How the pandemic turned humble shipping containers into the hottest items on the planet
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:17:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  How the pandemic turned humble shipping containers into the hottest items on the planet
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How the pandemic turned humble shipping containers into the hottest items on the planet  (Read 382 times)
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 08, 2021, 08:06:35 AM »
« edited: September 08, 2021, 01:00:43 PM by Torie »

One of my tenants who is in the mattress fabrication and distribution business told me he has no supply, because the distribution chain is broken. I asked him how that happened. He said containers. What? He patiently explained to the clueless one that they were not being shipped back to China, because what the US ships to China has low value, so it is not worth it to ship the containers back there. I said, well it would be if the price got high enough, even if they were empty. Price? He laughed. He then emailed me the article below. Even price is not enough to get things moving – not yet anyway.

What a mess! It helps to explain some of the insane prices out there however. I expect to take a hit on some IKEA cabinets that I need to outfit a kitchen and dining room. I took on my latest rehab project at precisely the wrong time, that’s for sure. Among other things I managed to purchase the bulk of the lumber needed for framing at just about it’s peak price. Sad.  Cry

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/08/business/shipping-containers/index.html
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 06:25:49 AM »

How much of this is also affected by 30 years of implementing just-in-time/lean production management theories to supply chains? I would assume this would also have a big effect in making supply chains so sensitive in the first place; we saw a taste of this with the 2011 Japan earthquake and the automotive parts sector.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies