FT: The French are right about the Americans (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:23:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  FT: The French are right about the Americans (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FT: The French are right about the Americans  (Read 765 times)
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« on: September 24, 2021, 07:00:31 PM »

We've recently found out that the French have apparently been delusional for decades (centuries?) about just how powerful they really are.

AND they are also apparently EXTREMELY sensitive about the fact that their submarine-building skills suck compared to the US.

I find it very funny how Americans are just looking on the whole thing with mild bemusement while the French just absolutely lose their s--t. Calm down, mes amies. Just because you have a military parade to celebrate the ancient times of Napoleon when you WERE actually formidable does not change the fact that you have been coasting -- hell, surviving -- on US military power since before the end of WW2. (You know, when you absolutely blew it and surrendered.)

It's OK; you can still make baguettes and take pride in your history and keep Paris a cool place for tourists to visit. But it's time to come crashing down to reality; you haven't been a serious world power since 1940. I'm sorry that apparently took 81 years to sink in, but it is what it is. It happens to all nations that are riding high at some point, probably will to us eventually (maybe sooner than later). But right now? You just don't hold any cards at all really. It's cute you have a few nukes, but so does Pakistan. Hell, so does North Korea! Does that make them great powers in the world? I don't think so.

At least the Brits accepted the fact that their empire collapsed long ago and have dealt with it; even Brexit, despite playing on nostalgia, wasn't seriously trying to make the case that the former glory of the British Empire could be restored. I find it hilariously bizarre how much pride Macron and the French seem to take in something that has been dead and buried for even longer than British power.
France is still definitely a formidable regional power. You’d be surprised how much they intervene in the affairs of West African countries still.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies