Are you surprised ExtremeRepublican doesn't know a single non-heterosexual person?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:23:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Are you surprised ExtremeRepublican doesn't know a single non-heterosexual person?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Shocking, innit.
Yes

No

Hell no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Are you surprised ExtremeRepublican doesn't know a single non-heterosexual person?  (Read 1772 times)
Pedocon Theory is not a theory
CalamityBlue

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.61

P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 19, 2021, 06:30:30 PM »

No, at least not someone who had had homosexual sex and hadn't repented of it to follow Jesus.  I think as a personal preference, I wouldn't really want to date an ex-lesbian, though.  I've done a couple Instagram story polls on this (I've probably asked close to 100 polls on dating over the past several months):

31% would date someone who was bisexual (almost exclusively non-evangelicals who I know from college)

29% would date someone who identified as a "former homosexual" (this one was actually a mix of evangelicals and non-evangelicals, as some evangelicals said they would be willing if the other person completely repented of it and followed Jesus)

I don't actually know a single non-heterosexual person in real life, though (apart from maybe people I went to college with but haven't talked to in many years).

Atlas should repent of the plague of ExtremeRepublican's posts.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 06:44:15 PM »

*does it blow your mind that ExtremeRepublican doesn't know a single non-heterosexual person
Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 07:30:46 PM »

Does it blow your mind that no non-heterosexual people feel comfortable telling ExtremeRepublican that they aren't heterosexual?
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 01:52:01 AM »

No, but I don't consider it that weird? I personally never met any LGBT people until I started college; and even after college I've never had any LGBT person who was much more than a generic classmate or a passing acquaintance
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 08:20:56 AM »

No, but I don't consider it that weird? I personally never met any LGBT people until I started college; and even after college I've never had any LGBT person who was much more than a generic classmate or a passing acquaintance

See, that's fairly reasonable, but an experience that I've certainly had (and which seems to be the case for most other folks in my cohort) is seeing lots of people come out as queer in some capacity after graduating over social media.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2021, 09:08:12 AM »

He probably does, but he’s one of the last people they’d ever come out to.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 11:28:42 AM »

He probably does, but he’s one of the last people they’d ever come out to.

This. He just doesn't know it.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2021, 11:55:15 AM »

Not really. He lives in a bubble of sorts, much like many here do who probably don't know any evangelicals in real life.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2021, 12:52:05 PM »

A lot of people who are homophobic 'don't know' anyone who is LGBT+ because people who are LGBT+ know they are homophobic and probably keep quiet about it.

Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2021, 02:01:52 PM »

not at all. 
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2021, 02:11:18 PM »

Similar energy to those (adults) who say they don't know anyone who has had an abortion and would never be friends with anyone who has. Like, not saying ER would have the same reaction to finding out a friend was gay as finding out a friend had an abortion, just that there's probably a similar explanation for why neither case has happened.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2021, 03:15:42 PM »

This kind of reminded me of how I though a couple months ago it's a bit odd that no one in my extended family is openly LGBT especially since we're not particularly hostile to them, even my more conservative evangelical cousins on my father's side (who are closer to aunts in their relationship with me due to a significant age difference) are definitely not ones who would disown any of their kids or love them any less if they came out as gay. Of course a lot of their kids are still pretty young.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2021, 09:50:17 PM »

A gallup poll from this year said that 95% of the US public still identify as heterosexual so statistically this is not that abnormal. People with more bohemian social circles (which would include me) should not project that onto the entire country.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2021, 10:24:46 AM »

Not really. He lives in a bubble of sorts, much like many here do who probably don't know any evangelicals in real life.

The gaysTM walk among us and exist pretty much everywhere in the world, even in places like Iran, Chechnya, and Tennessee.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2021, 10:41:32 AM »

Any idea what percentage of households in Williamson County, TN are composed of same-sex couples?  It's probably even well below the statewide 0.8 percent

Granted, there's probably some single LGBTs or other non-household types there but WillCo is an extremely "married couples with kids at home" type place even by standards of Southern suburbia
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2021, 11:26:51 AM »

Any idea what percentage of households in Williamson County, TN are composed of same-sex couples?  It's probably even well below the statewide 0.8 percent

Granted, there's probably some single LGBTs or other non-household types there but WillCo is an extremely "married couples with kids at home" type place even by standards of Southern suburbia

Actually,  if I had to guess, it's probably substantially higher. Considering the higher education suburban nature and ready access to Nashville.
Pedocon Theory is not a theory
CalamityBlue

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.61

P

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2021, 11:51:37 AM »
« Edited: September 23, 2021, 12:13:37 PM by America needs Fred Phelps »

A gallup poll from this year said that 95% of the US public still identify as heterosexual so statistically this is not that abnormal. People with more bohemian social circles (which would include me) should not project that onto the entire country.

Not sure that's how statistics works. If 95% of the population is heterosexual then 1 out of every 20 people should be non-heterosexual on average. The average person knows more than 20 people. Therefore it only makes sense that if non-heterosexual people are distributed fairly evenly across the population at large, anyone who knows more than 20-ish people should know a gay person unless they don't know it.

If anything, that means you're far more out of touch if you don't know a gay person, because that means you're on the fringe end of society with a social circle which specifically selects against gay people.

Regardless, you seriously need to update your ideas about what makes social circles "bohemian". EIGHTY-SEVEN PERCENT of people reported that they know a gay or lesbian person, and that was five years ago!

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2021, 11:56:06 AM »

I'm not surprised he thinks he doesn't, no, although to be fair to him it's possible given his circles in general that it's not just him whom people aren't out to.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2021, 11:58:48 AM »

Actually,  if I had to guess, it's probably substantially higher. Considering the higher education suburban nature and ready access to Nashville.

If you're a gay couple in Metro BNA...why wouldn't you just live in Nashville proper?  There are actually some very lively gay neighborhoods there, and even if that isn't your exact vibe there's plenty of safe, low-density, SFH neighborhoods that are still relatively affordable while being closer to Downtown.  The only reason to move out to WillCo is for the public schools, sprawling McMansions, or better driving conditions for your unnecessarily lifted Ford F-250 Super Duty...things that aren't exactly pull factors for gay couples.   

Williamson County is extremely unique, even by Southern standards, in how Evangelical and conservative it is.  It is wealthy and educated, but that is somewhat of a statistical artifact created by how uniformly White and married its population is.     
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2021, 12:12:28 PM »
« Edited: September 23, 2021, 12:16:15 PM by Badger »

Any idea what percentage of households in Williamson County, TN are composed of same-sex couples?  It's probably even well below the statewide 0.8 percent

Actually,  if I had to guess, it's probably substantially higher. Considering the higher education suburban nature and ready access to Nashville.

If you're a gay couple in Metro BNA...why wouldn't you just live in Nashville proper?  There are actually some very lively gay neighborhoods there, and even if that isn't your exact vibe there's plenty of safe, low-density, SFH neighborhoods that are still relatively affordable while being closer to Downtown.  The only reason to move out to WillCo is for the public schools, sprawling McMansions, or better driving conditions for your unnecessarily lifted Ford F-250 Super Duty...things that aren't exactly pull factors for gay couples.  

Williamson County is extremely unique, even by Southern standards, in how Evangelical and conservative it is.  It is wealthy and educated, but that is somewhat of a statistical artifact created by how uniformly White and married its population is.      

If some people prefer the suburbs as opposed to the city. Nashville traffic is notoriously awful. They may have kids and prefer the schools in Williamson County. Lots of ordinary reasons that non gay people decide to live in williamson rather than Nashville, even if they're not a Republican.  In fact, based on  Last year's presidential  Election-- Trump's under performance in the educated suburbs duly noted-- Yet Williamson County is only nominally to the right of Tennessee as a whole.

I could make the argument why would a gay person live in Mississippi as opposed to Atlanta. Wink
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2021, 12:19:34 PM »

To answer the thread's question, since he acknowledges knowing "former but repented" gays,  he in fact knows people who are indeed actually gay.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2021, 01:37:03 PM »

All very bizarre this thread is. Maybe the country music culture down there causes them to flee for the exits.

Turning to another spot on the fruited plain, last night I announced to the entire Hoboken City Council on zoom that I was gay. Let me explain. I asked in the public portion of the meeting up front if the issue of flooding was on the agenda (because you are supposed to speak only about items in the agenda in the initial public portion). I was told no. At that point thinking the tech had turned my sound off, Dan asked when I wanted dinner, and I told him that he could start cooking it. That was miked out to the world, so the council president asked what is for dinner. I told him I would find out in due course. So then fast forward on to the public portion at the end of the meeting where the public can yip and yap about whatever they want. It turned out that all the other speakers at the beginning after I declined to speak per the protocol, asked about flooding, so it turned out it was only I who was interested in following protocol. I know better now - just go for it. Anyway, I was recognized again, and the first thing the council president asked was what I had for dinner. I told him that Danny had cooked for me a most sumptuous swordfish, and then the guy wanted to know how it was cooked, and another council lady exclaimed, "how delicious!". And so it went. You see, the straights on the council are all jealous that I have such an attentive partner! Smiley
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2021, 01:53:56 PM »

To answer the thread's question, since he acknowledges knowing "former but repented" gays,  he in fact knows people who are indeed actually gay.
Actually no, I think those people are either just liars or people who "experimented" and the realized they weren't gay.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2021, 01:55:14 PM »

I actually don't believe him.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2021, 03:57:03 PM »

This is reasonably fair.  I do know a couple of evangelicals, but by now have cut nearly all of them off the moment I saw them start posting pro-Trump memes or anti-vaxx "covid is a hoax" garbage.

I know a ton of LGBT people, of course.  Too many to count.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies