Mississippi Abortion Ban Case to be Heard December 1 by Supreme Court (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:33:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Mississippi Abortion Ban Case to be Heard December 1 by Supreme Court (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mississippi Abortion Ban Case to be Heard December 1 by Supreme Court  (Read 6014 times)
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« on: October 24, 2021, 06:42:33 AM »

I'm surprised I haven't seen it anywhere here yet, but the Supreme Court has taken the Texas case and oral arguments are set for November 1st. That's an insanely expedited schedule for the Court nowadays, possibly the fastest case since Bush v. Gore.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 02:08:01 AM »

Listing to the arguments it sounded like a 6-3 in favor of Mississippi. Roberts seemed to want to find a more narrow ruling than the other Justices. I see him assigning the opinion to himself or to a justice he has convinced to write a narrower opinion. He might fail to keep a majority behind his opinion and I could see him writing a sole concurrence in a 5-1-3 case or this case turning into a messy plurality opinion. Hard to see a majority invalidating Mississippi's law

The swing vote on Roe is probably Gorsuch.
What makes you say that? He might not have as "personally pro-life" a reputation as most of the other conservative justices, but nothing about his jurisprudence suggests he'd be at all open to reaffirming a decision that (from a textualist perspective) goes out on as many limbs as Roe just because it's longstanding precedent. He might be the most "procedurally extremist" current justice despite the relatively nuanced substance of his views.

I think there's something there to what he said. Obviously, no one here, myself included, thinks the Mississippi law is going to be struck down. This is all going to come down to whether Roe and Casey over outright overruled or just massively gutted (which is effectively the same as overruling). Gorsuch didn't really tip his hand, but his exchange with the pro-Roe/Casey side seemed to focus on the undue burden standard. He is a bit on an enigma to me, to be honest. I could see him going a number of ways on this, but I would agree that the most likely is that he votes to overrule Roe and Casey.

As has been noted, Roberts appears to want to uphold the law without overruling Roe/Casey outright. He seems willing to uphold the basic liberty of a right to an abortion through his views on stare decisis. I think the most likely way to get there is the elimination of the viability standard, but leave something like the undue burden standard. I'm not sure what the cut-off would be, but it would certainly have to preclude 6-week bans and anything shorter. The ultimate question as to whether this will be an overruling (with Roberts left out of the controlling opinion) or something closer to that potential Roberts view is whether he can get another Justice on board. I think the only options are ether Gorsuch or Barrett. Considering her brief tenure on the Court, she's probably more of an enigma than even Gorsuch.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2021, 11:55:35 PM »

For the people who are closer court-watchers than I am: When can we expect a ruling on this case? Is there any sort of expectation beyond "before July"?

The big controversial decisions are generally some of the last opinions of the term issued. So I would guess June.

Dumb question: Can the US Supreme Court just sit and not issue opinions indefinitely or must they issue something after a certain deadline? (Asking cause here we've seen tons of judicial decisions get stuck in judicial limbo for very long times. So asking if there is some sort of "judicial filibuster" possible)

In theory, perhaps. However, certainly not in practice. At most, nowadays, something might get kicked to the next term, but that's quite rare. In practice, the Court wants to get everything done before July so they can start their summer break. Apart from the 2019-2020 term, which forced the Court well into July due to the pandemic, this past summer had the first regular July opinions for the first time since 1996 (both of those final opinion days were on July 1).

I would say with nearly absolute certainty that this decision will come down no later than July 1st, 2022. Considering July 1 is a Friday of a holiday weekend next year, it'll be before that.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies