Terry McAuliffe?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:29:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Terry McAuliffe?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Terry McAuliffe?  (Read 589 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 19, 2021, 01:37:55 PM »

Could T-Mac be a backup candidate for the Democrats in case Joe Biden somehow doesn't run and Kamala flames out? He has already demonstrated how to govern successfully and after this year's election, in which he is heavily favored, will have an even longer list of accomplishments as he'll have a Democratic legislature. Furthermore, T-Mac has a lot of useful connections in politics. He may not exactly fit the primary electorate, similar to Joe Biden, but he has support among black voters (at least in Virginia). I think he would be a very formidable general election candidate given his experience in politics and as a businessman. Especially with a black or Hispanic woman as his running mate. Republicans would have a hard time to demonize the guy, too.

At least he'd be a good vice presidential candidate. However, if he were to run for president and Uncle Joe not, he'd have my full support.

Thoughts?
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 01:41:58 PM »

Republicans wouldn’t have a hard time "demoniz[ing]" him. He’s a shady, unlikable insider/career politician and partisan hack who only won his races (including 2021) because he was running in an inflexible blue state. He’d lose to any halfway competent Republican opponent in a national race.
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 01:59:00 PM »

Republicans wouldn’t have a hard time "demoniz[ing]" him. He’s a shady, unlikable insider/career politician and partisan hack who only won his races (including 2021) because he was running in an inflexible blue state. He’d lose to any halfway competent Republican opponent in a national race.

His ties to the Clinton's is a big liability.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 02:04:16 PM »

It's always harder to stoke fear of a straight white guy as opposed to a black woman, or a woman in general. As bad as it is.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2021, 02:12:00 PM »

Yes, he has all of the same problems as Hillary Clinton with none of the history-making potential to drive up Dem turnout.  McAuliffe would be a very bad choice for a presidential nominee and would alienate the median voter in the EC.  

He's not a bad fit for VA, though.  The median VA voter tends to value career politicians with policy chops.  They also aren't fazed by angling for questionable government contracts, because that's probably part of their day job.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2021, 02:13:41 PM »

He'd have to get elected in November.  That's far from a given, even if he is the current favorite.

McAuliffe only got 47.5 percent of the vote when he ran against Ken Cuccinelli.  Cuccinelli likely would have won were it not for a pro-choice Libertarian who siphoned votes away from Cuccinelli, who has made opposing abortion his signature issue.  Now Virginia has changed since 2013 and 2013 was a Repubican year, but this year is likely to be a Republican year to some degree in Virginia.  

When you win with 47.5% of the vote it begs the question of how popular you are.  McAuliffe is favored, and I'd say, gun to my head, that he'd be the winner, but I don't see where he's PERSONALLY popular.  He's the candidate because the replacements for Northam all had their baggage, as did Northam.  He's the "safe" pick.  The question is (A) how Democratic is Virginia right now and (B) how much actual personal popularity does Terry McAuliffe have with Virginia voters.  My prediction is that he'll win, but he'll be shocked by how close it is.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2021, 02:16:53 PM »
« Edited: September 19, 2021, 02:46:17 PM by L.D. Smith »

He'd have to get elected in November.  That's far from a given, even if he is the current favorite.

McAuliffe only got 47.5 percent of the vote when he ran against Ken Cuccinelli.  Cuccinelli likely would have won were it not for a pro-choice Libertarian who siphoned votes away from Cuccinelli, who has made opposing abortion his signature issue.  Now Virginia has changed since 2013 and 2013 was a Repubican year, but this year is likely to be a Republican year to some degree in Virginia.  

When you win with 47.5% of the vote it begs the question of how popular you are.  McAuliffe is favored, and I'd say, gun to my head, that he'd be the winner, but I don't see where he's PERSONALLY popular.  He's the candidate because the replacements for Northam all had their baggage, as did Northam.  He's the "safe" pick.  The question is (A) how Democratic is Virginia right now and (B) how much actual personal popularity does Terry McAuliffe have with Virginia voters.  My prediction is that he'll win, but he'll be shocked by how close it is.

Other way around, T-Mac would've reached 50 without that third party.

And given that he's unlikely to have someone as incompetent as Robby Mook like last time, it seems unlikely for a stumble.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2021, 02:30:06 PM »

And given that he's unlikely to have someone as incompetent as Robby Mook, it seems unlikely for a stumble.

I don't know about your analysis regarding the Libertarian candidate in that race, but "Robby Mook" says it all.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2021, 07:09:12 PM »

No.  He's a pretty standard white centrist Democrat with ties to the Clintons.  I can't see how he'd ave much appeal at the national level.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2021, 09:25:18 PM »

No.  He's a pretty standard white centrist Democrat with ties to the Clintons.  I can't see how he'd ave much appeal at the national level.

I think you answered your own question.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2021, 07:36:10 AM »

He'd have to get elected in November.  That's far from a given, even if he is the current favorite.

McAuliffe only got 47.5 percent of the vote when he ran against Ken Cuccinelli.  Cuccinelli likely would have won were it not for a pro-choice Libertarian who siphoned votes away from Cuccinelli, who has made opposing abortion his signature issue.  Now Virginia has changed since 2013 and 2013 was a Repubican year, but this year is likely to be a Republican year to some degree in Virginia. 

When you win with 47.5% of the vote it begs the question of how popular you are.  McAuliffe is favored, and I'd say, gun to my head, that he'd be the winner, but I don't see where he's PERSONALLY popular.  He's the candidate because the replacements for Northam all had their baggage, as did Northam.  He's the "safe" pick.  The question is (A) how Democratic is Virginia right now and (B) how much actual personal popularity does Terry McAuliffe have with Virginia voters.  My prediction is that he'll win, but he'll be shocked by how close it is.

And given that he's unlikely to have someone as incompetent as Robby Mook, it seems unlikely for a stumble.

I don't know about your analysis regarding the Libertarian candidate in that race, but "Robby Mook" says it all.

Robby Mook ran his campaigns to win an election for class president of a Northeast private college.  Totally incompetent at reaching the median voter!
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2021, 12:49:41 PM »

I think he'd check a lot of boxes for Harris' running mate.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2021, 12:50:40 PM »

Hard pass.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2021, 01:21:07 PM »

Harris or Newsom are gonna be the heir Apparent to Biden, Biden is definitely running in 2024/ unless he is Impeached in 2023 by an R H but even if Rs take Majority it would be too narrow with some Biden R loyalist in the R ranks of the GOP to get a Conviction on Ukraine in time for ,2024
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2021, 09:07:28 PM »

He’s the D nominee if Biden doesn’t run and Harris doesn’t run.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2021, 09:53:12 AM »

He's the type of politician who might be a decent POTUS, but who's not very strong as a campaigner. That said, I don't think he's in danger of losing the VA-gov race later this year. It's just that he's a bland standard establishment Dem whose ties to the Clinton would be more of a liability than everything else. Save few exceptions, people tend to vote for something, and McAuliffe ain't very inspiring in that regard.

For sure he'd be a fine Commerce Secretary or so. He checks a few boxes for a VP nomination under Harris, but would be more like a Tim Kaine 2.0. We already had that and it didn't end so well. I nothing against him and think he was/will be a good gov, just not prez material when it comes to a convincing electablity case.
crazy jimmie
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2021, 10:03:20 AM »

He is barely winning a Biden +10 state. lmao
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2021, 04:20:58 PM »

I can’t see many of the people who he would appeal to choosing him over, say, Pete Buttigieg or Gavin Newsom and there’s probably half a dozen others who would rank ahead of Tmac in the white make centrist stakes.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2021, 08:37:39 PM »

He is barely winning a Biden +10 state. lmao

I still don't believe he has much PERSONAL populairty.  You have to have some of that to be Presidential Timber.  I'm not convinced he's going to win in November, and while there may be a GOP tide, a guy like T-Mac in VA is supposed to buck that tide if he's worth his salt.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies