USA to sell Nuclear Subs to Australia (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:28:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  USA to sell Nuclear Subs to Australia (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: USA to sell Nuclear Subs to Australia  (Read 2862 times)
rc18
United Kingdom

« on: September 16, 2021, 11:31:44 AM »
« edited: September 16, 2021, 12:12:48 PM by rc18 »

Hilariously in practice its more anti-France than anti-China. Must be why Britain's so enthusiastically jumped aboard.

Unlikely, when it comes to military matters the UK and France work relatively well together. Notice how most of the French ire is directed at the US.

From the initial reports it's hard to say specifically what they're envisioning. Some early reports talked of buying US submarines, but that seems really really unlikely. More likely it will be licensing of Royal Navy Astute-class tech, which includes a lot of tech the UK licenses from the US. So less direct tech transfer and more bringing Australia into the same arrangement the UK has had with the US. That would explain why the UK needed to be involved, though I'm sure Boris was happy to oblige!

Note that India is still conspicuously absent from this "Indo-Pacific" Asian NATO bs. I wonder what it's going to take to really get the Quad together, it'll be hard to contain China without flanking them in South Asia.

As I understand it India and Japan will conspicuously be present at the signing of the agreement in Washington.
rc18
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 01:03:37 PM »
« Edited: September 19, 2021, 01:40:33 PM by rc18 »

They can't get in a strop with us, as the only other country in Europe with power projection capabilities they need us. They'd not only have their Indo-Pacific ambitions torpedoed, but also their European and North African ones.

Of course acknowledging that fact would seriously damage French pride, so they'd rather indulge in a bit of banter to distract from it.
rc18
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 08:09:55 AM »
« Edited: September 21, 2021, 08:13:19 AM by rc18 »

I must say, the "You shouldn't snub the French or they'll ally with the Russians" line is not exactly the killer argument in favour of closer cooperation some appear to think it is...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies