Mississippi Abortion Ban Case to be Heard December 1 by Supreme Court
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:51:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Mississippi Abortion Ban Case to be Heard December 1 by Supreme Court
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Mississippi Abortion Ban Case to be Heard December 1 by Supreme Court  (Read 5971 times)
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2021, 12:08:19 PM »

It might be a 5-1-3 decision with John Roberts in the minority.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2021, 12:18:32 PM »

You know the politicians are pleading with the court behind the scenes to not overturn it because it would instantly kill any type of lead the Republicans would have in 2022.
new_patomic

« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2021, 12:38:34 PM »

Roberts definitely looks like he's trying to thread a needle here of overturning viability, but creating some sort of new standard so Mississippi's 15 week ban gets upheld but abortion in the first trimester isn't (technically) touched.

Kavanaugh and Barrett don't sound interested.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2021, 12:48:04 PM »

The pro-life side clearly has 5 votes. It's just a question of how far they want to go.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2021, 01:16:53 PM »

You know the politicians are pleading with the court behind the scenes to not overturn it because it would instantly kill any type of lead the Republicans would have in 2022.

Possibly. I think those who court pro-life voters are more concerned with state legislators making hay with the most punitive laws they can.

If Roe goes, expect at least one state to draft laws so restrictive it effectively criminalises miscarriage and places murder charges on someone's head.

So for the GOP you mobilise the leopards eating people's faces of and the Democratic opposition.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2021, 01:53:32 PM »

I'm not so sure about that. If anything it would benefit the GOP to be able to say that they delivered what their base wanted.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2021, 02:03:01 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2021, 02:09:26 PM by Person Man »

I'm not so sure about that. If anything it would benefit the GOP to be able to say that they delivered what their base wanted.

When has that worked, though? It used to be a common occurrence where some weird town legalized marijuana only for the voters to become complacent and the law to be simply reinstated at the next opportunity.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2021, 02:10:33 PM »

I thought the GOP base usually has more consistent turnout in Democratic midterms. Wouldn’t a broad decision cause the Democratic base to turn out?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2021, 02:11:20 PM »

Possibly. I think those who court pro-life voters are more concerned with state legislators making hay with the most punitive laws they can.

If Roe goes, expect at least one state to draft laws so restrictive it effectively criminalises miscarriage and places murder charges on someone's head.

So for the GOP you mobilise the leopards eating people's faces of and the Democratic opposition.

It would be naïve to think that this would compel only a few, if any, people to migrate. I foresee a potential future where the sex ratio in Illinois is like 120:100 and 85:100 in Indiana.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2021, 02:12:31 PM »

Yes, I’m sure the south would institute their own fugitive abortion law where they would try and force other states to extradite women back to their masters.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2021, 02:15:35 PM »

Yes, I’m sure the south would institute their own fugitive abortion law where they would try and force other states to extradite women back to their masters.

I can see them creating some sort of Interstate Child Protection Compact.... or the ICP. I mean, they are clowns, right?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2021, 02:32:15 PM »

Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2021, 02:40:57 PM »

1. Ignore judicial review
2. Right wing states ignore Roe and ban abortion
3. HuhHuh
4. Right-wing judicial tyranny is gone and leftists rule supreme 
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2021, 02:41:16 PM »

The pro-life side clearly has 5 votes. It's just a question of how far they want to go.
The pro life side would be mandating abortion bans through the 14th .
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2021, 02:43:23 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2021, 02:46:26 PM by Jamás tuve una amistad con usted. »

This feels deeply ironic, given that he’s seeking to protect one of the most important SCOTUS decisions of the past half century (and that in the original article he only mentions it once and in passing). And frankly rather dismissive of how difficult it was to achieve gay marriage and other LGBTQ rights milestones - ENDA has still never passed, while Bostock set a sweeping precedent and was decided 6-3.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2021, 02:49:08 PM »

You actually think they would do that?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2021, 03:12:40 PM »

Thinking that it will be 6-3, with Roberts assigning the opinion to himself and writing something that stresses that “we’re not technically overturning Roe” as the conservatives overturn Roe.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2021, 03:17:31 PM »

What are the chances that Altio, Thomas, and the Trump Trio get together and find that fetuses have a right to not be aborted?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2021, 03:28:36 PM »

Thinking that it will be 6-3, with Roberts assigning the opinion to himself and writing something that stresses that “we’re not technically overturning Roe” as the conservatives overturn Roe.
No other conservative appeared interested. I believe it will formally overturn it in a 5-1-3 decision.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2021, 03:32:00 PM »

No other conservative appeared interested. I believe it will formally overturn it in a 5-1-3 decision.

You’re probably right, yeah.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2021, 03:50:42 PM »

No, was just saying it. Anyway interestingly I actually wonder if the 14th argument if it somehow came to be would merely mean that murder laws apply to fetus's. Would Democratic states repeal their murder laws? Would Democratic governors just promise unconditional pardons for abortions?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2021, 03:55:47 PM »

If Roberts is in the minority, the decision will look even more partisan.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2021, 03:58:30 PM »

Barrett will write. It's why she's there.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2021, 04:36:40 PM »

No, was just saying it. Anyway interestingly I actually wonder if the 14th argument if it somehow came to be would merely mean that murder laws apply to fetus's. Would Democratic states repeal their murder laws? Would Democratic governors just promise unconditional pardons for abortions?

You mean amnesty?

The other interesting thing you brought up is that in most places abortion would be illegal, it would be a felony. If it's a felony, especially a heinous one (Decades in Prison/Life/Death), you would have to have a jury trial. How would you even have a fair trial? Especially in a place like Georgia, Arizona, or even Texas. The chances of getting a jury willing to convict (at least in a place like Tuscon, Austin, or Atlanta) is very low and chances of juries ignoring the instructions and voting to acquit or not reach a verdict is high. Of course prosecutors and senior police from liberal areas will simply refuse to go after safe illegal abortion practices. That conservative state Governments would probably be forced to rely on the highway patrol, national guard, and special lawyers to prosecute abortion but then we would still be back to jurors claiming to do their jobs but then nullifying the case.

One interesting they could do is make abortion a misdemeanor so long as no one gets hurt or its not too late in gestation. For example, they could say that mailing or possessing less than a certain doses of abortion pills is a misdemeanor and then they wouldn't have to deal with juries. Even though the charges would be misdemeanors, they are certain misdemeanors that are considered felonies for certain social credit check situations, like licensure, firearm procurement, a getting a job or lease.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2021, 06:27:03 PM »

I listened to the arguments today, and I'm roughly thinking that it's going to be a 5-1-3 decision.  That is 6-3 in favor of upholding the MS law, but just 5-4 in favor of overruling Roe and returning abortion to the states.  I'm thinking one of the Trump appointees will write the majority decision.  Thomas will probably write a concurring decision saying that the 14th Amendment requires abortion to be banned nationwide, which Alito and/or Barrett may or may not join.  But, Gorsuch and Kavanaugh won't go for that position.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies