Atlas Redistricting Commission (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:26:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Atlas Redistricting Commission (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Atlas Redistricting Commission  (Read 7384 times)
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: September 23, 2021, 11:44:48 AM »

Yup.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 05:01:29 AM »

My inclination is that we should just rotate out who does different states and pass maps for all 50 (well, excluding single-district states.) It would be such a shame to exclude NY/FL/TX/CA--that's where redistricting gets complicated enough to be interesting.

I also think the map-drawing process should--somehow--be collaborative rather than individuals bringing different maps for a simple up-down vote. Somehow, multiple ideas should be synthesized rather than seeing each map proposal as final and immutable.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 02:13:26 PM »

Regarding states and rules, here are my thoughts - doing every state is definitely a daunting task, but I'm willing to if other people are down. My other idea was to have a Commission A and Commission B - Democrats would be split between the commissions, while Republicans and indies would serve on both commissions. Each commission would draw the maps for randomly selected states with roughly equal district counts. This could make it easier to cover every state. Alternatively, we could select one or a few medium sized states to do. For rules, I definitely agree that while we should pass guidelines they should not be set in stone (i.e. feel free to interpret them in ways favorable to your party and try to argue these points to the commission). For map drawing, it's possible that first draft duties are split evenly between members - and, I concur that a decent period for revisions, both within factions and among the greater commission, will greatly add to the experience.

I like option two, especially to get through every state. Last time around, there were like 30 interested participants. Why not split that down into several groups of 4-6 people to discuss and pass maps for all 50 states? Divide the states into groups and let people choose the group of states that interests them most. Maybe use weighted voting for every participant to have a final up/down vote on every map or send back to committee.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies