Mississippi Abortion Ban Case to be Heard December 1 by Supreme Court (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:48:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Mississippi Abortion Ban Case to be Heard December 1 by Supreme Court (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mississippi Abortion Ban Case to be Heard December 1 by Supreme Court  (Read 6016 times)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: September 22, 2021, 07:05:04 AM »

Looking forward to it, but also very unsure what will occur. Roberts votes with the Liberals fairly often these days, and as a pro-life person, this part of the Gorsuch hearing has always made me wonder if he is actually willing to be the deciding vote to overturn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z08EdjHJgoI
We can safely say he would never overturn Obergefell, though. 

Given Roberts voted against Obergefell, I think he'd vote to overturn it.

Indeed, if a legitimate case seeking to overturn Obergefell made it's way to the Supreme Court, it would probably be a 6-3 decision to overturn. I can't think of a reason for any of the conservative justices to vote for upholding it.

Didn’t Roberts essentially say that he wouldn’t in June Medical? He wrote a whole opinion about how he thought WWH was wrongly decided but he would still rule based on it because it was precedent. I think this is a 5-4 decision with him and the liberals dissenting.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 07:09:25 AM »

Looking forward to it, but also very unsure what will occur. Roberts votes with the Liberals fairly often these days, and as a pro-life person, this part of the Gorsuch hearing has always made me wonder if he is actually willing to be the deciding vote to overturn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z08EdjHJgoI
We can safely say he would never overturn Obergefell, though. 

Given Roberts voted against Obergefell, I think he'd vote to overturn it.

Indeed, if a legitimate case seeking to overturn Obergefell made it's way to the Supreme Court, it would probably be a 6-3 decision to overturn. I can't think of a reason for any of the conservative justices to vote for upholding it.

Didn’t Roberts essentially say that he wouldn’t in June Medical? He wrote a whole opinion about how he thought WWH was wrongly decided but he would still rule based on it because it was precedent. I think this is a 5-4 decision with him and the liberals dissenting.

Roberts also knows that discriminating against Gay people is what motivates Republican voters. That and abortion.

I don’t think it is anymore. Trans people, yes, but not the gays.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 02:43:23 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2021, 02:46:26 PM by Jamás tuve una amistad con usted. »

This feels deeply ironic, given that he’s seeking to protect one of the most important SCOTUS decisions of the past half century (and that in the original article he only mentions it once and in passing). And frankly rather dismissive of how difficult it was to achieve gay marriage and other LGBTQ rights milestones - ENDA has still never passed, while Bostock set a sweeping precedent and was decided 6-3.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies