S.21-3.11: Southern Electoral Districts Amendment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:50:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.21-3.11: Southern Electoral Districts Amendment
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: S.21-3.11: Southern Electoral Districts Amendment  (Read 1148 times)
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2021, 11:29:45 PM »
« edited: October 29, 2021, 12:27:48 PM by reagente »

So it looks like this bill won't pass. In the event it doesn't - how does it interact with the referendum act?

Do we need to have a referendum... to have a referendum on a constitutional amendment? or does a constitutional amendment just automatically go to referendum if it even gets to a final vote? Any thoughts? we might need to do an emergency amendment to the Referendum Act passed last session to clarify things.

I think that under the Referendum Act, a majority of delegates participating in the final vote is a prerequisite for one to happen?
I remember bringing up the possibility of a low-turnout final vote sparking a referendum and proposing that the wording be amended to preempt this very possibility. It was a suggestion taken up by the Chamber.

That was my initial recollection, but reading the text I wasn't entirely sure since I don't think it explicitly establishes a quorum requirement (I do think legislative history for it implicitly informs it). In any event, I think we should clarify how amendments interact with the referendum act.
A simple fix would be to remove proposed Amendments to the Southern Constitution from the jurisdiction of the Referendum Act. It might be worthwhile to require that a simple majority of delegates take part in the final vote of such bills; the merits of that would have to be considered.

Yeah, I think that would prevent any ambiguities. I will draft legislation later today or tomorrow to that effect.
UlmerFudd
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.17

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2021, 11:31:00 PM »

aye
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2021, 11:31:42 PM »

So it looks like this bill won't pass. In the event it doesn't - how does it interact with the referendum act?

Do we need to have a referendum... to have a referendum on a constitutional amendment? or does a constitutional amendment just automatically go to referendum if it even gets to a final vote? Any thoughts? we might need to do an emergency amendment to the Referendum Act passed last session to clarify things.

I think that under the Referendum Act, a majority of delegates participating in the final vote is a prerequisite for one to happen?
I remember bringing up the possibility of a low-turnout final vote sparking a referendum and proposing that the wording be amended to preempt this very possibility. It was a suggestion taken up by the Chamber.

That was my initial recollection, but reading the text I wasn't entirely sure since I don't think it explicitly establishes a quorum requirement (I do think legislative history for it implicitly informs it). In any event, I think we should clarify how amendments interact with the referendum act.
A simple fix would be to remove proposed Amendments to the Southern Constitution from the jurisdiction of the Referendum Act. It might be worthwhile to require that a simple majority of delegates take part in the final vote of such bills; the merits of that would have to be considered.

Yeah, I think that would prevent any ambiguities. I will draft legislation later today or tomorrow to that effect.
I look forward to what you will writing, it will be a good step for the region imo.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2021, 12:16:43 AM »

Aye
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2021, 07:04:39 AM »

Aye
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2021, 10:20:55 AM »

Looks like the bill passed with 3 Ayes, 1 No, 1 no vote (Saint voted after the 48 hour cutoff period, TPH narrowly made it).

This amendment will be presented to the Southern electorate for passage.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2021, 12:41:55 AM »

Huh, missed this completely. Interesting idea for sure, and I kinda expected somewhere to propose something like this, though I wouldn’t have guessed that adoption would happen this quickly.

At the least, seems like it ensures both subregional Senate seats have a bench readily available to them.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2021, 09:53:35 PM »

Huh, missed this completely. Interesting idea for sure, and I kinda expected somewhere to propose something like this, though I wouldn’t have guessed that adoption would happen this quickly.

At the least, seems like it ensures both subregional Senate seats have a bench readily available to them.
Yes, it will be interesting to see how things develop on this front.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies