American Gentry, or, the GOP's College-Educated Whites (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:30:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  American Gentry, or, the GOP's College-Educated Whites (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: American Gentry, or, the GOP's College-Educated Whites  (Read 2819 times)
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« on: September 24, 2021, 04:30:26 PM »

Speaking as someone who works in GOP politics I can confirm that the notion that much of the GOP base are wealthy midsize town residents is certainly partially true, but both parties receive a ton of money from huge corporations.

Also, wealthy non-college voters are a HUGE proportion of the GOP's support. Look at the Southern United States or Florida if you ever need any proof.

Because education is increasingly not required to be a member of the Republican party.
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 06:35:36 PM »

Speaking as someone who works in GOP politics I can confirm that the notion that much of the GOP base are wealthy midsize town residents is certainly partially true, but both parties receive a ton of money from huge corporations.

Also, wealthy non-college voters are a HUGE proportion of the GOP's support. Look at the Southern United States or Florida if you ever need any proof.

Because education is increasingly not required to be a member of the Republican party.

I mean a lot of the dem base by this same basis are people who got tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt majoring in useless sjw degrees which didnt have good job prospects at all and they ended up working jobs people with high school grads can as well.

Isnt it much smarter to be the kid who instead of doing that decided to work at his family business, go to trade school or obtain some type of professional license and end up making more money in the long run without ending up in so much debt.

At the end of the day the problem is the system that encourages people to take the path of option A instead of option B. Now you may argue college isnt just about bettering your job prospects but actually learning about something you want to learn, but in that case then the route that should be encouraged is going to a community college then a local university instead of incurring so much debt.

Just saying OSR you seem to have shifted further than -0.10 to 0.35 on social issues.

Anyway, I agree. The issue is that people have to make more considerations than just taking a job, like health care benefits and pensions plans.

College is, however, useful for degrees in non-SJW topics, of which there are many. One issue with getting jobs with a college degree is that most people go now, which is much different than decades ago. And these people are then picking dumb majors, like the 185,000 who enroll in gender studies programs every year.

We don't need anywhere near that number (or any), but this requires removing the stigma of not going to college, and of course to make sure there is an adequate job market for those who do (since there is a perception, with some truth, that non-college graduates can't get decent jobs).

I think the CA system used to be the top 10% for UC, next 30% for CS, and then the remainder to community college or trade schools. That is a good baseline, although we need to be careful to not end up like China or South Korea where class ranks are strict cut-offs that determine your life based off a few tests and result in hundreds of annual suicides.

theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 06:52:00 PM »

I mean a lot of the dem base by this same basis are people who got tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt majoring in useless sjw degrees which didnt have good job prospects at all and they ended up working jobs people with high school grads can as well.

Isnt it much smarter to be the kid who instead of doing that decided to work at his family business, go to trade school or obtain some type of professional license and end up making more money in the long run without ending up in so much debt.

At the end of the day the problem is the system that encourages people to take the path of option A instead of option B. Now you may argue college isnt just about bettering your job prospects but actually learning about something you want to learn, but in that case then the route that should be encouraged is going to a community college then a local university instead of incurring so much debt.

Just saying OSR you seem to have shifted further than -0.10 to 0.35 on social issues.

Anyway, I agree. The issue is that people have to make more considerations than just taking a job, like health care benefits and pensions plans.

College is, however, useful for degrees in non-SJW topics, of which there are many. One issue with getting jobs with a college degree is that most people go now, which is much different than decades ago. And these people are then picking dumb majors, like the 185,000 who enroll in gender studies programs every year.

We don't need anywhere near that number (or any), but this requires removing the stigma of not going to college, and of course to make sure there is an adequate job market for those who do (since there is a perception, with some truth, that non-college graduates can't get decent jobs).

I think the CA system used to be the top 10% for UC, next 30% for CS, and then the remainder to community college or trade schools. That is a good baseline, although we need to be careful to not end up like China or South Korea where class ranks are strict cut-offs that determine your life based off a few tests and result in hundreds of annual suicides.

Its not only a socially liberal/conservative position I am taking but an economic one too. Having a system that incentives Scenario A over B has been a disaster and is clearly not working at all. A solution I have heard which I am not on board with right now is that companies should be barred from requiring a college degree in jobs that don't really require you to have a degree to actually do.
The reason I oppose that at the moment is I do think that would be an infringement on the rights of businesses to hire whomever they want.

Maybe you can create certain types of tax incentives for companies that train their employees for those types of jobs rather then punt job training to colleges.

ah yes "incentivizing business while improving quality of life as a whole"

or as liberals call it "corporate welfare"
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 08:30:28 PM »

And these people are then picking dumb majors, like the 185,000 who enroll in gender studies programs every year.

That isn't happening.

Bachelor's degrees conferred by postsecondary institutions
MajorDegrees Conferred (2018)% Total
Business390,56419.4%
Health professions and related programs251,35512.5%
Social sciences and history160,6288.0%
Engineering126,6876.3%
Biological and biomedical sciences121,1916.0%
Psychology116,5365.8%
Communication, journalism, and related programs92,5284.6%
Visual and performing arts89,7304.5%
Computer and information sciences88,6334.4%