which politician and party started that trend about 40 years ago. But I so much easier for you and your Weird fetish of ReaganTo instead blame it onIs college students getting liberal arts degrees in the same ratio they did 40 years ago but without the same barriers to employment because it made because the economy has been so royally ed in the Last half century

So I repeat, why did you exempt yourself from trade school and get yourself a 4 year degree with all that mountain college debt?  Something something good for the goose something something gander.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2021, 12:42:12 PM »

Back before rocks cooled, and tuition was perhaps 10K per year in current dollars, rather than 60K, the idea among the upper, upper middle class, was you went to college and studied the humanities and social sciences, etc., to enrich your life, discover yourself as a person, hone your writing and reasoning skills, and then went to "trade school," be it law, medicine, finance, engineering, etc. I suspect there is not much currency left in that ideal now. It's just too prohibitively expensive.
I just want to say that Engineering is most likely going to be a 4 year undergrad degree. Unless I am missing something ?

Perhaps.That is certainly the most typical. Engineering was outside my interest area, so I never paid any attention to it.

THANK you!  The fundamentals of the link between college education and employment have been severed so dramatically is romantically in the last few decades primarily because of the vast increase in the cost of education beyond the growth of inflation, which again has to do primarily with a reduction in government support , And fundamental changes in the  Is economy devastating the very concept of a middle class,  Or what is  Is primarily at fault here. It's not The Choice of undergraduate majors.Even 30 years ago people with philosophy, English, is the English, et cetera in cetera insert liberal arts here degrees graduated and did just fine the majority of the time.

I'm not saying that student student selection of undergraduate majors do it majors shouldn't adapt with The Times somewhat, but let's make it clear that just because OSR happened to be one of the very very small percentage of students whose 4 year degree is directly related to  If their post graduation employment field does not Mean that we should follow his effective advice of, As another poster put it,

<<So you're saying people who are born into wealthy families should go work at the family business and everyone else should go out and be a physical laborer or craftsman.

Congratulations, you just reinvented pre-Industrial Revolution Europe.>>

It also bears mentioning that while we are in a time of great economic expansion where skilled craftsmen like carpenters, truck drivers, bruckdriver's, et cetera Arden huge demand and  If can command good wages, let's never forget that for the last 40 Year non coincidentally with the advent of reaganomics,  Is these middle class skilled trade jobs have dwindled dwindled as far as a share of the employment pool.  While graduating from trade school with ACD L or electricians electricians certificate in 2021 might be great, looking at long term trends is Trent relying on such Is trade school education as a pathway to long longterm stable middle class employment, even if one works hard and is reasonably confident their job, is dicey at best
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies