What would the vote on Gonzalez v Raich be today?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:03:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  What would the vote on Gonzalez v Raich be today?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What would the vote on Gonzalez v Raich be today?  (Read 356 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 07, 2021, 05:46:56 PM »
« edited: September 07, 2021, 06:20:42 PM by lfromnj »

This would be interesting once again.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 09:36:25 PM »

Thomas & Gorsuch would obviously side with Raich, as might Roberts, & I think Kavanaugh & ACB would join them too. I'm not at all confident on Alito's vote: if the case involved literally anything but drugs, then he'd side with Thomas & Gorsuch, but this was obviously a drugs case. For the same reason, I'm conflicted on whether or not Sotomayor would join Breyer & Kagan in finding for Gonzales: Breyer is clearly pro-Wickard, as his join in this case emphasized, & Kagan is cut from the same judicial cloth as him, so their siding with Gonzales is pretty predictable, but I could definitely see Sotomayor flipping away from them on a Commerce Clause case involving marijuana - which have always presented a bit of a conflict between the outcome-based views of "political liberals" & principle-based holdings of "judicial liberals" - for the sake of the outcome.

So, anything from a (facially weird) 5-4 to a (facially weird) 7-2 for Raich, compared to the real-life 6-3 for Gonzales.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 02:08:15 PM »

Thomas & Gorsuch would obviously side with Raich, as might Roberts, & I think Kavanaugh & ACB would join them too. I'm not at all confident on Alito's vote: if the case involved literally anything but drugs, then he'd side with Thomas & Gorsuch, but this was obviously a drugs case. For the same reason, I'm conflicted on whether or not Sotomayor would join Breyer & Kagan in finding for Gonzales: Breyer is clearly pro-Wickard, as his join in this case emphasized, & Kagan is cut from the same judicial cloth as him, so their siding with Gonzales is pretty predictable, but I could definitely see Sotomayor flipping away from them on a Commerce Clause case involving marijuana - which have always presented a bit of a conflict between the outcome-based views of "political liberals" & principle-based holdings of "judicial liberals" - for the sake of the outcome.

So, anything from a (facially weird) 5-4 to a (facially weird) 7-2 for Raich, compared to the real-life 6-3 for Gonzales.

It ends up being 4/3/2.  Breyer, Kagan, Sotomayor, and Alito vote to uphold the law in full.  Gorsuch and Thomas vote to strike down the law.  Roberts, joined by Kavanaugh and Barrett, applies NFIB v. Sebelius to allow the government to collect fines from the defendants, but voids all other criminal penalties, treating any fines as an exercise of taxing power.   
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: 1.22

P P
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 09:03:28 PM »

So you agree that Alito prioritize tough on crime over anything else, as I pointed out in my tough on crime justice post?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 12:18:50 AM »

So you agree that Alito prioritize tough on crime over anything else, as I pointed out in my tough on crime justice post?

Alito prioritizes the Republican Party platform over everything else. He's the only bona fide dictionary-definition partisan hack currently on the Court.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies