Mississippi Abortion Ban Case to be Heard December 1 by Supreme Court (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:40:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Mississippi Abortion Ban Case to be Heard December 1 by Supreme Court (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mississippi Abortion Ban Case to be Heard December 1 by Supreme Court  (Read 6053 times)
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« on: September 20, 2021, 06:50:52 PM »

I think they get Roberts as well as Kavanaugh on this one and this is how Roe ends
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 10:32:36 AM »

Looking forward to it, but also very unsure what will occur. Roberts votes with the Liberals fairly often these days, and as a pro-life person, this part of the Gorsuch hearing has always made me wonder if he is actually willing to be the deciding vote to overturn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z08EdjHJgoI

Based on Gorsuch's concurrences and dissents so far, I would be shocked if he doesn't vote to uphold the Mississippi law and overturn Roe. 

We can safely say he would never overturn Obergefell, though. 
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 12:28:33 PM »

I'm honestly starting to almost hope for the overturn. I just want judges to stop being the obsession in every election. I want the issue to go away. I'm so tired.

if anything, the overturn of Roe v. Wade would make the judiciary even MORE important in future elections

Maybe this would be the case if it was a federal 14th Amendment right to life from conception decision that struck down laws permitting abortion nationwide, but no one is even seriously considering that.  If it gets left to the states to allow or restrict as they see fit, then within 5-10 years this gets hashed out in the state legislatures with and candidates of either party below the presidential level can safely take the local majority position on abortion.  It could reduce polarization significantly provided that court packing is off the table after an election or two. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies