Your vote in the 1960 presidential election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:54:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Your vote in the 1960 presidential election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
Richard Nixon

John F. Kennedy

Harry Byrd

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 78

Author Topic: Your vote in the 1960 presidential election  (Read 1682 times)
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2021, 03:25:35 PM »

I would have probably leaned JFK because of my Catholic faith--and no doubt many Catholics swung his way in 1960 (and many non-Catholics swung away from him as well). 

But I would have likely supported Eisenhower in 1956 and would have been fine with Nixon.  He had an impressive resume going into the 1960 election, and his foreign policy credentials were extremely apparent even then. 
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2021, 03:26:56 PM »

And who are the 3 (so far) who voted for Harry Byrd on this forum?  I have my ideas.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2021, 03:31:47 PM »

And who are the 3 (so far) who voted for Harry Byrd on this forum?
trolls
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2021, 05:47:11 PM »

Being an Italian Catholic likely to be living in NYC, it would have been Kennedy hands down.  Nixon I would not have cared for at all, ever since the late 40s and early 50s.  I would have liked Eisenhower, though, but not tied my like of Eisenhower with Nixon, who was a different kind of Republican entirely.

That said, I would have secretly known that the Kennedys were corrupt and that the Kennedy father was an anti-Semite and not cool in my book, because I would have been a liberal (likely by 1960 a Democrat although possibly a liberal Republican from the Northeast) and I would have strongly opposed and challenged anti-Semitic attitudes that were very prevalent (and still are) in the United States.

Had I been born when my grandmother was, I would have been 25 in 1960, old enough to vote by 4 years.  I would have also been a homosexual - possibly an avowed (as was the parlance at the time) homosexual - but like all the others for the most part I'd be hidden.  Only in the 1960s and 1970s (into my 30s and 40s) would I have begun to venture out into the world and read gay literature or go to a gay political meeting.

I don't like bars so I most likely would have not been at Stonewall that night, but I would have known about it maybe through some other men that I knew and would have 100% supported the new movement that was springing up from it - even if I was closeted.

So it would have been Kennedy.  Johnson would have scared me, ironically (since 21st century me thinks very highly of him in many ways, none of them of course associated with the lies that the government began telling the American people about the war in Southeast Asia).

Kennedy possessed youth, charisma, and really a new kind of politician.  Not only could he so get it (and I'm sure for closeted gay men that was understood right away just by watching him talk), but JFK was actually ing inspiring as sh**t.  He really was quite benign, even though he did cheat on Jackie left and right, but he seemed like a really nice, cool guy.  Rich preppy yes, possibly privately elitist, but JFK exuded real appeal.  He was a guy you'd want to have a beer with.  Whereas Nixon was kind of the dude that would have a few drinks and then get thrown out of the bar for pissing off the bartender.

lol anti-semitism is not at all prevalent in the US.

oh really?  "woke" boston had like 3 holocaust memorial vandalations in the past 4 years.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/08/15/us/boston-holocaust-memorial-vandalized/index.html

https://www.bostonherald.com/2021/05/25/disgusting-and-despicable-neo-nazi-group-gathers-in-front-of-new-england-holocaust-memorial-in-boston/
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2021, 08:46:41 PM »
« Edited: September 19, 2021, 10:53:25 AM by Frodo »

I normally value experience and proven competence in my candidates.  Since I supported John McCain until he picked Sarah Palin as his running-mate and the financial meltdown later in 2008 (and his lackluster response to it), it is a good bet that (without hindsight) I would have supported Richard Nixon in 1960 as well for similar reasons.  
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2021, 10:37:40 PM »

Blue avatars stanning a disgraced former President who was nearly removed from office after it came to light that he had illegally used his position of power to target his political enemies.

Some things never change!

Kennedy with and without hindsight. Nixon was a bad President, the author of the war on drugs, and also an effing crook.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2021, 10:57:26 PM »

Doesn't change the point at all.

Nixon, even as a criminal or a bit of plastic, just keeps being the least evil or least incompetent option in most of the half century he had power, and once he was out, the New Gilded Age was beginning. Both sides governed to the right of him by default, and his own party went off the ethical deep end.

JFK was just under camp incompetent for the time, propped up by riches and telegeny. While he did end up better, that would be hard to gauge without hindsight.

And that's not even going into The Butterfly Effects.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2021, 09:18:32 AM »

I never liked Kennedy. I hate his father. Kennedy wasn’t so great a Senator ... However, that no-good son-of-a-bitch Dick Nixon called me a Communist and I’ll do anything to beat him.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2021, 09:26:04 AM »
« Edited: September 19, 2021, 09:34:04 AM by KaiserDave »

Nixon, even as a criminal or a bit of plastic, just keeps being the least evil or least incompetent option in most of the half century he had power, and once he was out, the New Gilded Age was beginning. Both sides governed to the right of him by default, and his own party went off the ethical deep end.

JFK was just under camp incompetent for the time, propped up by riches and telegeny. While he did end up better, that would be hard to gauge without hindsight.

Nixon being the least evil option? Who are you comparing him to? Both sides governing to his right? If you seriously think Kennedy, Johnson, Stevenson, Kefauver, and Humphrey governed to the right of Nixon I've got beachfront property in Kansas to sell you. His party went off the ethical deep end? I guarantee you that did not start with Ronnie Raygun. Nixon, who sabotaged the 1968 peace talks, Nixon who was involved in a corrupt funds scandal in the 50s, Nixon who expanded the war without telling congress, and Nixon who lied lied about almost everything. Have you read the Ehrlichman quote about the catastrophic drug war?

"We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."

Sure JFK was a incompetent with a fat ego propped up by television, but this is Richard Nixon we're talking about. Who even by 1960 had put himself on the wrong side of the issues of the day and was a McCarthyist, and was already ethically compromised.

It's time to bury the Nixon rehabilitation.

If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2021, 09:27:26 AM »

Nixon being the least evil option? Who are you comparing him to? Both sides governing to his right? If you seriously think Kennedy, Johnson, Stevenson, Kefauver, and Humphrey governed to the right of Nixon I've got beachfront property in Kansas to sell you. His party went off the ethical deep end? I guarantee you that did not start with Ronnie Raygun. Nixon, who sabotaged the 1968 peace talks, Nixon who was involved in a corrupt funds scandal in the 50s, Nixon who expanded the war without telling congress, and Nixon who lied lied about almost everything. Have you read the Ehrlichman quote about the catastrophic drug war?

"We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."

Sure JFK was a incompetent with a fat ego propped up by television, but this is Richard Nixon we're talking about. Who even by 1960 had put himself on the wrong side of the issues of the day and was a staunch McCarthyist, and was already ethically compromised.

"The only place where you and I disagree is with regard to the bombing. You’re so goddamned concerned about civilians, and I don’t give a damn. I don’t care."
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2021, 09:30:30 AM »

Sure JFK was a incompetent with a fat ego propped up by television, but this is Richard Nixon we're talking about. Who even by 1960 had put himself on the wrong side of the issues of the day and was a staunch McCarthyist, and was already ethically compromised.

"The only place where you and I disagree is with regard to the bombing. You’re so goddamned concerned about civilians, and I don’t give a damn. I don’t care."

"I still think we ought to take the North Vietnamese dikes out now. Will that drown people? [Kissinger: About two hundred thousand people.] No, no, no, I'd rather use the nuclear bomb. Have you got that, Henry? ... The nuclear bomb, does that bother you?. I just want you to think big, Henry, for Christsakes."
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2021, 09:40:18 AM »

"I still think we ought to take the North Vietnamese dikes out now. Will that drown people? [Kissinger: About two hundred thousand people.] No, no, no, I'd rather use the nuclear bomb. Have you got that, Henry? ... The nuclear bomb, does that bother you?. I just want you to think big, Henry, for Christsakes."
"I have the greatest affection for them [blacks] but I know they're not going to make it for 500 years. They aren't. You know it, too. The Mexicans are a different cup of tea. They have a heritage. At the present time they steal, they're dishonest, but they do have some concept of family life. They don't live like a bunch of dogs, which the Negroes do live like."
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2021, 09:49:18 AM »

And of course Nixon was architect of the "Southern Strategy" that basically created the modern GOP.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2021, 09:57:02 AM »

And of course Nixon was architect of the "Southern Strategy" that basically created the modern GOP.
It is really bizarre how some people will try to rehabilitate Nixon as the "last good Republican" given he is more-or-less responsible for everything that came after.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2021, 09:58:20 AM »

"I have the greatest affection for them [blacks] but I know they're not going to make it for 500 years. They aren't. You know it, too. The Mexicans are a different cup of tea. They have a heritage. At the present time they steal, they're dishonest, but they do have some concept of family life. They don't live like a bunch of dogs, which the Negroes do live like."
"As long as I'm sitting in the chair, there's not going to be any Jew appointed to that court. [No Jew] can be right on the criminal-law issue."
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2021, 10:46:03 AM »

"As long as I'm sitting in the chair, there's not going to be any Jew appointed to that court. [No Jew] can be right on the criminal-law issue."

“I don't think a woman should be in any government job whatever. I mean, I really don't. The reason why I do is mainly because they are erratic and emotional.“
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2021, 05:21:23 PM »

Nixon is so based.
UlmerFudd