Are there any areas in Mississippi and Oklahoma where Biden won the white vote?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:40:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Are there any areas in Mississippi and Oklahoma where Biden won the white vote?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are there any areas in Mississippi and Oklahoma where Biden won the white vote?  (Read 1042 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 19, 2021, 05:13:36 PM »

And if not are these thus the only two states where Biden didn't win the white vote anywhere?
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 06:01:35 PM »

Biden almost certainly won the white vote in the college-y parts of Norman.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 06:07:16 PM »

Biden lost the white vote in every Mississippi precinct.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 06:18:34 PM »

Taking a look at Oklahoma more granularly, I think that Biden likely won the white vote in the core of Norman and in parts of Central OKC, but it's pretty hard to model because both have a fairly diverse makeup--a lot of places which are 65%ish white but with high single digits in other demographics.

That makes it hard to predict because it means lots of Native and Latino voters, who are likely more Dem than white voters but not unanimous, and also because both have plenty of Latinos (as per above) and Asian voters, who are likely less frequently eligible. Probably something like 55-45 or even closer.

Tulsa seems less Democratic with the white vote, with the strongest D white areas around the uni.

Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2021, 06:23:33 PM »

That seems very unlikely IMO. Even on the less favorable 2012-2016 numbers available in DRA there are few in innermost Jackson where dems likely win.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2021, 08:59:39 PM »

That seems very unlikely IMO. Even on the less favorable 2012-2016 numbers available in DRA there are few in innermost Jackson where dems likely win.

Indeed.  Belhaven (the neighborhood where I used to live in Jackson) is a White Clinton/Biden area. 
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2021, 09:11:32 PM »

Indeed.  Belhaven (the neighborhood where I used to live in Jackson) is a White Clinton/Biden area. 

It's possible that there's a sizable minority population in Belhaven that votes decisively Democratic and the small white majority votes narrowly Republican.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2021, 04:45:53 PM »

Aren't Jackson whites known for being Republican?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2021, 04:55:39 PM »

Aren't Jackson whites known for being Republican?

In the suburbs and outlaying neighborhoods sure, but Belhaven fits the educated, White liberal streetcar suburb typology like a glove. 
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2021, 08:24:13 PM »

The (I'm guessing) MSU precinct in Starkville is a likely contender based merely on 2012 & 2016 figures:

Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2021, 09:15:03 PM »

Probably some precincts directly adjacent to major universities, or in the closest thing OKC or Jackson have to urban "favored quarter" districts.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2021, 02:21:08 AM »

So I thought I would take a look at Oklahoma (because personally I found the implication of OP's question a bit extreme).

In short, there are plenty of areas in Oklahoma where white voters are predominantly-Democratic (and not just in college precincts).

But to proceed, one has to decide - especially post-2020 Census - how to handle the "Native" vote. Do you:

• Assume all Natives are in fact such and actually vote considerably to the left of white voters?
  • Assume most of them are culturally and demographically no different than whites and vote accordingly?

I firmly believe the correct answer is much closer to Option #2 than Option #1, but I counted conservatively and used Option #1 for support and Option #2 for turnout (i.e. "Natives" went 70-75% D while simultaneously enjoying turnout levels among whites). This means that white D support & white turnout are projected below actual performance, thereby at least slightly underestimating white D support. This gives us a bare minimum of precincts where Biden clearly won the bulk of white voters.

It's also worth noting that the precincts included are only white majority, white plurality or non-black plurality (VAP): no plurality/majority-black precincts or majority-Latino precincts are included (and I am sure there are many of these where Biden also won the white vote).

The three clusters that meet these very conservative criteria in OKC & Tulsa have a combined population of 170k people. I have virtually no doubt that precincts comprising several hundred thousand people in OK saw the bulk of white voters supporting Biden (with a good chunk of them being more obscured in predominantly black and/or Latino precincts).

Biden likely won 58-64% of the white vote in both of the OKC-area clusters; 55-60% in the Tulsa cluster.

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2021, 12:55:14 PM »

The (I'm guessing) MSU precinct in Starkville is a likely contender based merely on 2012 & 2016 figures:

#HailState
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2021, 12:05:20 AM »

#HailState

I don't think that's the MSU precinct.  The demographics don't seem to fit with that.  Looking at the background map, it looks like the campus mostly lies in the "East Starkville" precinct, which is R+8 in the composite.  Ole Miss seems to be mostly in the "Oxford 1" precinct, which is R+17.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2021, 02:46:18 AM »

A better question would be what white rural precincts Biden won (in any state)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2021, 06:07:35 AM »

#HailState

I don't think that's the MSU precinct.  The demographics don't seem to fit with that.  Looking at the background map, it looks like the campus mostly lies in the "East Starkville" precinct, which is R+8 in the composite.  Ole Miss seems to be mostly in the "Oxford 1" precinct, which is R+17.

Breaking Central Starkville down by block, it looks like almost all the whites live in the eastern tip of it (adjacent to MSU and/or downtown) and almost all the blacks live on the western side. I think that pretty much correlates with it being some form of on-campus or off-campus student housing area. Half-a-mile from the stadium and within a mile of almost everything on the campus.

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2021, 07:05:49 AM »

At least when I was there (now over 10 years ago), there were maybe 3 different precincts that had at least one dorm in them, making it confusing for students living in on-campus housing to figure out where to vote, as well as requiring people to update their voter registration status if they changed dorms.

Is the map above blue = African American and red = white? That off-campus red area (the Cotton District) is mostly students.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2021, 03:55:14 AM »

At least when I was there (now over 10 years ago), there were maybe 3 different precincts that had at least one dorm in them, making it confusing for students living in on-campus housing to figure out where to vote, as well as requiring people to update their voter registration status if they changed dorms.

Is the map above blue = African American and red = white? That off-campus red area (the Cotton District) is mostly students.

Yes, red = white.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies