Mississippi Abortion Ban Case to be Heard December 1 by Supreme Court (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:29:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Mississippi Abortion Ban Case to be Heard December 1 by Supreme Court (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mississippi Abortion Ban Case to be Heard December 1 by Supreme Court  (Read 6037 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« on: September 23, 2021, 05:58:21 PM »

I'm honestly starting to almost hope for the overturn. I just want judges to stop being the obsession in every election. I want the issue to go away. I'm so tired.

if anything, the overturn of Roe v. Wade would make the judiciary even MORE important in future elections

Would it? I see it as sending the issue back to the states, where it can be fought as a local battle once again.

Whatever happens, there is a bandaid that needs to be ripped off. Dems need to either pack the court or get ready for the overturn. This has been a point of tension in the country for too long.

People are going to want a new case under a new judiciary that overturns the case that would overturn Roe, so yes it would still be an issue.

The fundamental difference is that the political energy would swing to the pro-choice side, but abortion will continue to be an issue no matter which way the courts go. It's not in the same category as SSM where even opponents are conceding the issue as settled law for the most part, which I'm more bullish on the current Supreme Court upholding.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 11:26:48 AM »

Yeah, I agree with Scott that it would more than likely energise the pro-choice side (and Dems) in serious and advantageous ways. But the issue would still be political and it would cause short term pain for those in states denied the right to make medical decisions.

One thing I wish the pro-choice group (individual voters, not necessarily orgs... because they already do) would recognize is that getting an abortion has been virtually impossible for probably close to a majority of states for quite some time. A handful of states have only one clinic. The post-Roe reality has already been here for millions of women for the last few decades, particularly those who can't afford to travel. In that sense, the anti-abortion side/GOP arguably benefits politically from having Roe "upheld", but they still win (most of) the legal battles. From a legality/availability perspective, outright repeal might be short-term pain, but long-term gain. It's not a Pandora's Box that I necessarily want to see open (especially if TX-style restrictions become the norm for these states), but these complex laws are going to be subject to the whims of the judiciary for years to come.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies