Maine Governor Megathread: LePage Round 3
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:41:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Maine Governor Megathread: LePage Round 3
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Maine Governor Megathread: LePage Round 3  (Read 3232 times)
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 22, 2021, 04:20:55 PM »

We don't have a thread for this yet, so here we go

Collins will endorse LePage, she did endorse him in 2014, though this feels like a pretty early endorsement.

Also just to keep track of who's running so far: incumbent Democrat Janet Mills is running and former Governor Paul LePage is the only Republican in so far, this would be his third bid for the office.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 12:08:15 AM »

We had a mini-thread back when LePage announced, though it hasn't been posted in in a while.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 10:45:30 AM »

Collins really doesn't care about even pretending to be "moderate" anymore, does she?
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 11:23:55 AM »

Collins really doesn't care about even pretending to be "moderate" anymore, does she?

It's 6 years until her next election/retirement
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 11:52:28 AM »

I mean, she still won in 2020 when she clearly wasn't anymore, so at this point this is purely on Maine voters. If they don't know by now...
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 06:04:59 PM »

Nice, hope she endorses Poliquin for Congress as well!

It’s pretty infuriating that the Senator from the Trump +10 state is less reliable for us than the Senator representing a Biden +9 state, though.
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2021, 06:23:43 PM »

*sigh*
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2021, 06:37:36 PM »

Tossup.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2021, 01:41:06 PM »

Collins supports LePage, because LePage supported Collins - act of courtesy. I will never support LePage, but, at least, able to understand her reasoning..
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2021, 01:52:00 PM »

Collins supports LePage, because LePage supported Collins - act of courtesy. I will never support LePage, but, at least, able to understand her reasoning..

> Complain about partisan Republicans and Democrats finding excuses to support radical candidates
> Um, well, actually, the moderate I adore only supports an extremist because he supported her!

Someone's a partisan centrist Wink
Roll Roons
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2022, 11:35:07 AM »

https://www.newscentermaine.com/article/news/politics/maine-politics/former-governor-paul-lepage-talks-about-upcoming-election-with-maine-journalist-lee-goldberg/97-8c78dca4-65ee-4e62-8b04-54cfdc519750?link_id=4

LePage: “The big change in me has been the last four years watching what's going on in the country," he said. "I am absolutely convinced that if we continue to hate each other, if we don't find a path to at least like each other and respect each other, our country is in for doom. Our constitution will not survive. We need to find a path to have civil discourse so we can talk both sides of the argument.”

When PAUL LEPAGE (who arguably is the prime example of "Trump before Trump") is saying this...
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2022, 09:07:44 PM »

Tilt R, could become lean R if Biden’s approval continues to fall.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2022, 11:10:19 PM »

LePage has a good chance, in fact I would say that this is his race to lose.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2022, 01:42:30 PM »

Why do people seem to think LePage has a chance? He’s never won a majority of voters in the state, he’s a divisive figure, and barely won in 2014. Plus Mills hasn’t done anything wrong I don’t see a scenario where LePage beats Mills, especially with RCV
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2022, 10:35:19 PM »

Why do people seem to think LePage has a chance? He’s never won a majority of voters in the state, he’s a divisive figure, and barely won in 2014. Plus Mills hasn’t done anything wrong I don’t see a scenario where LePage beats Mills, especially with RCV

My best guess is that these people think the national environment will be favorable enough to LePage's party to carry him over the finish line.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2022, 11:17:31 PM »

Governor's race isn't using RCV.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2022, 11:50:54 PM »

My best guess is that these people think the national environment will be favorable enough to LePage's party to carry him over the finish line.

I think people forget Maine is still a Biden + 9 state where local politics still seems to matter to some degree. Something tells me Mills has significantly more support than LePage on a more local level. Lean D still.
GoldenMainer
Rookie

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2022, 11:58:17 AM »

The same issues that were weaponized in the Virginia governor's race can be weaponized here (mask mandates, vaccine mandates, school openings, school curriculum). In addition, Mills supported the CMP corridor and voters voted that ballot measure down about 60-40. I also haven't noticed any big "wins" from the Mills admin since so much of the energy has been on the pandemic. In a volatile environment in a politically volatile state, this race is worth watching and not guaranteed by any means.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2022, 06:02:09 PM »

The same issues that were weaponized in the Virginia governor's race can be weaponized here (mask mandates, vaccine mandates, school openings, school curriculum). In addition, Mills supported the CMP corridor and voters voted that ballot measure down about 60-40. I also haven't noticed any big "wins" from the Mills admin since so much of the energy has been on the pandemic. In a volatile environment in a politically volatile state, this race is worth watching and not guaranteed by any means.

You were dead on about Collins vs. Gideon in 2020, so I trust your judgment. How popular is Mills, in your opinion?
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2022, 06:42:42 PM »

LePage is changing his persona to be less divisive
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2022, 02:43:01 AM »
« Edited: March 19, 2022, 02:47:18 AM by MT Treasurer »

SOUTH PORTLAND, Maine (WMTW) - With no other candidates of either party submitting ballot petitions by the March 15 deadline, Democratic incumbent Janet Mills and her Republican opponent, Paul LePage, will face each other in the November general election.

https://www.wabi.tv/2022/03/17/its-official-janet-mills-versus-paul-lepage-maine-gubernatorial-race-this-november/

Also looks like there will be no other candidates on the November ballot, just Mills and LePage.

There’s still the possibility that an independent or unenrolled candidate could run. However, time is running out for such candidates to submit the 4,000 signatures by June 1 that are needed to qualify for the general election in November.

That’s why all indications point to the first head-to-head gubernatorial contest in Maine in 40 years.

https://www.mainepublic.org/politics/2022-03-18/all-signs-point-to-the-first-head-to-head-gubernatorial-contest-in-maine-in-40-years
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2022, 09:55:40 AM »

Golden chances and Pappas chances have increased Sherman can steal the Gov race with Hassan overperformed , Mills will win

Collins has Filibuster Voting Rights because the only way she would win in 26 if the Rs sweep everything in 22 she is another fake moderate like Murkowski and Murkowski isn't running against Joe Miller if Elvi Gray-Jackson makes the runoff she could beat Kelly or Murkowski
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2022, 02:29:46 PM »

SOUTH PORTLAND, Maine (WMTW) - With no other candidates of either party submitting ballot petitions by the March 15 deadline, Democratic incumbent Janet Mills and her Republican opponent, Paul LePage, will face each other in the November general election.

https://www.wabi.tv/2022/03/17/its-official-janet-mills-versus-paul-lepage-maine-gubernatorial-race-this-november/

Also looks like there will be no other candidates on the November ballot, just Mills and LePage.

There’s still the possibility that an independent or unenrolled candidate could run. However, time is running out for such candidates to submit the 4,000 signatures by June 1 that are needed to qualify for the general election in November.

That’s why all indications point to the first head-to-head gubernatorial contest in Maine in 40 years.

https://www.mainepublic.org/politics/2022-03-18/all-signs-point-to-the-first-head-to-head-gubernatorial-contest-in-maine-in-40-years

Update: Independent candidates have qualified for both ME-GOV and ME-02, so there will in fact be no one-on-one contests. Reminder that RCV is only used in federal races, not the gubernatorial contest, so either Mills or LePage could win with a plurality.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2022, 02:49:31 AM »

Regardless of whether or not she's moderate, Collins has always been highly partisan. Even in intra-Senate-"moderate" psychodrama she's less likely to devote time to maintaining communication with "moderate" Senators of the other party than are Murkowski, Manchin, Sinema, Romney, etc.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2022, 04:51:18 AM »

Update: Independent candidates have qualified for both ME-GOV and ME-02, so there will in fact be no one-on-one contests. Reminder that RCV is only used in federal races, not the gubernatorial contest, so either Mills or LePage could win with a plurality.

Sad news!

Unfortunate to see there won't be a Democratic option for my friends across the border.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies