American Gentry, or, the GOP's College-Educated Whites (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:21:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  American Gentry, or, the GOP's College-Educated Whites (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: American Gentry, or, the GOP's College-Educated Whites  (Read 2828 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« on: September 24, 2021, 06:16:58 PM »
« edited: September 24, 2021, 06:21:42 PM by Old School Republican »

Speaking as someone who works in GOP politics I can confirm that the notion that much of the GOP base are wealthy midsize town residents is certainly partially true, but both parties receive a ton of money from huge corporations.

Also, wealthy non-college voters are a HUGE proportion of the GOP's support. Look at the Southern United States or Florida if you ever need any proof.

Because education is increasingly not required to be a member of the Republican party.

I mean a lot of the dem base by this same basis are people who got tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt majoring in useless sjw degrees which didnt have good job prospects at all and they ended up working jobs people with high school grads can as well.

Isnt it much smarter to be the kid who instead of doing that decided to work at his family business, go to trade school or obtain some type of professional license and end up making more money in the long run without ending up in so much debt.

At the end of the day the problem is the system that encourages people to take the path of option A instead of option B. Now you may argue college isnt just about bettering your job prospects but actually learning about something you want to learn, but in that case then the route that should be encouraged is going to a community college then a local university instead of incurring so much debt.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 06:46:31 PM »

Speaking as someone who works in GOP politics I can confirm that the notion that much of the GOP base are wealthy midsize town residents is certainly partially true, but both parties receive a ton of money from huge corporations.

Also, wealthy non-college voters are a HUGE proportion of the GOP's support. Look at the Southern United States or Florida if you ever need any proof.

Because education is increasingly not required to be a member of the Republican party.

I mean a lot of the dem base by this same basis are people who got tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt majoring in useless sjw degrees which didnt have good job prospects at all and they ended up working jobs people with high school grads can as well.

Isnt it much smarter to be the kid who instead of doing that decided to work at his family business, go to trade school or obtain some type of professional license and end up making more money in the long run without ending up in so much debt.

At the end of the day the problem is the system that encourages people to take the path of option A instead of option B. Now you may argue college isnt just about bettering your job prospects but actually learning about something you want to learn, but in that case then the route that should be encouraged is going to a community college then a local university instead of incurring so much debt.

Just saying OSR you seem to have shifted further than -0.10 to 0.35 on social issues.

Anyway, I agree. The issue is that people have to make more considerations than just taking a job, like health care benefits and pensions plans.

College is, however, useful for degrees in non-SJW topics, of which there are many. One issue with getting jobs with a college degree is that most people go now, which is much different than decades ago. And these people are then picking dumb majors, like the 185,000 who enroll in gender studies programs every year.

We don't need anywhere near that number (or any), but this requires removing the stigma of not going to college, and of course to make sure there is an adequate job market for those who do (since there is a perception, with some truth, that non-college graduates can't get decent jobs).

I think the CA system used to be the top 10% for UC, next 30% for CS, and then the remainder to community college or trade schools. That is a good baseline, although we need to be careful to not end up like China or South Korea where class ranks are strict cut-offs that determine your life based off a few tests and result in hundreds of annual suicides.

Its not only a socially liberal/conservative position I am taking but an economic one too. Having a system that incentives Scenario A over B has been a disaster and is clearly not working at all. A solution I have heard which I am not on board with right now is that companies should be barred from requiring a college degree in jobs that don't really require you to have a degree to actually do.
The reason I oppose that at the moment is I do think that would be an infringement on the rights of businesses to hire whomever they want.

Maybe you can create certain types of tax incentives for companies that train their employees for those types of jobs rather then punt job training to colleges.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 06:55:06 PM »

Great point. Why indeed didn't these these millions of people simply enter a completely non existent lucrative family business instead of going to college and earning a degree in order to increase their employment prospects?After all, getting a job after college unrelatedTo one's degree 90% of the time has been the norm for only (checks notes)  Well over a century.

How the hell is going into tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands in debt for a degree that has very little job prospects a good economic decision lol.

Also I notice how you also didnt read the part where I said or go to Trade School or get a Professional License.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 07:19:07 PM »

Great point. Why indeed didn't these these millions of people simply enter a completely non existent lucrative family business instead of going to college and earning a degree in order to increase their employment prospects?After all, getting a job after college unrelatedTo one's degree 90% of the time has been the norm for only (checks notes)  Well over a century.

How the hell is going into tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands in debt for a degree that has very little job prospects a good economic decision lol.

Also I notice how you also didnt read the part where I said or go to Trade School or get a Professional License.

I ignored it because you're blossom insistence that people should just join these lucrative family vit businesses which you seem to believe are commonplace was  Is jaw droppingly foolish. As is your assertion that  The major to a 4 year degree matters much much 90% of the time in terms  Of post graduation employment.

Remember, Well paying skilled blue collar jobs have been declining is climbing in number drastically for the last 40 years.It's not like if 10% of current is of current bachelor candidate left college and took up plumbing There would be suddenly lots of 25 to $30 an hour plumbing jobs available.

Just curious. You've graduated college in the last couple years IRC. Why did you bother to do so and incur all that student debt rather than getting a nice honest trade school diploma  For carpentry or the like?

I see you have trouble reading, as my scenario was literally describing people who get major in degrees like "gender studies" or degrees with terrible job prospects and end up working at Starbucks for minimum wage while incurring tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt.

That is clearly a terrible financial choice and has caused some issues for our economy. I was clearly describing that and not people who major in degrees like Engineering, CS, Pre-Med, Pre-Law, Accounting, Finance Etc

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 08:32:35 PM »

Great point. Why indeed didn't these these millions of people simply enter a completely non existent lucrative family business instead of going to college and earning a degree in order to increase their employment prospects?After all, getting a job after college unrelatedTo one's degree 90% of the time has been the norm for only (checks notes)  Well over a century.

So you're saying people who are born into wealthy families should go work at the family business and everyone else should go out and be a physical laborer or craftsman.

Congratulations, you just reinvented pre-Industrial Revolution Europe.

Those jobs you  are mocking pay more than most retail jobs. Also no once again libs like you are having trouble reading as I was clearly talking about majors with very little job prospects not majors with good ones
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2021, 01:24:34 AM »

So you're saying people who are born into wealthy families should go work at the family business and everyone else should go out and be a physical laborer or craftsman.

Now, since you're half assed point on this has been decimated by the previous 2  Posts, let's get back to my query as to why you you personally chose to go off and get a 4 year degree rather than do the smart thing and avoid all that college debt by going to trade school?

I love how your reading skills are so bad that you couldn’t understand I was talking about particular majors and not degrees  in general .

Either that or you are being extremely disingenuous as usual
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2021, 01:17:28 PM »

Now, since you're half assed point on this has been decimated by the previous 2  Posts, let's get back to my query as to why you you personally chose to go off and get a 4 year degree rather than do the smart thing and avoid all that college debt by going to trade school?

I love how your reading skills are so bad that you couldn’t understand I was talking about particular majors and not degrees  in general .

Either that or you are being extremely disingenuous as usual
SNIp

I graduated with a degree in accounting and am current pursuing a CPA and also I didn’t go to an out of state university  either . I went to my local university and committed every day to college to make sure I didn’t have to go into debt to pay for a dorm as well .

If you notice I said if people took that route then it wouldn’t be dumb either cause that route is relatively cheap(less than 10k a year ) and you wouldn't get in much debt at all .

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies