Terry McAuliffe? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:06:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Terry McAuliffe? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Terry McAuliffe?  (Read 621 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« on: September 19, 2021, 02:13:41 PM »

He'd have to get elected in November.  That's far from a given, even if he is the current favorite.

McAuliffe only got 47.5 percent of the vote when he ran against Ken Cuccinelli.  Cuccinelli likely would have won were it not for a pro-choice Libertarian who siphoned votes away from Cuccinelli, who has made opposing abortion his signature issue.  Now Virginia has changed since 2013 and 2013 was a Repubican year, but this year is likely to be a Republican year to some degree in Virginia.  

When you win with 47.5% of the vote it begs the question of how popular you are.  McAuliffe is favored, and I'd say, gun to my head, that he'd be the winner, but I don't see where he's PERSONALLY popular.  He's the candidate because the replacements for Northam all had their baggage, as did Northam.  He's the "safe" pick.  The question is (A) how Democratic is Virginia right now and (B) how much actual personal popularity does Terry McAuliffe have with Virginia voters.  My prediction is that he'll win, but he'll be shocked by how close it is.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 02:30:06 PM »

He'd have to get elected in November.  That's far from a given, even if he is the current favorite.

McAuliffe only got 47.5 percent of the vote when he ran against Ken Cuccinelli.  Cuccinelli likely would have won were it not for a pro-choice Libertarian who siphoned votes away from Cuccinelli, who has made opposing abortion his signature issue.  Now Virginia has changed since 2013 and 2013 was a Repubican year, but this year is likely to be a Republican year to some degree in Virginia.  

When you win with 47.5% of the vote it begs the question of how popular you are.  McAuliffe is favored, and I'd say, gun to my head, that he'd be the winner, but I don't see where he's PERSONALLY popular.  He's the candidate because the replacements for Northam all had their baggage, as did Northam.  He's the "safe" pick.  The question is (A) how Democratic is Virginia right now and (B) how much actual personal popularity does Terry McAuliffe have with Virginia voters.  My prediction is that he'll win, but he'll be shocked by how close it is.

Other way around, T-Mac would've reached 50 without that third party.

And given that he's unlikely to have someone as incompetent as Robby Mook, it seems unlikely for a stumble.

I don't know about your analysis regarding the Libertarian candidate in that race, but "Robby Mook" says it all.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2021, 08:37:39 PM »

He is barely winning a Biden +10 state. lmao

I still don't believe he has much PERSONAL populairty.  You have to have some of that to be Presidential Timber.  I'm not convinced he's going to win in November, and while there may be a GOP tide, a guy like T-Mac in VA is supposed to buck that tide if he's worth his salt.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies