SR 105-05: Philly Metro Area Belongs Together Amendment (Rejected)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 02:11:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SR 105-05: Philly Metro Area Belongs Together Amendment (Rejected)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: SR 105-05: Philly Metro Area Belongs Together Amendment (Rejected)  (Read 1672 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 21, 2021, 08:42:40 PM »
« edited: September 29, 2021, 05:56:56 PM by Senator Scott, PPT🎃 »

Philly Metro Area Belongs Together Constitutional Amendment

Section 1. The Regions.

1. The several states of this Republic shall be apportioned among three contiguous, autonomous Regions. Each region shall be further subdivided into two subregions.

2. The northern Region shall consist of the states of Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Wisconsin, Vermont, and Atlasian Virgin Islands.

i. The Northeastern Subregion shall consist of the states of Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Atlasian Virgin Islands.

ii. The Great Lakes Subregion shall consist of the states of Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin.

3. The southern Region shall consist of the states of Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia.

i. The Upper Southern Subregion shall consist of the states of Arkansas, Delaware, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia.
ii. The Deep Southern Subregion shall consist of the states of Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, and Texas
Sponsor: S019

The gentleman from New Jersey is recognized.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 08:47:15 PM »

This is pretty straight forward, this would move Delaware to Lincoln, where it seems to fit better. Delaware is a culturally northern state, closely tied culturally to the Philadelphia metro area and South Jersey. There's really no reason for it to be in the South, ideally Maryland would move to the North too. I really find it hard to argue that anything north of Fredericksburg, VA is culturally southern, it's even harder to argue that Delaware, with its population heavily concentrated in sprawling New Castle County is a southern state. This is merely correcting for a misinterpretation of communities of interest. Delaware really has little in common with Southern states other than Maryland and maybe parts of Virginia (such as NoVA), on the other hand, it is closely tied to places like Pennsylvania and New Jersey and its sprawling, urban nature resembles that of the cities and suburbs on the I-95 corridor to its north. This is an egregiously wrong pairing that should be corrected, and this amendment seeks to do that.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 09:34:09 PM »

In a North-South divide, Delaware is usually in the South. It may be in the Northeast, but I wouldn't consider it part of the North.

I am offering an amendment. I believe that this alternate regional composition makes more historical sense.

Philly Metro Area Belongs Together Constitutional Amendment Correction of Regions Constitutional Amendment

Section 1. The Regions.

1. The several states of this Republic shall be apportioned among three contiguous, autonomous Regions. Each region shall be further subdivided into two subregions.

2. The northern Region shall consist of the states of Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Wisconsin, Vermont, and Atlasian Virgin Islands.

i. The Northeastern Subregion shall consist of the states of Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Atlasian Virgin Islands.

ii. The Great Lakes Subregion shall consist of the states of Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin.

3. The southern Region shall consist of the states of Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia.

i. The Upper Southern Subregion shall consist of the states of Arkansas, Delaware, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia.
ii. The Deep Southern Subregion shall consist of the states of Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, and Texas

4. The western Region shall consist of the states of Alaska, Arizona, Atlasian Samoa, California, Colorado, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Montana, Minnesota, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Northern Mariana Islands, Nebraska, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.

i. The Mountain West Subregion shall consist of the states of Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Montana, Minnesota, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Nebraska, South Dakota, Utah, and Wyoming.
ii. The Pacific Subregion shall consist of the states of Alaska, Atlasian Samoa, California, Guam, Hawaii, Northern Mariana Islands, Oregon, and Washington.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 10:03:05 PM »

Objection, though I am open to supporting some of these changes, but I'd like the original change of Delaware to remain.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 10:33:03 PM »

An objection having been raised, a vote on the amendment is now open. Senators, please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.

Quote from: Amendment
Philly Metro Area Belongs Together Constitutional Amendment Correction of Regions Constitutional Amendment

Section 1. The Regions.

2. The northern Region shall consist of the states of Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Wisconsin, Vermont, and Atlasian Virgin Islands.

i. The Northeastern Subregion shall consist of the states of Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Atlasian Virgin Islands.

ii. The Great Lakes Subregion shall consist of the states of Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin.

4. The western Region shall consist of the states of Alaska, Arizona, Atlasian Samoa, California, Colorado, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Montana, Minnesota, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Northern Mariana Islands, Nebraska, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.

i. The Mountain West Subregion shall consist of the states of Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Montana, Minnesota, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Nebraska, South Dakota, Utah, and Wyoming.
ii. The Pacific Subregion shall consist of the states of Alaska, Atlasian Samoa, California, Guam, Hawaii, Northern Mariana Islands, Oregon, and Washington.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 10:37:11 PM »

I have never been one for chopping up the South or messing with the borders. I didn't support the Kansas effort and I don't intend on supporting this one, especially without the consent of the Southern government. Has there been any input from the Southern government on these proposed changes?

In either case, I will not vote in favor of taking territory from my region any more than I anticipate the Southern senators would support taking territory away from theirs. I am personally content with the borders as they are and will likely not be voting for this bill in either form. I certainly intend on defending the integrity of Fremont's borders.

