SB 105-01: Victory of the People Act (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:25:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 105-01: Victory of the People Act (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SB 105-01: Victory of the People Act (Passed)  (Read 3765 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« on: September 09, 2021, 06:41:54 PM »
« edited: November 15, 2021, 04:20:03 PM by President Scott☀️ »

AN ACT
To facilitate the people’s revolution
And complete their victory over capital
Be it enacted by the Senate and the People of the Republic of Atlasia:
SECTION 1. Title.
1. The title of this act shall be the Victory of the People Act.
SECTION 2. Transition of power.
1. Immediately upon passage of this act, the Republic of Atlasia organized under the fifth constitution thereof shall cease to exist.
2. At the moment of its dissolution, it will be succeeded by a People’s Republic representing the farmers and the working people of the nation.
3. The annual meeting shall be the highest authority of the People’s Republic. One-half the deputies shall be appointed by the workers’ councils and various trade unions, and the other half by the regional councils.
4. As the People’s Republic is established in each region of the former federative republic, the people will organize themselves into farmers’ and workers’ councils according to their trade, alongside the existing unions, and will also constitute regional councils or monthly meetings to represent the common interests of all workers.
5. The annual meeting shall appoint the executive council to attend to the obligations of the government and exercise the authority of the People’s Republic in their absence.
6. The right to participate in democracy and government shall be limited to members of the Communist party and independent guests.
SECTION 3. Ownership of the means of production.
1. Ownership of all private corporations valued at over $100,000 shall transfer to a board of directors chosen by and from the workers employed by that corporation, and all the wealth generated by these corporations shall be shared equally among the workers according to their contribution in hours.
2. Henceforward corporate governors shall be bound by the same restrictions with regard to human rights as the state, including specifically the prohibition against making or enforcing any rule or regulation abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the workers to peaceably assemble and petition the management for a redress of grievances.
SECTION 4. Nationalization.
1. All railways are brought into public ownership immediately upon passage of this act and placed under the control of an Atlasian Railway Authority.
2. All steel manufacturers are brought into public ownership immediately upon passage of this act and placed under the control of an Atlasian Steel Authority.
3. All fuel and power companies shall be brought into public ownership effective upon passage of this act and placed under the control of an Atlasian Energy Authority.
4. All financial and lending institutions shall be brought into public ownership effective upon passage of this act and placed under the control of an Atlasian Monetary Authority.
5. All institutions of higher education shall be brought into public ownership effective upon passage of this act and placed under the control of an Atlasian University System.
6. Each of these authorities, and such others as may be established by the People’s Republic for major industries, shall be organized federatively with governing boards in each region composed of an equal number of directors appointed by the regional council and the workers’ councils and trade unions. These regional boards will answer to the federal authority of the People’s Republic, one-third the members of which will be appointed by the regional councils, one-third by the annual meeting, and one-third by the workers’ councils and trade unions.
SECTION 5. Rights.
1. We adopt the Declaration of the Rights of Man and Citizen without reservation, and add the right to organize, the right to food and shelter, the right to care in sickness and in old age, the right to employment, and the right to peace.
2. No worker shall suffer execution or life imprisonment without parole.
3. No worker shall be deprived of the fruits of their labor.
4. No worker shall be denied equal protection of the law on account of race, sex, gender, religion, or nation of origin.
SECTION 6. Emblems.
1. The flag of the People’s Republic shall be a red field with three gold stars in the upper canton to represent the three regions.
2. The anthem of the People’s Republic shall be the Internationale.
3. The motto of the People’s Republic shall be “workers of the world, unite!”
4. The seal of the People’s Republic shall be a crossed hammer and sickle with three stars to represent the three regions, with the words “People’s Republic of Atlasia” across the top, and the motto across the bottom.
SECTION 7. Peace and Freedom.
1. The people of each city and region will be allowed to go about their lives in peace, and no coercive force applied, where threat of violence is not first offered. If there be any who would still adhere to the old constitution, let them stand unmolested, as testament to the safety with which error of opinion may be tolerated while reason is left free to combat it. We ask no tribute which is not given freely, we enlist no conscript nor solicit begrudging loyalty. We trust to arms only for our own defense, and otherwise trust to fate and history to vindicate our cause and complete the victory of the people.
Sponsor: FalterinArc

The gentleman from Washington is recognized.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 06:37:25 PM »

With two members having motioned to table, a vote on the motion is now open. Senators, please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 06:38:40 PM »

Meme bills are so played out, guys.

Aye
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 06:52:03 PM »

For procedural reasons, I should have just blocked the bill, because obviously any bill that seeks to repeal or replace the Constitution is unconstitutional on its face, unless obviously it in itself is a resolution to amend the Constitution. I know this isn't a serious proposal but I don't like blocking bills, although there has been a lot of frivolous and unconstitutional crap being submitted. I suppose it's to be expected given the malaise.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 10:29:08 PM »

While I am in support of the people making decisions based on who is in office, this bill is blatantly unconstitutional. Nay.

This vote is on the motion to table.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2021, 08:47:35 PM »

It is unconstitutional to seize private property the way this bill tries to do, and would require a new constitution or an amendment to allow the government to simply nationalize industry without allowing property owners to challenge this unwarranted seizure of industry. If this bill were to pass - and I don't think it will - it would easily be challenged in the Supreme Court and struck down.

I concur with Senator Yankee 100%. I am all for allowing workers to own part of what they make, and empowering workers to bargain for better working conditions and compensation, but this bill is not the way to do it. Unless the sponsor or the supporters of this bill revamp it to pass constitutional muster and protect property rights, it is fundamentally unworkable and should be rejected by this body.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2021, 10:21:35 PM »

I am suspending the vote. It is clear that the table motion does not have sufficient support.

I implore the supporters of this bill to justify its constitutionality or make significant changes to the current text.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2021, 10:46:12 PM »

Two-thirds of the Senate has not voted to table the bill.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2021, 11:14:20 PM »

Sponsor feedback on S019's amendment?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2021, 11:59:27 PM »

Senators have 24 hours to object to the amendment.

Unilateral nationalization of steel, energy, and education still doesn't pass the smell test, so although S019's amendment is an improvement, those unconstitutional provisions need to be removed also. (And Blair better post the new noticeboard ASAP.)

I will post the new text if the amendment is adopted.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2021, 03:39:20 AM »

Hearing no objection, the amendment is adopted.

Quote from: Current Senate Text
AN ACT
To facilitate the the expansion of the welfare state

SECTION 1. Title.

All workers shall have the right to organize themselves into a trade union if they so wish. All workers shall also be protected from being fired as a result of joining a trade union.

Henceforward corporate governors shall be bound by the same restrictions with regard to human rights as the state, including specifically the prohibition against making or enforcing any rule or regulation abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the workers to peaceably assemble and petition the management for a redress of grievances.

1. All steel manufacturers are brought into public ownership immediately upon passage of this act and placed under the control of an Atlasian Steel Authority.
2. All fuel and power companies shall be brought into public ownership effective upon passage of this act and placed under the control of an Atlasian Energy Authority.
3. All financial and lending institutions shall be brought into a central organization consisting of half private and half public ownership effective upon passage of this act.
4. All institutions of higher education shall be brought into public ownership effective upon passage of this act and placed under the control of an Atlasian University System.
5. Each of these authorities, and such others as may be established by the People’s Republic for major industries, shall be organized federatively with governing boards in each region composed of an equal number of directors appointed by the regional legislature and the workers’ councils and trade unions. These regional boards will answer to the federal authority of the People’s Republic, one-third the members of which will be appointed by the regional legislatures, one-third by the Interior Department, and one-third by the workers’ councils and trade unions.

SECTION 5. Rights.
1. We adopt the Declaration of the Rights of Man and Citizen without reservation, and add the right to organize, the right to food and shelter, the right to care in sickness and in old age, the right to employment, and the right to peace.
2. No worker shall suffer execution.
3. No worker shall be deprived of a living wage.
4. No worker shall be denied equal protection of the law on account of race, sex, gender, religion, or nation of origin.

SECTION 6. Emblems.
1. The flag of the People’s Republic shall be a red field.
2. The anthem of the People’s Republic shall be the The Red Flag.
3. The seal of the People’s Republic shall be a crossed hammer and sickle with three stars to represent the three regions, with the words “People’s Republic of Atlasia” across the top, and the motto across the bottom.

SECTION 7. Peace and Freedom.
The people of each city and region will be allowed to go about their lives in peace, and no coercive force applied, where threat of violence is not first offered. If there be any who would still adhere to the old constitution, let them stand unmolested, as testament to the safety with which error of opinion may be tolerated while reason is left free to combat it. We ask no tribute which is not given freely, we enlist no conscript nor solicit begrudging loyalty. We trust to arms only for our own defense, and otherwise. We trust to fate and history to vindicate our cause and complete the victory of the people.

I have some thoughts on this that I will discuss later (along with the new noticeboard - don't worry, Yankee). I have a splitting headache right now but I wanted to get this out of the way.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2021, 09:15:21 PM »

Sorry about this.

Anyway, I don't know if nationalization (as in, the government owning 100% of industry) would be constitutional, however, we did, I suppose, partially nationalize energy in the Red-Green New Deal by establishing a national energy corporation with 51% ownership in December. I am more amenable to this than assuming control wholesale.

I've also noted to some Laborites that it is strange how this bill practically nationalizes everything except healthcare. I won't support that because I like allowing regional flexibility, and biased as I might be, I think FT's system (essentially, public insurance with non-profit private options, which is what Germany has used for a long time with mostly positive results) is best for that.

But again, I am open to supporting the bill if state ownership is 51% for these industries. State centralization of 100% of industry doesn't exactly have the best track record.

I am also opposed to changing the emblems, especially since we just changed our flag and I really like the current one that Koopa designed.

For now, here is my amendment for keeping our emblems the same:

Quote from: Amendment
AN ACT
To facilitate the the expansion of the welfare state

SECTION 1. Title.

All workers shall have the right to organize themselves into a trade union if they so wish. All workers shall also be protected from being fired as a result of joining a trade union.

Henceforward corporate governors shall be bound by the same restrictions with regard to human rights as the state, including specifically the prohibition against making or enforcing any rule or regulation abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the workers to peaceably assemble and petition the management for a redress of grievances.

1. All steel manufacturers are brought into public ownership immediately upon passage of this act and placed under the control of an Atlasian Steel Authority.
2. All fuel and power companies shall be brought into public ownership effective upon passage of this act and placed under the control of an Atlasian Energy Authority.
3. All financial and lending institutions shall be brought into a central organization consisting of half private and half public ownership effective upon passage of this act.
4. All institutions of higher education shall be brought into public ownership effective upon passage of this act and placed under the control of an Atlasian University System.
5. Each of these authorities, and such others as may be established by the People’s Republic for major industries, shall be organized federatively with governing boards in each region composed of an equal number of directors appointed by the regional legislature and the workers’ councils and trade unions. These regional boards will answer to the federal authority of the People’s Republic, one-third the members of which will be appointed by the regional legislatures, one-third by the Interior Department, and one-third by the workers’ councils and trade unions.

SECTION 5. Rights.

SECTION 6. Emblems.
1. The flag of the People’s Republic shall be a red field.
2. The anthem of the People’s Republic shall be the The Red Flag.
3. The seal of the People’s Republic shall be a crossed hammer and sickle with three stars to represent the three regions, with the words “People’s Republic of Atlasia” across the top, and the motto across the bottom.

SECTION 6. Peace and Freedom.
The people of each city and region will be allowed to go about their lives in peace, and no coercive force applied, where threat of violence is not first offered. If there be any who would still adhere to the old constitution, let them stand unmolested, as testament to the safety with which error of opinion may be tolerated while reason is left free to combat it. We ask no tribute which is not given freely, we enlist no conscript nor solicit begrudging loyalty. We trust to arms only for our own defense, and otherwise. We trust to fate and history to vindicate our cause and complete the victory of the people.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2021, 11:42:03 PM »

Senators have 24 hours to object to the amendment.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2021, 06:47:17 PM »

Sponsor feedback?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2021, 08:02:37 PM »

AN ACT
To facilitate the expansion of the welfare state

Be it enacted by the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia assembled,

SECTION 1. Title.

SECTION 5 4. Rights.

SECTION 6 5. Peace and Freedom.
Sponsor feedback: Hostile

Senators, please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain on the amendment proposed by Senator Cao.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2021, 09:56:31 PM »

Abstain
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2021, 12:43:01 AM »

Yikes, forgot about this one.

With eight votes in favor, seven opposed, two abstentions, and one non-voting member, the amendment is adopted.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2021, 01:40:44 AM »

Wait.

I'm sorry.

I agree with some of the eliminations made by the amendment but others cause problems. Can we work out a bipartisan deal?

What do you have in mind?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2021, 02:02:50 AM »

Wait.

I'm sorry.

I agree with some of the eliminations made by the amendment but others cause problems. Can we work out a bipartisan deal?

What do you have in mind?

I was thinking we don't need to eliminate the entire third section and work out a compromise.

The compromise, I think, would have to be the state owning 51% of assets, as was done with the energy sector in the RGND. If someone wants to introduce an amendment to that effect, I won't object.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2021, 01:05:19 AM »
« Edited: September 28, 2021, 07:48:29 AM by Senator Scott, PPT🎃 »

This is a bill I was less than enthusiastic about from the start. I'd rather we do something here or just move to a vote. If we want to at the very least incentivize workplace democracy, I'm all for that and always have been.

S019 made a great first step in this bill, so if he or the President have an ideas, I'd like to hear them now.

Another idea I have, as far as empowering workers goes, would be guaranteeing them a share of corporate ownership. Though admittedly, I am not sure how that would be codified, and to my knowledge there aren't any models we can use as a 'case study' or example for how that would work.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2021, 07:34:21 PM »

If there aren't any new amendments, a final vote will open in 24 hours.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2021, 10:12:50 PM »

That does sound oddly-phrased. Here's an amendment for clarification of what I think it meant:

SECTION 5. Peace and Freedom.
The people of each city and region will be allowed to go about their lives in peace, and no coercive force applied, where threat of violence is not first offered. If there be any who would still adhere to the old constitutionthe Bill of Rights, let them stand unmolested, as testament to the safety with which error of opinion may be tolerated while reason is left free to combat it. We ask no tribute which is not given freely, we enlist no conscript nor solicit begrudging loyalty. We trust to arms only for our own defense, and otherwise. We trust to fate and history to vindicate our cause and complete the victory of the people.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2021, 10:28:12 PM »

In that case, I will amend that the section be removed. Sponsor feedback?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2021, 10:36:19 PM »

Senators have 24 hours to object.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2021, 11:11:19 PM »

Hearing no objection, the amendment is adopted.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies