State trend predictions through the 2030's
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:37:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  State trend predictions through the 2030's
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: State trend predictions through the 2030's  (Read 3990 times)
kwabbit

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2021, 12:19:46 AM »

This is my prediction for trend (relative to the nation). GOP makes gains with Latinos, WWC, Dems gain with College Whites

Tbh I think New York will trend Republican. I mean the counties directly north of NYC (probably excluding Rockland) likely will trend Democratic due to liberal city transplants but I think the city itself will trend decently Republican. Manhattan stays fairly static, Brooklyn moves a bit right due to trends in South Brooklyn, Staten Island goes safe R, Bronx is still safe Dem but not as monolithically so and Queens moves fairly heavily right due to pro-R swings in non-'ideologically liberal' Asian/Hispanic (and to a lesser extent Black) areas.

The next political era dividing line probably won't be so much urban vs. rural but more genteel vs. 'rough and ready'.

You're right, I hadn't considered that. NY's neutral trend was based on the fact that I estimated the trends of the suburbs would counter NYC rightward trends. But Long Island has been stubbornly decent GOP despite its diversity and education attainment. I have theorized that this is due to a high percentage of Italians, who despite their success, remain 'rough and ready', while successful Anglos are genteel. The same below-expectations Dem performance can be seen in Bergen County, NJ. Given the fact that Long Island might not trend as D, NY as a whole should trend R.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2021, 04:26:11 AM »

The problem is most states seem to be trending left, yet federal elections stay competitive, and if they no longer be.. and the Republicans have no path to the WH, what will than happen? Will a third party rise? Will the Democrats be certain of the WH and the primaries matter more, resulting in Republicans registering as Democrat in Democratic states strategically, as the Democratic Party becoems a catch-all party. Or will the GOP adapt to new circumstances?

Maybe the suburban areas cancel the trend somewhat because of the left-wing direction of Democrats on social issues? Maybe minorities trend Republican (even if hispanics are a non-uniform group). I personally find the future hard to imagine as almost every state is growing and the ones that don't, don't really matter on a federal level.

It's hard to imagine a Republican ever winning the NPV if that didn't happen in 2016-2020 if they keep running on a platform endorsing Trump. Or the Democrats itself have to  it up and collapse. I really have no idea how in the long run the GOP can manage to stay relevant, unless the Americans aren't as progressives as some of us like to believe (which might be the case) and that the trends were there for other reasons.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2021, 05:23:39 AM »

The darker the color, the stronger the trend. Gray means largely stagnant/negligible trend.
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2021, 09:41:21 AM »

This is my prediction for trend (relative to the nation). GOP makes gains with Latinos, WWC, Dems gain with College Whites

Tbh I think New York will trend Republican. I mean the counties directly north of NYC (probably excluding Rockland) likely will trend Democratic due to liberal city transplants but I think the city itself will trend decently Republican. Manhattan stays fairly static, Brooklyn moves a bit right due to trends in South Brooklyn, Staten Island goes safe R, Bronx is still safe Dem but not as monolithically so and Queens moves fairly heavily right due to pro-R swings in non-'ideologically liberal' Asian/Hispanic (and to a lesser extent Black) areas.

The next political era dividing line probably won't be so much urban vs. rural but more genteel vs. 'rough and ready'.

Curious how a “genteel vs rough and ready” divide would play out among different nonwhite racial and ancestry/culture groups, and whether this would be different from existing educational attainment polarization.
Make America Grumpy Again
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2022, 03:16:15 PM »
« Edited: May 02, 2022, 03:21:01 PM by Christian Man »

I wanted to revisit this post. I think my original projections could still happen, but I think it would take longer (perhaps 2040's at the earliest compared to 2030's) and if current trends continue, I anticipate that the Dems share of minority voters will shrink as Blacks in particular with conservative views shift from the Dems to the GOP.

This is my new map projection for the next few decades, at least until there's another major realignment. Due to the internet and social media, I've noticed that the increased partisan nature of this country is the primary reason why it has remained relatively the same politically since 2000.

