How will these figures be viewed in 2070? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:34:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  How will these figures be viewed in 2070? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How will these figures be viewed in 2070?  (Read 1522 times)
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« on: September 18, 2021, 11:50:51 AM »

Biden: Too early to tell

Trump: While time may prove me wrong on this, I think his Presidency, as well as Obama's and possibly Biden's, will be viewed as a transition period from one era (the Reagan/neoliberal era) to the next (TBD). I also agree with Statilius the Epicurean that he'll be seen as racist backlash to the first black President. January 6th will also be a big part of his legacy, especially if more events like that occur again, and especially if one of said events God forbid succeeds. He'll also, at least with regards to how this current era of the GOP is concerned, be viewed as an end result of 50 years of Republicans starting with Nixon tapping into conservative white resentment and religious zealotry.

Obama: Obviously he'll be remembered as the first black President, and possibly as the President that implemented the first step toward the U.S. eventually (hopefully) getting a single payer health care system.  That said, he'll also be viewed as a reluctant, complacent leader who didn't do enough to deal with the challenges of his time, and this will be viewed as a component (though not a Nixon/Reagan/Gingrich/Bush/Palin sized component) to the rise of his dumpster fire of a successor.  I've said it before and I think some will view Obama this way too, he was the right man for the job, but the wrong man for the time he served in.

Clinton: The most politically active first spouse since Eleanor Roosevelt (unless another comes along between now and 2070 and takes that title) and the first first spouse to be elected to the US Senate, as well as the first female Presidential nominee. Her loss in 2016 however, as well as her failure to take any responsibility for it (that I'm aware of) will be be a huge stain on her legacy.

Reagan: I think once the baby boomers and even the first wave of Gen X are gone, you'll have a more objective view of the Reagan Presidency and thus in 20-30 years time I don't think he'll be viewed as a top 10 President, as the generations that assess his Presidency in the future will be the ones that were on the receiving end of the long term damage his "greed is good"," trickle down economics caused as well as the fact that the social progress that was being made in the 60s and 70s stalled on his watch. His contributions to the radicalization of the Republican party that took place during and especially after his administration will also be a subject of scrutiny. That said, despite this, he'll likely still be ranked in the top half of Presidents due to his 2nd term Cold War policies, his sunny optimistic leadership style, as well as the fact that he was (though for worse) a transformative President, up to that point the most transformative since FDR.

Bernie: Outside of a few millennial/Gen Z liberals that are in their 70's and 80's in the year 2070 who see him as a liberal Goldwater, and very staunch political junkies, he'll be forgotten.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 11:40:15 AM »

While I personally don't hate Bill Clinton like many leftist on this forum do, I think he'll more or less be remembered similarly to Calvin Coolidge. A mediocre President who rode out good economic times and did very little to prevent (or did things to contribute to) the problems his successors faced.

As for George W. Bush, I think for the next decade or so he'll be viewed in a positive light for looking that good compared to Trump and for likely looking good compared to whoever the GOP nominates/elects in the next few election cycles. By 2070 however, when Trump and his cultist goons are no longer a factor, Bush will more or less be viewed how he was prior to 2016, one of the worst Presidents we ever had, and one that (abet unintentionally) contributed to the rise of Trump by dumbing down his party and being the President that got nationalist, " 'Murica" culture started.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies