Is veal cruel?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:20:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is veal cruel?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ...
Yes (Vegetarian/Vegan)

No (Vegetarian/Vegan)

Yes (Non-Vegetarian/Vegan)

No (Non-Vegetarian/Vegan)

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 61

Author Topic: Is veal cruel?  (Read 2270 times)
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2021, 12:08:32 AM »

Yes obviously it is. 
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2021, 10:32:45 PM »

I am not a vegetarian but I do not eat veal because I find it problematic.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2021, 06:41:39 PM »

Certainly there are cruel ways of producing veal, but the industry is improving for a variety of reasons tho it certainly has room to improve.  Keeping in mind that for the calves mainly used to make veal, male calves from dairy cattle breeds, if veal were banned or no longer economically viable, they'd by and large be killed shortly after birth. There's no economic reason for them to be raised for beef. Hence no one should be under the illusion that ending the human practice of veal consumption would allow male dairy calves to grow to adulthood.

So the question is: can veal be produced in a non-cruel manner and still be economically viable?

I support banning veal crates and veal tethering. I don't know enough to know whether milk-fed-only veal should be banned. But I see no reason to ban veal in all its forms.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2021, 11:40:52 PM »

Certainly there are cruel ways of producing veal, but the industry is improving for a variety of reasons tho it certainly has room to improve.  Keeping in mind that for the calves mainly used to make veal, male calves from dairy cattle breeds, if veal were banned or no longer economically viable, they'd by and large be killed shortly after birth. There's no economic reason for them to be raised for beef. Hence no one should be under the illusion that ending the human practice of veal consumption would allow male dairy calves to grow to adulthood.

So the question is: can veal be produced in a non-cruel manner and still be economically viable?

I support banning veal crates and veal tethering. I don't know enough to know whether milk-fed-only veal should be banned. But I see no reason to ban veal in all its forms.

The malnourishment and stunted physical development is what gives the veal its unique flavor. (I have never eaten veal myself, just quoting from the sources.) If you ban crates or tethering and require proper nutrition, the calf will be less valuable (maybe slightly more so than regular beef, if that) because the cruelty is literally what gives the veal its taste. But if you support banning cruelty against baby cows, you support banning veal.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2021, 07:19:50 AM »

People think I'm cruel for eating lamb because lambs are cute.  (Yes, that's an actual argument I've heard)

Those people can suck it.   I will never give up lamb vindaloo or döner. 
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2021, 12:28:05 AM »

The malnourishment and stunted physical development is what gives the veal its unique flavor. (I have never eaten veal myself, just quoting from the sources.) If you ban crates or tethering and require proper nutrition, the calf will be less valuable (maybe slightly more so than regular beef, if that) because the cruelty is literally what gives the veal its taste. But if you support banning cruelty against baby cows, you support banning veal.

I'm a cheap bastard, so I've never bothered with veal. That said, if veal is ever completely banned, veal calves will be slaughtered immediately after birth, or maybe even before. Raising male calves of dairy breeds for beef makes zero economic sense.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2021, 06:30:22 PM »

Veal milanesas are great, had some yesterday as a matter of fact
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies