SB 105-01: Victory of the People Act (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:38:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 105-01: Victory of the People Act (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SB 105-01: Victory of the People Act (Passed)  (Read 3671 times)
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« on: September 11, 2021, 09:32:52 PM »

I do not have either Yankee's or Scott's way with words, but this is unconstitutional and ineffectual hogwash.

AYE!
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 12:19:44 AM »

Further amendment reflecting the concerns that have already been raised multiple times in this thread.

Quote from: An Amendment
AN ACT
To facilitate the expansion of the welfare state
And complete their victory over capital

Be it enacted by the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia assembled,

SECTION 1. Title.
1. The title of this act shall be the Victory of the People Act.

SECTION 2. Transition of power.
All workers shall have the right to organize themselves into a trade union if they so wish. All workers shall also be protected from being fired as a result of joining a trade union.

SECTION 3. Ownership of the means of production.
Henceforward corporate governors shall be bound by the same restrictions with regard to human rights as the state, including specifically the prohibition against making or enforcing any rule or regulation abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the workers to peaceably assemble and petition the management for a redress of grievances.

SECTION 4. Nationalization.
1. All steel manufacturers are brought into public ownership immediately upon passage of this act and placed under the control of an Atlasian Steel Authority.
2. All fuel and power companies shall be brought into public ownership effective upon passage of this act and placed under the control of an Atlasian Energy Authority.
3. All financial and lending institutions shall be brought into a central organization consisting of half private and half public ownership effective upon passage of this act.
4. All institutions of higher education shall be brought into public ownership effective upon passage of this act and placed under the control of an Atlasian University System.
5. Each of these authorities, and such others as may be established by the People’s Republic for major industries, shall be organized federatively with governing boards in each region composed of an equal number of directors appointed by the regional legislature and the workers’ councils and trade unions. These regional boards will answer to the federal authority of the People’s Republic, one-third the members of which will be appointed by the regional legislatures, one-third by the Interior Department, and one-third by the workers’ councils and trade unions.

SECTION 5 4. Rights.
1. We adopt the Declaration of the Rights of Man and Citizen without reservation, and add the right to organize, the right to food and shelter, the right to care in sickness and in old age, the right to employment, and the right to peace.
2. No worker shall suffer execution.
3. No worker shall be deprived of a living wage.
4. No worker shall be denied equal protection of the law on account of race, sex, gender, religion, or nation of origin.

SECTION 6 5. Peace and Freedom.
The people of each city and region will be allowed to go about their lives in peace, and no coercive force applied, where threat of violence is not first offered. If there be any who would still adhere to the old constitution, let them stand unmolested, as testament to the safety with which error of opinion may be tolerated while reason is left free to combat it. We ask no tribute which is not given freely, we enlist no conscript nor solicit begrudging loyalty. We trust to arms only for our own defense, and otherwise. We trust to fate and history to vindicate our cause and complete the victory of the people.

I would further ask about the inclusion of the final section, as it is rather tangential to the bill and appears to refer to a Constitution that is still in force.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 09:29:21 PM »

AYE.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2021, 12:47:10 AM »

Wait.

I'm sorry.

I agree with some of the eliminations made by the amendment but others cause problems. Can we work out a bipartisan deal?

What do you have in mind?

I was thinking we don't need to eliminate the entire third section and work out a compromise.

The compromise, I think, would have to be the state owning 51% of assets, as was done with the energy sector in the RGND. If someone wants to introduce an amendment to that effect, I won't object.

We really are in a pretty pass if an RGND-style arrangement is a "compromise."

Anyway, I am perfectly fine with the bill as-is and there is hardly any part of the section we just struck that is not objectionable in some form. The reasoning behind my RGND vote is fairly easy to find. I will not be introducing any such amendment and if the President or other Senators want to do so, or at least elaborate further on their concerns so we have something to work with, then that is naturally something to be worked out by whoever wants it.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2021, 10:09:02 PM »

Just remembered nobody's responded to my earlier question:

SECTION 5. Peace and Freedom.
The people of each city and region will be allowed to go about their lives in peace, and no coercive force applied, where threat of violence is not first offered. If there be any who would still adhere to the old constitution, let them stand unmolested, as testament to the safety with which error of opinion may be tolerated while reason is left free to combat it. We ask no tribute which is not given freely, we enlist no conscript nor solicit begrudging loyalty. We trust to arms only for our own defense, and otherwise. We trust to fate and history to vindicate our cause and complete the victory of the people.

What's up with this section, by the way? Bolded part seems odd.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies