2021 Canadian general election - Election Day and Results
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:12:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2021 Canadian general election - Election Day and Results
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 44
Author Topic: 2021 Canadian general election - Election Day and Results  (Read 60695 times)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: September 21, 2021, 12:48:55 AM »

I don't understand the "this election was a waste of time" narrative when the polling varied pretty substantially over the course of the campaign. Sometimes early elections lead to vastly different results and sometimes they don't. Holding an election two years after the previous one, a time during which one of the most substantial events in any of our lives has taken place, and one which has required all governments to act with haste and often against public opinion seems like the best time to hold an election like this, especially if it reaffirms public support for the status quo when there are extremely loud and influential voices calling for dramatic changes in the face of uncertainty on all ends of the political field.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #451 on: September 21, 2021, 12:52:15 AM »

Singh should of course go, after two disastrous elections in a row now, but there is nothing NDP voters love more than losing while feeling superior about themselves, so they will of course keep him.

This is right. On CBC the NDP woman they had was talking about how proud everyone was of Jagmeet; it doesn't matter whether they won or not, what was important was that they made such a great stand by making the turban man their leader. It's the attitude that comes from being in permanent opposition. Nobody got into the NDP because they wanted to win, so nobody can even imagine what winning would be like. It's not surprising that Rachel Notley has tended to keep her distance from the federal NDP, because she is a winner and they are losers.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #452 on: September 21, 2021, 12:52:29 AM »

Just told my 10yo daughter about #REB. She had tears in her eyes. And then she did the Wakanda pose and said "#Ruthkanda forever" -- which is the sort of pop culture cross-over that I can celebrate.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #453 on: September 21, 2021, 12:52:59 AM »

Singh should of course go, after two disastrous elections in a row now, but there is nothing NDP voters love more than losing while feeling superior about themselves, so they will of course keep him.

I'm thankfully seeing a lot of disappointment in the NDP on twitter so Singh may actually get the knife he deserves. People are pointing out how he's far and away the most popular leader, how he burned so much cash, and how he had all the issues in his back pocket yet treaded water. +3 is meh, but it's still a very rosy way of looking at it cause of Spadina-Fort York and the lack of REB - as many are noting.

The problem of course is that there is no obvious candidate with star appeal to take over the helm.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #454 on: September 21, 2021, 12:55:43 AM »

I don't understand the "this election was a waste of time" narrative when the polling varied pretty substantially over the course of the campaign. Sometimes early elections lead to vastly different results and sometimes they don't. Holding an election two years after the previous one, a time during which one of the most substantial events in any of our lives has taken place, and one which has required all governments to act with haste and often against public opinion seems like the best time to hold an election like this, especially if it reaffirms public support for the status quo when there are extremely loud and influential voices calling for dramatic changes in the face of uncertainty on all ends of the political field.
I agree completely, and to be honest it sounds very forced.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #455 on: September 21, 2021, 12:55:45 AM »

I'm thankfully seeing a lot of disappointment in the NDP on twitter so Singh may actually get the knife he deserves. People are pointing out how he's far and away the most popular leader, how he burned so much cash, and how he had all the issues in his back pocket yet treaded water. +3 is meh, but it's still a very rosy way of looking at it cause of Spadina-Fort York and the lack of REB - as many are noting.

The problem of course is that there is no obvious candidate with star appeal to take over the helm.

Probably Matt Green but I don’t think he speaks French.

Would also be interesting to have both the provincial NDP and federal NDP leader be from Hamilton.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #456 on: September 21, 2021, 12:59:25 AM »

I mean the thing is that Singh is likeable on a personal level. Trudeau might be charming but he does have a cold demeanour. If you asked me to pick between going to a Singh Rally or Trudeu rally i'd go to a Singh rally any day of the weak.

He just doesn't feel credible to me though and i'd probably vote liberal. maybe the issue is that the NDP lacks credibility regarding it's policies.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #457 on: September 21, 2021, 01:03:35 AM »

If you want star power your choice is Charlie Angus, but then he doesn't speak French.

Why not just go for Boulerice? He seems like the simplest option to try to restore the Orange Crush map. Or Brian Topp, for that matter. (If you want an ethnic minority man who's proven himself able to make some gains for the NDP, I guess Wab Kinew is an option, though I don't think going from leader of the Manitoba NDP to leader of the federal NDP is necessarily a promotion).

Or, go full-out "copy the Liberals and pick the son of our most successful leader": Mike Layton.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #458 on: September 21, 2021, 01:08:40 AM »

This is the opposite of 1993, when 65% of seats changed parties.
Logical

« Reply #459 on: September 21, 2021, 01:09:13 AM »

Which will come first. The redistribution or another election?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #460 on: September 21, 2021, 01:10:34 AM »

I don’t know if Angus would be the best bet. I think Timmins is getting tired of him. He’s no Gilles Bisson. To be honest I think he should step down next election so the NDP can run a fresh face.

I think more than anything, the NDP needs better infrastructure and ground game. Like it’s good they can fill 338 seats, but if you go through South Asian or East Asian majority ridings and see LPC and CPC have candidates that match the communities and NDP is running random white people, that’s an issue.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #461 on: September 21, 2021, 01:14:19 AM »

Curious post coming from the most partisan Democrat on the site. Maybe game recognizes game.

You do realise that Joe Biden is, in fact, President of the United States?
Agafin
Cameroon

« Reply #462 on: September 21, 2021, 01:22:49 AM »

I used to think that Canada was less partisan and more elastic than America. This election doesn't exactly support that. Every party coming out with virtually the same number of seats compared to two years ago is a little surprising.
super6646
Canada

« Reply #463 on: September 21, 2021, 01:30:19 AM »

What is stumping me is how did the Cons lose 4 seats in BC; yet their vote share is virtually unchanged from 4 yrs ago.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #464 on: September 21, 2021, 01:38:19 AM »

Erin O'Toole: Justin Trudeau forced an election no one wanted.

Also Erin O'Toole: I'm gonna force an election ASAP.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #465 on: September 21, 2021, 01:46:03 AM »

Worth noting that the NDP made some significant gains in rural Prairie ridings, not just the PPC. In fact the PPC stuggled to get above 10% in many of these.

Battle River-Crowfoot

CON - 72%
NDP - 10%
PPC - 9%
MAV - 4%
LIB 4%
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #466 on: September 21, 2021, 01:47:02 AM »

PPC getting pretty good results in NB with the Tories holding on to their 2019 vote share.

Worth noting that the best Tory result seems to be Souris-Moose Mountain in SK - 76%.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #467 on: September 21, 2021, 03:06:45 AM »

Did O'Toole do any work to show people this new moderate Conservative Party before the campaign? Even in Canada, maybe you need to do the groundwork for your message to get a positive response. Especially with a 36 day campaign, though on the other hand, Quito Maggi was saying the Liberals could have gotten a majority with another week and their worst polls were mid-campaign. We do need the full results to analyse it in-depth.
Logical

« Reply #468 on: September 21, 2021, 03:11:00 AM »

Love to see the pollster with the wackiest numbers (LPC +5 nationally! PPC at 10! LPC +16 in ON!) take a victory lap.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #469 on: September 21, 2021, 03:11:21 AM »

Anyone else notice the awful Conservative results in the predominantly Chinese suburbs of Vancouver (sorry; haven't trawled through 19 pages)? 23 point LPC swing in Richmond Centre. What might have been going on?
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #470 on: September 21, 2021, 03:17:29 AM »

Anyone else notice the awful Conservative results in the predominantly Chinese suburbs of Vancouver (sorry; haven't trawled through 19 pages)? 23 point LPC swing in Richmond Centre. What might have been going on?
Some people are saying the CPC got hurt by it's china hawk positions which eroded it's advantage among conservative Chinese Canadians in BC.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #471 on: September 21, 2021, 03:31:48 AM »

Well my predictions were dogsh**t lol (I got a few things right, but the important stuff wrong).

Fun but irrelevant fact: the NDP aren't winning any of the ridings of their former leaders, minus the two BC ridings held by Tommy Douglas. York South, Oshawa and Ottawa Centre, Yukon, Halifax, Toronto Danforth and Outremont all stayed with their respective parties. (They only held four of these in 2011, for what it's worth).
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #472 on: September 21, 2021, 04:36:03 AM »

Tremendous speech from Blanchet right now. "Why did you interrupt our barbecues?!"
Truly a man of the people.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #473 on: September 21, 2021, 04:43:18 AM »

So... at the end of the day, the results are basically the same as in 2019. No big changes, nothing. Just copy paste of 2019.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #474 on: September 21, 2021, 05:21:52 AM »
« Edited: September 21, 2021, 06:08:54 AM by thumb21 »

Are any websites showing the popular vote by province? I'm interested in the BC numbers especially but I can't find them.

Edit: Provincial numbers are here https://enr.elections.ca/Provinces.aspx?lang=e
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 44  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies