South Carolina and Mississippi in 1928

(1/2) > >>

RBH:
I know that Bilbo was working for Smith, and there was probably a united front for Smith as well, that was helpful for Al and all.

Unlike Alabama (Heflin), Texas (Tom Love and others), Georgia (W.D. Upshaw and others) and North Carolina (Simmons), I don't think there was any major breaks for Hoover in either Mississippi or South Carolina.

And Hoover failed to get 10 votes in quite a few counties in those states.

So, anybody got anything to add about the 1928 elections in those two states?

memphis:
Herbert Hoover had been very prominent in relief efforts during the Great Mississippi flood of 1927. The fact that he broke 15% in MS (the first Republican in 40 years to do so) was probably a result of this.

RBH:
Here's Hoover's results in the River counties, going from North to South

De Soto: 64 votes (4.5%)
Tunica: 26 votes (4%)
Coahoma: 223 votes (11%)
Bolivar: 266 votes (12%)
Washington: 246 votes (14%)
Issaquena: 6 votes (4%)
Warren: 530 votes (16%)
Claiborne: 43 votes (6%)
Jefferson: 61 votes (7%)
Adams: 840 votes (39%)
Wilkinson: 73 votes (9%)

The CQ results also give Smith a 1020 to 1 victory in Humphreys county.

Nym90:
Intersesting. I wonder why Hoover did so well in Adams county.

Overall the South was pretty well screwed in this election; they had to choose between a Catholic and a Republican (and worse yet, a Catholic who favored repeal of Prohibition). I guess the Deep South considered being a Republican to be worse. :)

Gustaf:
I prevously raised the question why Smith got 82% in Mississippi but only 51% in Alabama, when the two usually voted alike. But most people didn't seem to get the question. :P Why did some Southern states swing towards Hoover while others didn't?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page