Dark red: Almost certainly Dem
Medium red: Democratic strongholds but could go GOP in a '72/'84 type landslide
Light red: Dem states that could go Rep in a '56/'16 style landslide (Just Minnesota)
Very light red: Swing-states; lean Dem
Very light blue: Swing-states; lean Rep
Light blue: GOP states that could go Dem in a '96/'08 style landslide
Medium blue: Republican strongholds that could go Dem in a '32/'64 type landslide
Dark blue: Almost certainly Rep

Some people might be curious on why Utah is a safer color compared to a state like North Dakota, even if it is trending blue. Utah was a bad fit for Trump, but it still voted for him by almost 20 points. Even if the GOP remains the Trump party, I don't see Utah flipping in the next 10-15 years. If an Obama '08 type candidate runs and conditions are bad enough, the plains states including the Dakotas are more likely to flip than Utah. While Biden improved compared to prior Dems, it doesn't mean Utah is going to become a swing state. The electorate is still very conservative, particularly on social issues and are not likely to support the Dem party despite their differing views on issues such as immigration.

Swing-state analyses:

Alaska: Dems may take the upper hand due to the state's stances on issues including immigration and climate change.

Montana: Still a Rep state but elastic. People seem to forget that Montana went from Bush +21 to McCain +2 4 years later. If conditions are unpopular enough, I still see the possibility of Montana voting Dem. After all they recently had a Dem governor and they have a Dem senator. The conditions just have to be right and with climate change becoming more a dire issue, I see Montana moving to the left compared to where it is now.

Florida: I see Florida continuing to become more Republican as retirees/latino refugees move in. I anticipate it'll become a consistent Rep state but one that could be competitive during a strong cycle for Dems.

The Rust Belt: Continuing to trend away but it is not a lost cause for Dems, even in a state such as Iowa & Ohio. Trump happened to be a great fit for that region but it can still vote Dem if the conditions are right. This area is not a fiscally conservative area and is not nearly as socially conservative as areas to the South. Especially if the GOP abandons protectionism, I see it moving back to the Dems as immigration/trade seems to be the primary reason why Trump and Republicans did as well as they did in this region.

The Sun Belt: Continuing to trend Dem, particularly in suburban areas as immigration and climate change become hot button issues. Some states including Nevada might vote Rep one more time, but I think the long-term prognosis is good as long as the state party doesn't mess it up. Climate change will become more important due to the ongoing drought and the area is becoming more hospitable to immigrants compared to even 10 years ago.

Texas: I think Texas will trend Dem, but remain a swing state. Dem growth in urban/suburban areas plus new refugees are changing the demographics of the state to favor Dems. At the same time, conservative Latinos are trending R, although that area is largely rural and unpopulated and might only be a slight hiccup in Texas's transition leftward.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2022, 03:54:19 PM »

The darker the color, the stronger the trend. Gray means largely stagnant/negligible trend.

This looks really close to mine although I'm less bearish on the TX GOP than you are.  I'd make TX either light red or gray.  They seem to be holding it together for a while longer there.
Unelectable Bystander
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2022, 05:45:41 PM »

Every state trends D due to growing cities of course
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2022, 06:35:13 PM »

I tend to agree with this map but with Texas as more towards grey and Virginia as a pretty neutral trend. I can't really see it attracting the mass migration necessary to make it more DEM or GOP than its baseline is.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2022, 06:39:11 PM »

Made a few improvements
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2022, 12:40:44 AM »

Curious how a “genteel vs rough and ready” divide would play out among different nonwhite racial and ancestry/culture groups, and whether this would be different from existing educational attainment polarization.

Attempted trend map projection post-2022 midterms:

iceman
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2022, 12:08:00 AM »

Every state trends D due to growing cities of course

that’s absurd. somewhere around the nation has to shift right somehow.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2022, 05:35:17 PM »

Not sure I buy the South (outside of Atlanta) trending left that hard anymore.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2022, 07:47:59 PM »

At this point, I actually think most of the South (other than GA/NC) will trend further to the right, at least in the short term.
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2022, 08:44:18 PM »

-snip-

Not sure I buy the South (outside of Atlanta) trending left that hard anymore.

At this point, I actually think most of the South (other than GA/NC) will trend further to the right, at least in the short term.

2036 and 2040 are still several cycles away. But yeah I just lazily copied MT Treasurer's map and made some minor edits. I'm fairly confident the Northeast will trend R, and I can't see most of the Midwest trending D, so there need to be D trends somewhere.

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies