Your vote in the 1960 presidential election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:44:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Your vote in the 1960 presidential election
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
Richard Nixon

John F. Kennedy

Harry Byrd

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 78

Author Topic: Your vote in the 1960 presidential election  (Read 1721 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 17, 2021, 11:37:28 AM »

If you could pick among the three EV-earners.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 11:48:05 AM »

Nixon
LBJer
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 11:59:53 AM »

JFK
Make America Grumpy Again
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 01:34:04 PM »

Kennedy but only because he had a good record and he was from my state. Otherwise I would've gone with Nixon, since Eisenhower was a success.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 02:34:39 PM »

Kennedy
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2021, 04:43:28 PM »
« Edited: September 17, 2021, 09:56:11 PM by Big Abraham »

Eric Hass

Edit: If I have to choose among the EV-earners, a solid abstention w/ hindsight. I probably would've backed Nixon w/o hindsight due to him being less hawkish on the Cuba issue (which, given Eisenhower's record really isn't saying much). Both men as president were of course utterly criminal and among the most violent and authoritarian regimes in American history
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2021, 05:27:17 PM »

Nixon.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2021, 08:58:10 PM »

What is it with you and Richard Nixon?
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2021, 09:04:18 PM »

Nixon!
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2021, 11:36:44 PM »

J.F.K.! (Aight, so who the actual f**k voted for Harry Byrd? Angry)

HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2021, 11:37:29 PM »

Nixon, I dislike the Kennedys.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2021, 11:41:12 PM »

JFK
Aliens
Invader
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -6.09

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2021, 01:07:40 AM »

Kennedy
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2021, 03:03:52 AM »

NOTA
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2021, 03:40:31 AM »

Honestly, without hindsight in 1960 and without knowing Lyndon Johnson would become president, I most likely have voted for Nixon. At the time, I would have perceived Nixon as more experienced and competent. And he was relatively moderate at the time, or moderate enough to get my vote. The Kennedys came off as snub and entitled which is why I found Nixon as someone who would fight harder to get stuff done.

In hindsight, obviously Kennedy for LBJ's ascension to power alone.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2021, 04:39:19 AM »

Being an Italian Catholic likely to be living in NYC, it would have been Kennedy hands down.  Nixon I would not have cared for at all, ever since the late 40s and early 50s.  I would have liked Eisenhower, though, but not tied my like of Eisenhower with Nixon, who was a different kind of Republican entirely.

That said, I would have secretly known that the Kennedys were corrupt and that the Kennedy father was an anti-Semite and not cool in my book, because I would have been a liberal (likely by 1960 a Democrat although possibly a liberal Republican from the Northeast) and I would have strongly opposed and challenged anti-Semitic attitudes that were very prevalent (and still are) in the United States.

Had I been born when my grandmother was, I would have been 25 in 1960, old enough to vote by 4 years.  I would have also been a homosexual - possibly an avowed (as was the parlance at the time) homosexual - but like all the others for the most part I'd be hidden.  Only in the 1960s and 1970s (into my 30s and 40s) would I have begun to venture out into the world and read gay literature or go to a gay political meeting.

I don't like bars so I most likely would have not been at Stonewall that night, but I would have known about it maybe through some other men that I knew and would have 100% supported the new movement that was springing up from it - even if I was closeted.

So it would have been Kennedy.  Johnson would have scared me, ironically (since 21st century me thinks very highly of him in many ways, none of them of course associated with the lies that the government began telling the American people about the war in Southeast Asia).

Kennedy possessed youth, charisma, and really a new kind of politician.  Not only could he so get it (and I'm sure for closeted gay men that was understood right away just by watching him talk), but JFK was actually ing inspiring as sh**t.  He really was quite benign, even though he did cheat on Jackie left and right, but he seemed like a really nice, cool guy.  Rich preppy yes, possibly privately elitist, but JFK exuded real appeal.  He was a guy you'd want to have a beer with.  Whereas Nixon was kind of the dude that would have a few drinks and then get thrown out of the bar for pissing off the bartender.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2021, 04:41:37 AM »

Kennedy, enthusiastically. He was the real deal.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2021, 08:24:50 AM »

Better question, what's with everyone else here and JFK?

FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2021, 08:49:21 AM »
« Edited: September 18, 2021, 10:01:28 PM by SHKH. HASAN AL-BANNAH »

For starters, Nixon didn't send us to the Moon

Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2021, 10:21:41 AM »

Being an Italian Catholic likely to be living in NYC, it would have been Kennedy hands down.  Nixon I would not have cared for at all, ever since the late 40s and early 50s.  I would have liked Eisenhower, though, but not tied my like of Eisenhower with Nixon, who was a different kind of Republican entirely.

That said, I would have secretly known that the Kennedys were corrupt and that the Kennedy father was an anti-Semite and not cool in my book, because I would have been a liberal (likely by 1960 a Democrat although possibly a liberal Republican from the Northeast) and I would have strongly opposed and challenged anti-Semitic attitudes that were very prevalent (and still are) in the United States.

Had I been born when my grandmother was, I would have been 25 in 1960, old enough to vote by 4 years.  I would have also been a homosexual - possibly an avowed (as was the parlance at the time) homosexual - but like all the others for the most part I'd be hidden.  Only in the 1960s and 1970s (into my 30s and 40s) would I have begun to venture out into the world and read gay literature or go to a gay political meeting.

I don't like bars so I most likely would have not been at Stonewall that night, but I would have known about it maybe through some other men that I knew and would have 100% supported the new movement that was springing up from it - even if I was closeted.

So it would have been Kennedy.  Johnson would have scared me, ironically (since 21st century me thinks very highly of him in many ways, none of them of course associated with the lies that the government began telling the American people about the war in Southeast Asia).

Kennedy possessed youth, charisma, and really a new kind of politician.  Not only could he so get it (and I'm sure for closeted gay men that was understood right away just by watching him talk), but JFK was actually ing inspiring as sh**t.  He really was quite benign, even though he did cheat on Jackie left and right, but he seemed like a really nice, cool guy.  Rich preppy yes, possibly privately elitist, but JFK exuded real appeal.  He was a guy you'd want to have a beer with.  Whereas Nixon was kind of the dude that would have a few drinks and then get thrown out of the bar for pissing off the bartender.

lol anti-semitism is not at all prevalent in the US.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2021, 10:39:14 AM »

Nixon’s Senate campaign would lead me to vote for Kennedy.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2021, 11:56:00 AM »

Without hindsight, Nixon. He seemed to have mellowed as VP from his early political career and I would've seen his as more experienced and capable than JFK. Also, I likely would've felt a continuation of Eisenhower was necessary. Nixon, without the loss of 1960 as well as his loss to Pat Brown in 1962, might've actually have been a decent President so I might say Nixon with hindsight too.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2021, 12:15:24 PM »

Dodging! Tsk tsk.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2021, 12:29:33 PM »

In the spirit of progressive85's essay about who she'd be in 1960 and how she'd vote as a consequence of that, I suppose 1960!Peebs would be a 22-year-old Irish Catholic from Worcester (and ostensibly a straight man, especially since the consensus wouldn't agree that trans women can be lesbians until well into the '80s, and even then, the '80s were reactionary enough that it might as well have been the '90s when trans lesbians became acknowledged), so she (he?) would be a new voter and, out of Irish Catholic solidarity (and perhaps out of having a similar ideology to 2021 me), likely solidly in the Kennedy camp.

2021 me votes for Kennedy.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2021, 02:06:49 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length