NAY.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 10:41:56 PM »

Aye
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2021, 11:06:07 PM »

Nay. Removing Iowa and Minnesota from the Great West is a nonstarter.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2021, 11:08:50 PM »

Nay.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2021, 11:48:17 PM »

Nay, Kansas is southern damnit!
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2021, 11:55:24 PM »

I, S019, do solemnly affirm that I will faithfully execute the office of Senator, and will to the best of my ability preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the Republic of Atlasia.

Yet this bill, that the "Honorable Gentleman" has put forward is doing the exact opposite to the constitution of our country. The passing of any such amendment could be seen by some as a just cause for secession. If the "Honorable Gentleman" can't Abide by the constitution I don't see how he can expect others to be bound by it.

This is just more carpetbagging and territorial expansionism from an individual who feels likes justified in constantly sticking his nose in everyone else business. I have long said just leave us alone yet, many Fremontese & Northern Aggressors seem to constantly push for unjust treatment of their Southern brethren.

To these proposed defilements "amendments" I vote NAY

S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2021, 11:58:26 PM »

NAY
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2021, 02:00:47 AM »

Both the underlying Amendment and the amendment offered to it, I am opposed.

NAY
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2021, 08:26:05 PM »

I'm making an amendment for after this vote fails (as it seems likely to do)

Section 1. The Regions.

2. The northern Region shall consist of the states of Connecticut, Illinois, Indiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Wisconsin, Vermont, and Atlasian Virgin Islands.

i. The Northeastern Subregion shall consist of the states of Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Atlasian Virgin Islands.

ii. The Great Lakes Subregion shall consist of the states of Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin.

3. The southern Region shall consist of the states of Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, New Jersey, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia.

i. The Upper Southern Subregion shall consist of the states of Arkansas, Delaware, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, New Jersey, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia.

I introduce this with as much seriousness as the original proposal should receive.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2021, 08:49:40 PM »

I would like to know what type of community of interest is represented by New Jersey and Tennessee, anyways obvious objection to that amendment.
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2021, 10:28:37 PM »

I would like to know what type of community of interest is represented by New Jersey and Tennessee, anyways obvious objection to that amendment.
It achieves the exact same aim that the Delaware move would do. Philly metro being together.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2021, 10:48:06 PM »

It achieves the exact same aim that the Delaware move would do. Philly metro being together.

Yes, but it breaks other COI in the process. This honestly reminds me of the arguments during the Michigan redistricting meetings, where they went out of their way to preserve the COI of 6,000 Bengali Michiganders, and in the process completely wrecked the Bay Cities-Saginaw-Flint corridor. Besides, most importantly, the argument here is that Delaware is a northern state, which well it is (Maryland is too), New Jersey and Pennsylvania are not southern states by any definition of the word. I still have yet to hear a good argument for why Delaware belongs in the South. It is clearly not culturally southern, in facts parts of the Midwest, particularly Appalachian Ohio and rural Indiana are far more culturally southern than Delaware at this point. Delaware is a state where most of its population lives in a pretty dense urban corridor and is also a site for major corporations, really not too much unlike Connecticut. Also it goes without saying but it just lacks southern culture in general, even if Virginia may not be exactly southern nowadays, it still has plenty of areas with southern culture, Delaware really does not.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2021, 12:04:14 AM »

S019 might as well go for broke and propose that every metropolitan area gets a region of its own, throw state lines out the window, and actually stick to whatever this line of logic is. That he has not done that and instead focused solely on a Southern state tells me that is not his motive here. At least AGA's amendment, while similarly cavalier, has a semblance of consistency to it.

Nay on the amendment, and Nay on the bill if it comes up for a vote.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2021, 12:37:20 AM »

My great home state and Lincoln are parallel lines, we don't touch. Except at the Mississippi, we touch there.

Anyways, NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2021, 12:44:04 AM »

Nay
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2021, 12:45:28 AM »

This amendment lacks sufficient votes for passage. Senators have 24 hours to change their vote.

WB's amendment comes next.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2021, 08:47:49 PM »

Nay. Let's leave the states as they are.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2021, 01:38:00 AM »

With one vote in favor, eleven opposed, and six members not voting, Senator AGA's amendment is rejected.

An objection having been raised, a vote is open on Senator Weatherboy's amendment. Senators, please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.

Quote from: Amendment

Section 1. The Regions.

2. The northern Region shall consist of the states of Connecticut, Illinois, Indiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Wisconsin, Vermont, and Atlasian Virgin Islands.

i. The Northeastern Subregion shall consist of the states of Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Atlasian Virgin Islands.

3. The southern Region shall consist of the states of Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, New Jersey, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia.

i. The Upper Southern Subregion shall consist of the states of Arkansas, Delaware, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, New Jersey, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2021, 01:39:46 AM »

Nay

I sense that there is no serious desire to alter the borders (thankfully). Let's just move to a final vote when this amendment fails next.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2021, 02:20:11 AM »

Nay
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies