Tonge sacked over suicide bomber comment (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:38:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Tonge sacked over suicide bomber comment (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tonge sacked over suicide bomber comment  (Read 7088 times)
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« on: January 24, 2004, 06:01:56 PM »
« edited: January 24, 2004, 06:14:01 PM by Michael Zeigermann »

I agree entirely that Jenny Tonge's comments were clumsy and totally uncalled for. Gustaf and Realpolitik were right on the money with a lot of the things they said.

Furthermore, it would have been hypocritical of us as a society to condemn Kilroy-Silk's anti-Arab comments, and then suddenly play the free speech card when Jenny Tonge makes a clumsy statement like that.

However, M, please don't get me wrong, I understand the level of suffering Jewish people have endured throughout the centuries and I totally respect the free state of Israel, but your attitude here is far from constructive. I mean, you see anti-Semites everywhere! Howard Dean, CNN... who's next? To accuse someone of racism is an extremely serious affair, and not something to be done lightly.

If we want to resolve the situation in Israel and stop people from dying we need to have a debate. But if people are too scared to contribute for fear of being branded anti-Semitic (because they may say something Likud or other conservative groups won't like) they won't, and as a consequence people will continue to die.

What you're doing is not stopping anti-Semitism, it is stifling debate.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies