LGC 3.2 - Removal and Replacement of the Speaker (ENACTED)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:33:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LGC 3.2 - Removal and Replacement of the Speaker (ENACTED)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LGC 3.2 - Removal and Replacement of the Speaker (ENACTED)  (Read 870 times)
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 15, 2021, 11:45:30 AM »
« edited: September 17, 2021, 08:02:21 PM by Lincoln Deputy Dwarven Dragon »

An Act

To Remove and Replace the Speaker of the General Court

Section 1. Termination of Speaker Crane

In recognition of the recent special election result,

And in a desire to increase the level of serious legislative work being accomplished,

The General Court hereby immediately terminates Crane from the position of Speaker.

Section 2. Replacement

The General Court hereby selects ReaganClinton as its new speaker.

Sponsor: Dwarven Dragon

As the Speaker cannot preside over their own termination according to the SOAP, the Governor has designated me as the special presiding officer for this legislation.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 11:51:22 AM »

A few logistical notes:

Pursuant to the SOAP, the removal of a speaker is exempt from normal debate requirements. Debate is open at the presiding officer's discretion. I intend to allow the bill to be debated and do the vote when debate seems to have ceased.

I am aware that Speaker Crane issued a statement of resignation in the introduction thread:

- with respect to being a GC deputy he did not post his resignation in the correct spot and it is thus not valid. Such resignations go in the swearing-in thread.
- with respect to being Speaker I am not sure if it is valid or not, so I have left the bill in its original state so we can be sure all necessary action has been taken.

I have consulted with several members of the court ahead of time and the selected candidate is an individual I believe has the confidence of a majority of the Court.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 01:30:55 PM »

Crane has done a good job and pushing for a new speaker when you won a special election with literally no mandate is just so comically partisan. At least when you axed me you had more of a mandate, oh wait, no you didn't, because your majority was reliant on you changing parties. Anyways, do we really need more special elections?
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 02:30:38 PM »

As I said before when ReaganClinton issued a press statement complaining about the speakership, there's nothing I can do to fix people's unwillingness to vote and make legislation. There's limited interest in Atlasia right now, more than ever, probably because people see everything but the elections themselves as pointless. And it's a fair assessment to make, because it's not really clear how legislation affects the direction of the game. Some people want to participate in the game but have limited free time to do so. Maybe not you, but some people. I think they should be accomodated, people aren't exactly lining up to hold office.

As for "not allowing for the passage of serious legislation", that's a comical charge, given a) I brought numerous pieces of legislation to the floor last term, some of which passed but was mostly vetoed by the governor, and b) neither you or ReaganClinton proposed sh**t this session, even after Tack50 had left his position to be in the Senate and the zombie DA had an effective majority (and even without it I was more than willing to work with you to pass legislation as evidenced by several votes in the previous term.) I fail to see what will change with 3-1 vs 2-1. My French language bill was the only legislation on the floor, regardless of how you feel about the seriousness of the proposal it was the SOLE active legislation and that's on you and RC.

I could resign formally from the GC but I don't see a point given the lack of interest in filling it. I certainly won't participate or help in any official processes regarding my removal since it's both an absurdly punitive and retaliatory gesture and will change nothing about the status of the game generally and the malaise of the Lincoln government in particular.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 02:44:04 PM »

Crane has done a good job and pushing for a new speaker when you won a special election with literally no mandate is just so comically partisan. At least when you axed me you had more of a mandate, oh wait, no you didn't, because your majority was reliant on you changing parties. Anyways, do we really need more special elections?

The AGA thing actually wasn't dependent on me, it was a 4-1 majority at the time. If I was still in Labor, AGA+BJ+IBNU could have easily done the same thing without me. Whether they would have is a good question but they certainly could have.

Crane hasn't been the worst Speaker, but the voice of the voters this past weekend is clear and I confirmed with RC before posting this that he does indeed want the switch to happen.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 02:52:23 PM »

Crane hasn't been the worst Speaker, but the voice of the voters this past weekend is clear and I confirmed with RC before posting this that he does indeed want the switch to happen.
Tell the public beforehand instead of hiding out in the DA-Federalist discord.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 07:08:20 PM »

I think the debate has ceased in this thread, so seeing that the SOAP exempts this from normal debate requirements and lets me start the vote when I choose, I shall do so at this time.

Deputies please vote AYE, NAY, or Abstain. Vote lasts 48 hours or until all have voted.

AYE
RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -6.96

P P P

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 07:52:22 PM »

In the terms of this bill, I believe that the Court should represent the will of the people. With the Court composition changing in such a way that it's leader doesn't reflect the people's decision, I think it is a necessity to end the current Speaker's tenure.

Aye.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2021, 10:09:24 PM »

Can't hide out in something that doesn't exist. We haven't re-established ties at all and we still refuse to until the feds do something about LT.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2021, 10:11:29 PM »

Can't hide out in something that doesn't exist. We haven't re-established ties at all and we still refuse to until the feds do something about LT.
I am the Feds!
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2021, 10:27:23 PM »

I am the Feds!

And that is precisely what is wrong with the Federalist Party!
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2021, 10:34:46 PM »

I am the Feds!

Interesting statement from someone who’s been bottoming LT for 6 months.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2021, 10:36:09 PM »

I am the Feds!

Interesting statement from someone who’s been bottoming LT for 6 months.
I've openly said I'm not voting for him if he's the nominee again. After the august elections I issued a statement very critical of him and his party. Perhaps you should actually research your facts before you post.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2021, 11:27:52 PM »

I do not recognize the governor's suspension of the GC or the Regional Court as a constitutionally valid executive order and thus will continue the vote.

A formal lawsuit on this will be filed in an appropriate venue tomorrow.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2021, 11:31:49 PM »

Mr. Deputy, I suggest you give up on this venture, you have started revolution in our region, and if you do not stop your antics and this situation continues to escalate, I may be forced to take drastic measures, including a 1 way trip to EWR.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2021, 11:46:02 PM »

(1)

(1) Source: Wikimedia Commons.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2021, 11:48:09 PM »

The General Court building has been overrun by Lincolnist rebels from Suffolk County, New York. Unfortunately, due to Wulfric's decision to leave protective custody, he has been taken hostage. The Governor and I will work with the top law enforcement to secure his release.

Thank you,
Crane
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2021, 12:00:10 AM »

(1)

(1) Source: Wikimedia Commons.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2021, 06:53:25 AM »

your party voted for a federalist candidate in the special election but ok
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2021, 08:08:28 AM »

I will vote Aye on the motion, the putschists notwithstanding. An issue for another day I suppose.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2021, 09:39:39 AM »

your party voted for a federalist candidate in the special election but ok
I can assure you that if we had found a suitable candidate of our party that we would have likely voted for them.  however there was not one. I did not direct anyone to vote a certain way because that has never been the DA way. We are independent and if our members decided to vote for FrancoAgo that would be their right. 

We do not coordinate with federalists at all, there is no “DA-Fed” discord, there is no contact between us. 
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2021, 08:01:20 PM »

On a vote of 3-0 with 1 not voting this bill passes.

As an internal matter of the Court, No gubernatorial input is required.

Decisions of future compliance with contested orders shall be the purview of the new Speaker. I look forward to performing whatever work is decided to be appropriate.

All Hail RC!
RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -6.96

P P P

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2021, 09:57:17 AM »

On a vote of 3-0 with 1 not voting this bill passes.

As an internal matter of the Court, No gubernatorial input is required.

Decisions of future compliance with contested orders shall be the purview of the new Speaker. I look forward to performing whatever work is decided to be appropriate.

All Hail RC!
I assure the people that I will serve as speaker effectively as I did 4 years ago. Just one ask, please don't idolize me like that. We're going back to work like it's 2017, not like 1760.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2021, 01:15:54 PM »

The votes and result during the suspension of meeting will without objection stand as the judgment of the GC
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies