43 To Attend Fundraiser for Cheney - Battle Between the GOP Presidents
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:04:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  43 To Attend Fundraiser for Cheney - Battle Between the GOP Presidents
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 43 To Attend Fundraiser for Cheney - Battle Between the GOP Presidents  (Read 762 times)
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2021, 03:10:06 PM »

Now that Trump has endorsed one of Cheney's primary opponents in 2022, GWB has entered the fray as well, to defend Cheney.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/liz-cheneys-re-election-bid-pits-trump-against-bush-11632303001
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/george-bush-fundraise--liz-cheney

Still don't think this will be much of a contest. GWB doesn't carry much stature in the party (not as much as his father) and Trump is the GOP base's god; just about anyone with his endorsement will win a GOP primary. But personally I think if Bush keeps up the criticism of Trump and insurrection generally, he may start earning redemption for the hot mess that was the Iraq War.

IDK about that. His dad openly voted for Hillary. And was far more moderate in general. The base may have turned on Dubya, but they turned on HW long before that.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2021, 03:18:51 PM »

Now that Trump has endorsed one of Cheney's primary opponents in 2022, GWB has entered the fray as well, to defend Cheney.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/liz-cheneys-re-election-bid-pits-trump-against-bush-11632303001

Still don't think this will be much of a contest. GWB doesn't carry much stature in the party (not as much as his father) and Trump is the GOP base's god; just about anyone with his endorsement will win a GOP primary. But personally I think if Bush keeps up the criticism of Trump and insurrection generally, he may start earning redemption for the hot mess that was the Iraq War.

IDK about that. His dad openly voted for Hillary. And was far more moderate in general. The base may have turned on Dubya, but they turned on HW long before that.

Dubya says he voted for Condi Rice in 2020, but I suspect he may have actually voted for Biden. Anyway, the GOP have long ago turned on both Bush’s in favor of a wannabe dictator. I doubt he holds anywhere near as much influence within the electorate as Trump does.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2021, 03:20:56 PM »

Dubya says he voted for Condi Rice in 2020, but I suspect he may have actually voted for Biden. Anyway, the GOP have long ago turned on both Bush’s in favor of a wannabe dictator. I doubt he holds anywhere near as much influence within the electorate as Trump does.

I share that suspicion but that's why I said "openly."
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2021, 04:08:19 PM »

I really, really hope Cheney pulls this off, she's a pretty standard conservative and has no reason to be primaried other than refusing to back the lie that the election was stolen. If she loses, it'll send a very bad sign about the future of our democracy.

I disagree with this. What it will say is that the GOP is full of loony tunes and can't be taken seriously.

Liz Cheney needs to set her sights much much higher than the state of WY, or of being a House member.

She has what it takes to go to the top of the ticket. After, that is, they get rid of the lunatic fringe in her party. So how to go about doing that? Keep telling the truth, like Liz Cheney is doing. She is consistent with her message. Of all the politicians I see out there, she has the pedigree and all that it takes to run this country. Her voice will not be quelled but listened to, eventually. She has right on her side.

I am not endorsing her for President, just saying she has all that is necessary to do the job, in my estimation.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2021, 04:20:46 PM »

I really, really hope Cheney pulls this off, she's a pretty standard conservative and has no reason to be primaried other than refusing to back the lie that the election was stolen. If she loses, it'll send a very bad sign about the future of our democracy.

I disagree with this. What it will say is that the GOP is full of loony tunes and can't be taken seriously.

Liz Cheney needs to set her sights much much higher than the state of WY, or of being a House member.

She has what it takes to go to the top of the ticket. After, that is, they get rid of the lunatic fringe in her party. So how to go about doing that? Keep telling the truth, like Liz Cheney is doing. She is consistent with her message. Of all the politicians I see out there, she has the pedigree and all that it takes to run this country. Her voice will not be quelled but listened to, eventually. She has right on her side.

I am not endorsing her for President, just saying she has all that is necessary to do the job, in my estimation.

Yeah, I mean, Democrats right now have a national trifecta. It isn't really a problem for the nation yet, at least not until the GOP controls government again (which won't happen until at least 2025, and probably after that).
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2021, 09:37:20 AM »

If Cheney loses, she should run as an independent.

I believe that Wyoming has a sore loser law.

No sore losers?  So does that mean Trump can't be on the 2024 ballot there or does it only apply to local candidates?

Sore loser laws refer to primaries. It's so someone who loses the primary can't launch an independent campaign to spite the person who beat them.

Trump lose a general election so it wouldn't apply, not that it's a rule for national campaigns anyway.

I know.  I remember when Joe Lieberman was called Sore Loserman for this reason.  I'm kidding of course because Donald Trump is the ultimate sore loser.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2021, 09:43:56 AM »

Look forward, not backward (to the cursed 2000s).
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2021, 08:48:52 PM »

It's not surprising that Bush would be supporting the daughter of his former Vice President. He continues to firmly back establishment Republicans. Back in 2018, for example, he interceded with Susan Collins on Brett Kavanaugh's behalf. Kavanaugh, as we should remember, was appointed to the D.C. Circuit by Bush in 2006.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2021, 11:41:40 AM »

Bush 43 is a loser, but he does appear to stand by his friends.  I'll give him that.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2021, 03:57:15 PM »

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-sends-supporters-bizarre-photoshopped-photo-of-bush-and-cheney-b1926248.html

Angry  Best POTUS ever
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2021, 11:08:45 AM »

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-sends-supporters-bizarre-photoshopped-photo-of-bush-and-cheney-b1926248.html

Angry  Best POTUS ever

He's like a 10-year-old in the body of a 75-year-old man with his own cult...and this picture proves it.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2021, 10:06:09 PM »

Angry  Best POTUS ever

Trump may have "had access" to the nuclear codes, but I always slept better when I thought of the actual process for using them.

Gold Codes are generated daily and provided by the National Security Agency (NSA) to the White House, The Pentagon, United States Strategic Command, and TACAMO. For an extra level of security, the list of codes on the card includes codes that have no meaning, and therefore the president must memorize where on the list the correct code is located. The concept behind the codes is that they permit the president to positively identify themself as the commander-in-chief and thereby authenticate a launch order to the National Military Command Center (NMCC)

If there's anyone who thinks Donnie Dumb**** could manage using that, or even bother to regularly remember to carry his card, Mike Lindell has some yard signs to sell you.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2021, 11:16:44 PM »

These people will never go away will they?
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2021, 12:13:03 AM »

This is another desert war the Cheney’s won’t win.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies