When did Hungary, Poland, Venezuela, Turkey, and The Philippines began democratic backsliding? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:14:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  When did Hungary, Poland, Venezuela, Turkey, and The Philippines began democratic backsliding? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: When did Hungary, Poland, Venezuela, Turkey, and The Philippines began democratic backsliding?  (Read 866 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: September 23, 2021, 02:03:49 PM »

There's some truth to what PSOL is saying about Poland and Hungary, in the sense that these weren't polities that ever really completed a transition to liberal democracy in the first place and so the democratic backsliding there is really best understood as the West no longer having the moral capital to force them to LARP as liberal democracies. He's also right that Turkey has always been like this and that the death knell for Venezuela was probably Maduro succeeding Chavez (I'd add that if Capriles had beaten Maduro in 2013 there might have been an Eisenhower-style consolidation of a somewhat-watered-down Bolivarian consensus, rather than what Venezuela actually got.)  I don't know enough about the Philippines to say for sure but I suspect that it's, again, kind of always been like this on one level or another.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies