Subreddit celebrating/mocking anti-vaxxers who die of COVID explodes in popularity
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:15:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Subreddit celebrating/mocking anti-vaxxers who die of COVID explodes in popularity
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Subreddit celebrating/mocking anti-vaxxers who die of COVID explodes in popularity  (Read 1691 times)
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2021, 02:03:19 PM »

Why should I be sad when a terrible human being dies?
There is a humongous difference between being sad and openly cheering their death.
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2021, 02:05:02 PM »

This is what politics is today. When Carter, Volcker, and Reagan removed material concerns from the agenda, all that remained to argue is the distribution of pain. We are two warring camps, snarling and howling and dancing on each other's graves.

You mean when people stopped voting for their immediate interests and only voted based on their identity? And you solely blame these individuals?

I should have been more specific. When the United States had a vibrant labor movement, politics was a struggle over material interests. That movement was broken in the 30 years after World War Two, from Tart-Hartley, through the turbulent sixties, to the neoliberal turn under Carter and Reagan. Once economic issues were handed over to the banks (see NYC being allowed to go bankrupt in 1977 and the Volcker Shock in 1979), all that was left to the realm of politics were issues of "culture" or, as you put it, identity.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2021, 02:33:37 PM »

That subreddit, and a ton of posts on these threads, are just tasteless and pretty disgusting.

Mocking the dead and cheering on the death of people, even terrible people, is just cruel and totally unhelpful.

Empathy towards people without any empathy themselves is hard, and frustrating. But that doesn't mean you should just throw empathy out the window and cheer for deaths.
R.P. McM
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2021, 07:40:31 AM »

I looked at it and the language of the commentators is ugh....

But. It serves a purpose. Nearly every single example starts off with memes, liberal bashing, making fun of vaccines and the pandemic. Then ends with thoughts, prayers and a go fund me.

It's damning.

The issue is, why has the US failed these people at every stage? What makes these people embrace absolute nihilism that breeds self acquired ignorance, self aggrandisement and endorsing a system that leaves them dead and in debt?

The US didn't fail Boomer conservatives; they failed the country, the planet, and every subsequent generation. Through their own selfish, sadistic, bigoted, moronic choices.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2021, 08:10:30 AM »

If you actually click around on the subreddit some and read the posts, it's not nearly as bad as it's being portrayed on this thread.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2021, 08:31:39 AM »

I scanned over this reddit, and it doesn’t seem to be highlighting the deaths of people who just haven’t gotten around to being vaccinated yet or who don’t have access to information about the vaccine or the resources to get vaccinated.

From what I can tell, it is only highlighting the deaths of those who are deliberating spreading vaccine misinformation, usually in service to some Trumpist/white supremacist ideology. 

It is a little bit distasteful to be appearing to celebrate the death of anyone.  But we are in a war against covid and these people are enemy combatants on the other side (again, not just unvaccinated people but anti-vax propogandists), a side which is responsible for the deaths of tens of thousands of innocent people.  I don’t see how it is any different than celebrating the death of al-Qaida soldiers.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2021, 04:37:54 PM »

It's a great sub and one I browse often. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. They brought it on themselves.

I can't wait to say this when the next unarmed minority gets shot by a cop, and for you to call me a racist, and for the wheels on the bus to go round and round.

Unarmed minorites aren't the same as anti-vacciners. Not all lives are created equal if the person doesn't value their own life enough to get the vaccine. Not saying their death should be celebrated but no one should mourn it as they called it upon themselves. On the other hand, people like George Floyd didn't deserve to die and didn't call it upon themselves by refusing to take an important and very simple measure for their health.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2021, 08:22:00 PM »

Hey if you guys really support this let's mandate that every American get vaccinated with the punishment for violating the mandate being summary execution! If you really think refusing a vaccine means you deserve to die you shouldn't object to this at all.

The young far left in this country deserves to be called evil. This isn't about vaccines, people do dumb things that put other people in danger all the time without anyone wishing for their deaths. Like if a drunk driver gets killed it's still sad and I don't think anyone would dispute that. They like them dying because being anti-vaxx means they're likely on the other side of the culture war. They'd just as soon want them killed for being an evangelical Christian, eating red meat, thinking we should have a police force, or thinking there's such a thing as objective reality. Their ideal government is probably something like the Khmer Rouge.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2021, 11:04:44 PM »

Hey if you guys really support this let's mandate that every American get vaccinated with the punishment for violating the mandate being summary execution! If you really think refusing a vaccine means you deserve to die you shouldn't object to this at all.

The young far left in this country deserves to be called evil. This isn't about vaccines, people do dumb things that put other people in danger all the time without anyone wishing for their deaths. Like if a drunk driver gets killed it's still sad and I don't think anyone would dispute that. They like them dying because being anti-vaxx means they're likely on the other side of the culture war. They'd just as soon want them killed for being an evangelical Christian, eating red meat, thinking we should have a police force, or thinking there's such a thing as objective reality. Their ideal government is probably something like the Khmer Rouge.

As I mentioned in my earlier response, this reddit doesn’t appear to about unvaccinated people; it is about people deliberately spreading antivax misinformation.  I don’t support the death penalty, but this should be illegal, in same sense that false advertising and fraud are illegal.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies