American Gentry, or, the GOP's College-Educated Whites
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:21:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  American Gentry, or, the GOP's College-Educated Whites
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: American Gentry, or, the GOP's College-Educated Whites  (Read 2791 times)
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2021, 08:30:28 PM »

And these people are then picking dumb majors, like the 185,000 who enroll in gender studies programs every year.

That isn't happening.

Bachelor's degrees conferred by postsecondary institutions
MajorDegrees Conferred (2018)% Total
Business390,56419.4%
Health professions and related programs251,35512.5%
Social sciences and history160,6288.0%
Engineering126,6876.3%
Biological and biomedical sciences121,1916.0%
Psychology116,5365.8%
Communication, journalism, and related programs92,5284.6%
Visual and performing arts89,7304.5%
Computer and information sciences88,6334.4%
Education83,9464.2%

Source: National Center for Education Statistics

In total, so 1/4 of that annually.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2021, 08:32:35 PM »

Speaking as someone who works in GOP politics I can confirm that the notion that much of the GOP base are wealthy midsize town residents is certainly partially true, but both parties receive a ton of money from huge corporations.

Also, wealthy non-college voters are a HUGE proportion of the GOP's support. Look at the Southern United States or Florida if you ever need any proof.

Because education is increasingly not required to be a member of the Republican party.

I mean a lot of the dem base by this same basis are people who got tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt majoring in useless sjw degrees which didnt have good job prospects at all and they ended up working jobs people with high school grads can as well.

Isnt it much smarter to be the kid who instead of doing that decided to work at his family business, go to trade school or obtain some type of professional license and end up making more money in the long run without ending up in so much debt.

At the end of the day the problem is the system that encourages people to take the path of option A instead of option B. Now you may argue college isnt just about bettering your job prospects but actually learning about something you want to learn, but in that case then the route that should be encouraged is going to a community college then a local university instead of incurring so much debt.

Great point. Why indeed didn't these these millions of people simply enter a completely non existent lucrative family business instead of going to college and earning a degree in order to increase their employment prospects?After all, getting a job after college unrelatedTo one's degree 90% of the time has been the norm for only (checks notes)  Well over a century.

How the hell is going into tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands in debt for a degree that has very little job prospects a good economic decision lol.

Also I notice how you also didnt read the part where I said or go to Trade School or get a Professional License.

So you're saying people who are born into wealthy families should go work at the family business and everyone else should go out and be a physical laborer or craftsman.

Congratulations, you just reinvented pre-Industrial Revolution Europe.

Those jobs you  are mocking pay more than most retail jobs. Also no once again libs like you are having trouble reading as I was clearly talking about majors with very little job prospects not majors with good ones
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2021, 08:48:49 PM »

I mean a lot of the dem base by this same basis are people who got tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt majoring in useless sjw degrees which didnt have good job prospects at all and they ended up working jobs people with high school grads can as well.
The actual number of people who do this is relatively low, and the number of people who do this and end up hundreds of thousands in debt is basically non-existent. People with 6-figure student loan balances almost always have graduate and/or professional degrees, and almost never in a "SJW" subject.

Even in a market economy, we need some people who are motivated by things other than money, or "ROI", such as teachers, whom I think the vast majority of people can agree should be educated to degree level.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2021, 08:50:18 PM »

And these people are then picking dumb majors, like the 185,000 who enroll in gender studies programs every year.

That isn't happening.

Business390,56419.4%
Engineering126,6876.3%
Psychology116,5365.8%
Education83,9464.2%

In total, so 1/4 of that annually.

If 185,000 people enroll in a four-year "gender studies" degree program annually, one of those cohorts would be graduating every year, so you'd be getting 185,000 degrees conferred annually (let's ignore dropouts and people changing majors).

You claimed 185,000 people enroll in "gender studies" programs when that's more than the number of people who get degrees in any social science.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2021, 08:54:02 PM »

Speaking as someone who works in GOP politics I can confirm that the notion that much of the GOP base are wealthy midsize town residents is certainly partially true, but both parties receive a ton of money from huge corporations.

Also, wealthy non-college voters are a HUGE proportion of the GOP's support. Look at the Southern United States or Florida if you ever need any proof.

Because education is increasingly not required to be a member of the Republican party.

Isnt it much smarter to be the kid who instead of doing that decided to work at his family business, go to trade school or obtain some type of professional license and end up making more money in the long run without ending up in so much debt.

At the end of the day the problem is the system that encourages people to take the path of option A instead of option B. Now you may argue college isnt just about bettering your job prospects but actually learning about something you want to learn, but in that case then the route that should be encouraged is going to a community college then a local university instead of incurring so much debt.

Great point. Why indeed didn't these these millions of people simply enter a completely non existent lucrative family business instead of going to college and earning a degree in order to increase their employment prospects?After all, getting a job after college unrelatedTo one's degree 90% of the time has been the norm for only (checks notes)  Well over a century.

How the hell is going into tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands in debt for a degree that has very little job prospects a good economic decision lol.

Also I notice how you also didnt read the part where I said or go to Trade School or get a Professional License.

So you're saying people who are born into wealthy families should go work at the family business and everyone else should go out and be a physical laborer or craftsman.

Those jobs you  are mocking pay more than most retail jobs. Also no once again libs like you are having trouble reading as I was clearly talking about majors with very little job prospects not majors with good ones

What is a major with good or bad job prospects?

Mitt Romney majored in English in college. Seems like it worked out okay for him.

Meanwhile one of my college classmates got a BBA in marketing and worked at an Enterprise car rental counter after graduation. Not to belittle the esteemed and valuable rental car industry, but I don't see how taking a car reservation and giving someone the keys is a job that requires a college degree or why that is meaningfully different from getting a Medieval history degree and working at a coffee shop. At least the barista at the coffee shop enjoyed four years of rich intellectual life while the marketing major was taking multiple choice tests and reading incredibly dumbed down business textbooks.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2021, 09:09:03 PM »

What is a major with good or bad job prospects?

Mitt Romney majored in English in college. Seems like it worked out okay for him.

Meanwhile one of my college classmates got a BBA in marketing and worked at an Enterprise car rental counter after graduation. Not to belittle the esteemed and valuable rental car industry, but I don't see how taking a car reservation and giving someone the keys is a job that requires a college degree or why that is meaningfully different from getting a Medieval history degree and working at a coffee shop. At least the barista at the coffee shop enjoyed four years of rich intellectual life while the marketing major was taking multiple choice tests and reading incredibly dumbed down business textbooks.

Mittens' father was the Governor of Michigan. Math is a major with objectively good job prospects if you have even the most basic social skills and the motivation to get a "real job". And if the history major and marketing major went to the same school, the history major was probably sitting in canned lectures taught by an underpaid adjunct who moonlights as an Uber driver.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2021, 12:20:23 AM »
« Edited: September 25, 2021, 12:23:25 AM by Badger »

Now, since you're half assed point on this has been decimated by the previous 2  Posts, let's get back to my query as to why you you personally chose to go off and get a 4 year degree rather than do the smart thing and avoid all that college debt by going to trade school?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2021, 01:24:34 AM »

Now, since you're half assed point on this has been decimated by the previous 2  Posts, let's get back to my query as to why you you personally chose to go off and get a 4 year degree rather than do the smart thing and avoid all that college debt by going to trade school?

I love how your reading skills are so bad that you couldn’t understand I was talking about particular majors and not degrees  in general .

Either that or you are being extremely disingenuous as usual
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2021, 01:59:11 AM »

I pretty much agree with everything in the first post except the connotation. These people should be given the entire world.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2021, 07:56:32 AM »

There were a handful of that "American Gentry" at my alma mater.   Mostly dude-bros. 

Many of them cheated (blatantly plagiarized) their term papers and final exams.  Especially the higher-level 300 and 400 courses.   One of them even indirectly accused ME of ratting them out to the professor (but he was really nice about it.  I would have kicked his ass if he aggressively came at me like a bitch).

giggles.  *And no, they were not expelled.  But they should have.*
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2021, 08:06:58 AM »

I love how your reading skills are so bad that you couldn’t understand I was talking about particular majors and not degrees  in general .

You're KIND OF right but what if there is someone who is an extremely talented writer? We need a bigger middle class than we have had in the class since the Industrial Revolution. It is what it is. My main gripe with OSR is that though there are good things in the argument, he lacks persuasion as a result of ironically becoming more enamored with a Trumpy-stryle anti-intellectualism. The point isn't that going to college is for idiots (a lot of the criminals I lived around believed this), or that we "don't need" people to go to college. The problem is that colleges admit too many people who aren't qualified and many majors and colleges will just take "the money" of the students regardless of whether or not those students are qualified. The reason why your buddy couldn't get a job after Art School or Honors College is because people who didn't have the skills were brought into the program anyways. That's why they can't get a job. There's even CS graduates that can't get jobs in technology because they can't "Fizz Buzz". Look it up. It was very depressing during the technical interview for the $131,560 job. I just got at Wells Fargo and I got that problem.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2021, 08:07:53 AM »
« Edited: September 25, 2021, 08:10:58 AM by Universe Man »

There were a handful of that "American Gentry" at my alma mater.   Mostly dude-bros.  

Many of them cheated (blatantly plagiarized) their term papers and final exams.  Especially the higher-level 300 and 400 courses.   One of them even indirectly accused ME of ratting them out to the professor (but he was really nice about it.  I would have kicked his ass if he aggressively came at me like a bitch).

giggles.  *And no, they were not expelled.  But they should have.*

Oh. That's nothing. One of them at my college got away with masturbating in front of a Domestic Violence charity event. People were upset and he complained about the "universal complaint" against him by the town and the school. Nothing came of it. I don't even think he needed to apologize. Unfortunately, a lot of these "woke" problems are not borne out of aggression and boredom in the ways the voters and officials on the right side of the aisle tend to characterize it as.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2021, 08:10:01 AM »

There were a handful of that "American Gentry" at my alma mater.   Mostly dude-bros. 

Many of them cheated (blatantly plagiarized) their term papers and final exams.  Especially the higher-level 300 and 400 courses.   One of them even indirectly accused ME of ratting them out to the professor (but he was really nice about it.  I would have kicked his ass if he aggressively came at me like a bitch).

giggles.  *And no, they were not expelled.  But they should have.*

Oh. That's nothing. One of them at my college got away with masturbating in front of a Domestic Violence charity event.

That's a victimless crime in my book.   

(it's just a penis, people)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2021, 08:15:54 AM »
« Edited: September 25, 2021, 08:18:57 AM by Universe Man »

There were a handful of that "American Gentry" at my alma mater.   Mostly dude-bros.  

Many of them cheated (blatantly plagiarized) their term papers and final exams.  Especially the higher-level 300 and 400 courses.   One of them even indirectly accused ME of ratting them out to the professor (but he was really nice about it.  I would have kicked his ass if he aggressively came at me like a bitch).

giggles.  *And no, they were not expelled.  But they should have.*

Oh. That's nothing. One of them at my college got away with masturbating in front of a Domestic Violence charity event.

That's a victimless crime in my book.  

(it's just a penis, people)

Don't give me ideas. Me and my wife bought a "Hound" puppy(Beagle/Treeing Walker Mix) during the lockdown and she has grown into a very hyperactive and domineering dog. The "hunt" is very strong in her and she will howl at and hump other animals. She's not violent at least. It would be funny just to train her to hump random people by introducing her as "Dognald Hump". I don't think I could get away with it.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2021, 01:09:02 PM »

Quite sniveling and answer the question. Is it that you are all in favor  Of other people taking on physically strange is physically strenuous careers often working in the frigid cold or blistering sun much of the year, But you yourself you consider exempt from such Is hardships and keeping the gateway open to an upper middle class to wealthy lifestyle?

I think you were vastly overestimating how as you put it some degrees are some degrees are beneficial for Is post bachelor's employment.  Do you really think a bachelor's in business administration is really that much more helpful for an entry level paper clip counting position is position than a 4 year degree in say history? The point is that someone was able to stick it out for 4 years and learn how to do critical thinking. Is. Sure, an entry level engineering firm isn't going to be interested in someone with a divinity degree.  The Choice of major one has  Is is it best incidental to one's post bachelor's employment prospects.

Is the ugly reality you refuse to acknowledge, is that governmental support  Of upper education, especially if Alma especially in public colleges, has dwindled dramatically in the last several decades. Look at the Is relative cost even after inflation of a 4 year degree 40 or 50 years ago compared to now. Oh, what's that you want to blame it on teacher unions and and administrative bureaucracies like a good little conservative robot is little conservative robot? Think again. Look up how much the Is difference in state contributions towards is tuition at Ohio state R compared to 40 years ago. Back then the vast majority of of the budget was covered by Steve it's a state funding. Now, it's only a small percentage. GG, I wonder which politician and party started that trend about 40 years ago. But I so much easier for you and your Weird fetish of ReaganTo instead blame it onIs college students getting liberal arts degrees in the same ratio they did 40 years ago but without the same barriers to employment because it made because the economy has been so royally ed in the Last half century

So I repeat, why did you exempt yourself from trade school and get yourself a 4 year degree with all that mountain college debt?  Something something good for the goose something something gander.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2021, 01:17:28 PM »

SNIp

I graduated with a degree in accounting and am current pursuing a CPA and also I didn’t go to an out of state university  either . I went to my local university and committed every day to college to make sure I didn’t have to go into debt to pay for a dorm as well .

If you notice I said if people took that route then it wouldn’t be dumb either cause that route is relatively cheap(less than 10k a year ) and you wouldn't get in much debt at all .

Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2021, 01:28:00 PM »

This thread degenerated.

OP was good though.
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2021, 01:32:37 PM »

The actual number of people who do this is relatively low, and the number of people who do this and end up hundreds of thousands in debt is basically non-existent. People with 6-figure student loan balances almost always have graduate and/or professional degrees, and almost never in a "SJW" subject.

Even in a market economy, we need some people who are motivated by things other than money, or "ROI", such as teachers, whom I think the vast majority of people can agree should be educated to degree level.

Yeah this, aside from the MA in Art people I’ve never had the privilege of meeting in person. And FWIW most of the SJWish people in my personal social network were not social science majors. It’s more tech, pre-health/healthcare, and people pursuing PhDs in STEM fields as opposed to PoliSci or pre-law types- but that’s just what my college-(+) social circle is like in general.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2021, 03:20:05 PM »

That isn't happening.

Business390,56419.4%
Engineering126,6876.3%
Psychology116,5365.8%
Education83,9464.2%

According to your data, 22.9% of college grads have degrees that make it really hard to find a job without grad school. (Social sciences, psychology, arts, journalism). Plus plenty of STEM majors like math or biology can't really do much with their degrees without medical school or some form of ceritifcation
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2021, 01:08:26 AM »

Reminds one of the Court vs Country Party divide in 18th Century England.

The only thing I would add to the article is that the local gentry does not just exist in the smaller metropolitan areas or the countryside but even in core cities like New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Washington DC. While the billionaires run multinational corporations or deal with high finance, the local gentry handles more humdrum business such as constructing the skyscrapers in which the ultrawealthy as well as the professional managerial class will work in. Donald Trump and his father are classic examples of Outer Borough local gentry.
Epaminondas

« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2021, 08:46:07 AM »
« Edited: September 26, 2021, 10:31:33 AM by Epaminondas »

They get away with saying they aren't part of the elite because they live in mid-sized cities and aren't part of the cultural elite. In fact, however, they have more money than many of the cultural elites in the big cities that they disdain.

You're right.
Only in the US can millionaires claim not to be in the elite.
The lack of self-awareness is painful.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2021, 10:56:57 PM »

They get away with saying they aren't part of the elite because they live in mid-sized cities and aren't part of the cultural elite. In fact, however, they have more money than many of the cultural elites in the big cities that they disdain.

You're right.

Compared to the elite of Europe, most of the American elite are new money. And there is also massive inequality within the elite. The 10 richest American billionaires are worth at least $60 billion each, and three of them (Bezos, Musk, and Gates) are worth over $100 billion. They each have tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of times the amount of money that a "mere" millionaire has.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2021, 11:57:59 PM »

You're right.

Compared to the elite of Europe, most of the American elite are new money. And there is also massive inequality within the elite. The 10 richest American billionaires are worth at least $60 billion each, and three of them (Bezos, Musk, and Gates) are worth over $100 billion. They each have tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of times the amount of money that a "mere" millionaire has.

There is a big inequality between Bezos, Musk and Gates. Gates has divested and diversified his way to quasi-infinite wealth, while Bezos and especially Musk are just founders riding the stock market and can borrow against their stock for liquidity.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2021, 12:28:31 AM »

That isn't happening.

Business390,56419.4%
Engineering126,6876.3%
Psychology116,5365.8%
Education83,9464.2%

> "enrolling in dumb majors isn't happening"
> Most popular enrollment is business
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2021, 12:47:43 AM »

That isn't happening.

Business390,56419.4%
Engineering126,6876.3%
Psychology116,5365.8%