Los Angeles Mayor 2022: Bass vs Caruso
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:16:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Los Angeles Mayor 2022: Bass vs Caruso
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Author Topic: Los Angeles Mayor 2022: Bass vs Caruso  (Read 12314 times)
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2021, 11:50:38 AM »

Endorsed!! Purple heart Purple heart Purple heart
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2021, 11:56:34 AM »

Lord help LA with the way that this debacle of a field is shaping up.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2021, 12:04:00 PM »

Does Bass think she's getting drawn out of CA-37?
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2021, 12:04:33 PM »

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/l-a-city-attorney-mike-feuer-wants-to-double-size-of-city-council-slash-salaries/
Los Angeles City Atty. Mike Feuer said Monday that if elected mayor, he would pursue a ballot measure to double the number of City Council districts — while also slashing the salaries of each council member
Doubling the size of the city council is something I 100% support heck id even support tripling it. The city council has way too few members for how populous Los Angeles is. Most people have no idea who their city council member is because of how huge the districts are. I hope KDL and Bass (if she enters support a policy along these lines as well.

Personally I think this cuts both ways - more Council members also means that each individual one is more obscure on a city-wide basis, which in an era when most voters are quite low information on local politics and don't have the means to focus on hyperlocal issues could mean local city council members are more unknown to their voters rather than less.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2021, 01:04:38 PM »

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/l-a-city-attorney-mike-feuer-wants-to-double-size-of-city-council-slash-salaries/
Los Angeles City Atty. Mike Feuer said Monday that if elected mayor, he would pursue a ballot measure to double the number of City Council districts — while also slashing the salaries of each council member
Doubling the size of the city council is something I 100% support heck id even support tripling it. The city council has way too few members for how populous Los Angeles is. Most people have no idea who their city council member is because of how huge the districts are. I hope KDL and Bass (if she enters support a policy along these lines as well.

Personally I think this cuts both ways - more Council members also means that each individual one is more obscure on a city-wide basis, which in an era when most voters are quite low information on local politics and don't have the means to focus on hyperlocal issues could mean local city council members are more unknown to their voters rather than less.
I disagree the current size of each city council district is so big that you need a campaign that can raise millions to compete and to get your name out there to have enough voters to stand a shot at winning. While I agree it would make each council member less well-known city-wide I think it's more important that people in their districts know who their council member is and can hold them accountable for how they govern.

Since KDL has gotten in I've been thinking a lot about who id vote for if Bass got in and while I like KDL his taking of developer money and becoming NIMBY is a bridge too far for me and I'm going to vote for Bass was a while out from the election still so my mind might change but yeah. Bass and KDL are definitely the heavy hitters in the race now and the frontrunners to make the runoff.

Buscanio's running a law and order type campaign and is spending a lot so he's a dark horse to make the runoff along with Rick Caruso if he enters the race whose a former republican mall mogul as he would likely be able to get a big chunk of the Republican vote which if the field is split enough could definitely be enough to make the runoff. Theirs a good chance that the conservative vote gets split between the two if Caruso enters though making the chance of a KDL vs Bass runoff more likely.. I don't think Feuer's got a chance of making the runoff he doesn't really have a base and his name rec is very low.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2021, 06:09:17 AM »

Bass is the one who turned out to have tons of ties to Scientology, right?
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2021, 06:21:23 AM »

Better Bass than KDL I guess, even if she's a kook. Endorsed in the inevitable runoff and definitely *not* endorsed in round one.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2021, 10:23:59 AM »

Yeah she didn't stand up to scrutiny during the VP vetting, but she has enough of a local brand to make her a frontrunner, at least initially.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2021, 11:21:52 AM »

Yeah she didn't stand up to scrutiny during the VP vetting, but she has enough of a local brand to make her a frontrunner, at least initially.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/05/karen-bass-scientology-event-appearance-391749
Bass in the statement issued last weekend explained that she attends a Baptist church in South Los Angeles, and noted prominently that the new building opening was in her district. Bass went on to say she was trying to find an “area of agreement” with the church, which has faced allegations from defectors of intimidation, abuse and human trafficking.

“Back in 2010, I attended the event knowing I was going to address a group of people with beliefs very different than my own, and spoke briefly about things I think most of us agree with, and on those things — respect for different views, equality, and fighting oppression — my views have not changed,” Bass wrote in the statement posted to Twitter. “Since then, published first-hand accounts in books, interviews and documentaries have exposed this group.”

Bass did not include her personal thoughts about Scientology, but she mentioned that “everyone is now aware” of the allegations against it.
I wouldn't say tons of ties to Scientology but she did speak at one of their churches. I think what really took her out of the VP running was her statement praising Castro she has since renounced.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/02/karen-bass-fidel-castro-390413
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2021, 11:25:16 AM »

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/05/karen-bass-scientology-event-appearance-391749
Bass in the statement issued last weekend explained that she attends a Baptist church in South Los Angeles, and noted prominently that the new building opening was in her district. Bass went on to say she was trying to find an “area of agreement” with the church, which has faced allegations from defectors of intimidation, abuse and human trafficking.

“Back in 2010, I attended the event knowing I was going to address a group of people with beliefs very different than my own, and spoke briefly about things I think most of us agree with, and on those things — respect for different views, equality, and fighting oppression — my views have not changed,” Bass wrote in the statement posted to Twitter. “Since then, published first-hand accounts in books, interviews and documentaries have exposed this group.”

Bass did not include her personal thoughts about Scientology, but she mentioned that “everyone is now aware” of the allegations against it.
I wouldn't say tons of ties to Scientology but she did speak at one of their churches. I think what really took her out of the VP running was her statement praising Castro she has since renounced.

IIRC, she’s made several statements praising L. Ron Hubbard as a visionary, once in a generation leader or something to that effect.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2021, 11:28:32 AM »

IIRC, she’s made several statements praising L. Ron Hubbard as a visionary, once in a generation leader or something to that effect.
Just googled it to make sure and it was only in the speech in 2010 where she praised him.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/01/karen-bass-scientology-390077
I agree she shouldn't have done it but this was before most of the information about how bad Scientology is was out to the public.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2021, 01:29:41 PM »

Big and somewhat odd endorsement for Bass. Villaraigosa should be ideologically on the other end of the spectrum to Bass but an endorsement from a former mayor of LA is big.

Also, a big race to watch as well is the LA County Sheriff's race
Villaneuva has completely pissed off the Democratic party by doing sweeps of homeless people on Venice beach without the approval of LA city council or mayor and then appearing on Tucker Carlson and claiming he's the only official willing to do "Something" about homelessness. This all culminated in June where the LA county democratic party called on him to resign and the LA County board of supervisors looked into ways to impeach Villanueva. Alex also right before the recall appeared on Larry Elder's show to criticize Newsom and on his official account posted a photo op with him and Larry Elder. The field to replace Villanueva is shaping up fast. Cecil Rhambo the chief of Police at LAX seems to be the top contender at the moment with many endorsements from big part officials and progressive groups.

Chief of police Eli Vera is also in as soon as he announced Villanueva demoted him which just speaks volumes about the strong man complex he's got. Eli Vera seems to be running a campaign in the middle of Villanueva's strong man law and order type campaign and Rhambo's progressive reform campaign pretty much just running on I can get the job done without much controversy. Eric Strong was announced in late August as well as Matt Rodriguez. Here's a LA mag piece with more details about the campaign.
https://www.lamag.com/citythinkblog/la-county-sheriff-race/

LA city's comptroller is shaping up to be an interesting race as well. Former Green Party Congressional candidate Kenneth Meija is running one of the strongest campaigns I've seen here in a while. His visibility is off the charts his campaign bought 2 billboards in downtown LA and his campaign is holding tabling events each week across the city as well as have gone viral on tik too numerous times. His campaign is building a super-strong infrastructure and I'm certain he's going to make the runoff against incumbent Ron Galprien.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2021, 01:55:39 PM »

Is de Leon going to make a fool of himself again?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2021, 02:10:14 PM »

Bass is totally going to flame out against any competent candidate. Here's hoping someone like Hilda Solis jumps in.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2021, 03:59:52 PM »

LA city's comptroller is shaping up to be an interesting race as well. Former Green Party Congressional candidate Kenneth Meija is running one of the strongest campaigns I've seen here in a while. His visibility is off the charts his campaign bought 2 billboards in downtown LA and his campaign is holding tabling events each week across the city as well as have gone viral on tik too numerous times. His campaign is building a super-strong infrastructure and I'm certain he's going to make the runoff against incumbent Ron Galprien.

Is Mejia still running as a Green?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2021, 06:47:01 PM »

All municipal and county elections in California are officially nonpartisan.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2021, 02:05:35 AM »

Is Mejia still running as a Green?
As ERM64man said all municipal and county elections are nonpartisan so all candidates will appear as nonpartisan including Meija. I think he's still registered Green though. Kenneth's raised a lot of money for a grassroots campaign for an office like City comptroller I'm almost certain he'll make the runoff and I think he has a chance of winning. I don't think anyone likes Galperin or the other challengers but also that might just be because I'm seeing Meija stuff everywhere.
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2021, 11:17:41 PM »

Gut feeling tells me Bass won't live up to hype.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2021, 01:03:26 PM »

Bass had a huge launch event Saturday where she announced the endorsements of Villaraigosa, Judy Chu, George Gascon and actress Tiffany Haddish.

Kenneth Meija was also at the event
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2021, 11:52:59 AM »

Bass had a huge launch event Saturday where she announced the endorsements of Villaraigosa, Judy Chu, George Gascon and actress Tiffany Haddish.

If that doesn't make it clear she's the worst choice for LA, than nothing does.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2021, 06:12:59 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2021, 04:33:57 AM by "?" »

If that doesn't make it clear she's the best choice for LA, than nothing does.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2021, 12:01:19 PM »

lol will Villanueva get the same flak as Karen Bass for speaking to the church of Scientology?
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2021, 12:47:28 PM »

Katie Porter endorses Bass
pikachu
United States

« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2021, 02:40:57 PM »

Tbh still confused why Bass is running, but w/e.

In other LA news, there's been some redistricting ~ drama ~ especially over Nithya Raman's seat which has also gotten some attention by Jay Kang in the NYT.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2021, 03:40:38 AM »

Tbh still confused why Bass is running, but w/e.

In other LA news, there's been some redistricting ~ drama ~ especially over Nithya Raman's seat which has also gotten some attention by Jay Kang in the NYT.
Thankfully LA City council trashed the Commission's map and a relatively little change map passed a AD hoc committee and is almost certainly gonna pass.

Joey Buckets is really going after the law and order vote.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies