What if Bridgegate (Chris Christie scandal) had never happened?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:24:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  What if Bridgegate (Chris Christie scandal) had never happened?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What if Bridgegate (Chris Christie scandal) had never happened?  (Read 624 times)
Justin_Krunchski
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 30, 2021, 03:23:50 PM »

What if Bridgegate had never happened in his second term? How would he fair against Hillary Clinton in 2016? (Assuming he wins the nomination)
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 09:51:37 PM »

Trump still wins the primaries, but if Christie was nominated:

Fmr. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton (D-NY) / Senator Tim Kaine (D-VA) ✓
Governor Chris Christie (R-NJ) / Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL)
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 11:49:06 PM »

I think he wins with a similar map to Trump 2016, plus maybe MN and VA. I don't think he'd actually win NJ, but it may have even been within 5 points.

Thinking more about it, Chris Christie is the modern Nixon. Someone who could have been remembered so fondly, but destroyed his reputation with a completely unnecessary scandal.

But unfortunately, these things are part of people's personalities. Even if Bridgegate never happened and Christie made it to the White House, it's very possible that he would have been felled by something else.
Justin_Krunchski
Rookie
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2021, 01:02:18 PM »

I personally think Christie would win, he wouldn't of campaigned in PA or MI as much as Trump did, but would take advantage of Clinton ignoring WI. He'd easily win Utah by 30% considering that McMullin was only really running because he opposed Trump. He would also carry Nevada very narrowly, I'm talking probably 0.2%.

Justin_Krunchski
Rookie
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2021, 01:03:34 PM »

I personally think Christie would win, he wouldn't of campaigned in PA or MI as much as Trump did, but would take advantage of Clinton ignoring WI. He'd easily win Utah by 30% considering that McMullin was only really running because he opposed Trump. He would also carry Nevada very narrowly, I'm talking probably 0.2%.

Oh and I forgot, Christie would perform better with moderate voters in the GOP enough to get him NH.
Justin_Krunchski
Rookie
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2021, 01:11:33 PM »

I think he wins with a similar map to Trump 2016, plus maybe MN and VA. I don't think he'd actually win NJ, but it may have even been within 5 points.

Thinking more about it, Chris Christie is the modern Nixon. Someone who could have been remembered so fondly, but destroyed his reputation with a completely unnecessary scandal.

But unfortunately, these things are part of people's personalities. Even if Bridgegate never happened and Christie made it to the White House, it's very possible that he would have been felled by something else.

He would lose NJ by 6%, 51%-45%. In 2020, it would be 53%-44% against Biden.
I agree with everything else you have said, I think in 2020 Christie would hold onto AZ by 4%, and cling onto Georgia by 0.8 or 1%. Christie would take COVID-19 seriously which helps him with voters nationwide, and helps him keep the election close with Biden but I'm not sure who would actually win.

Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2021, 01:12:04 PM »
« Edited: December 04, 2021, 01:27:41 PM by Anaphylactic-Statism »

This assumes Clinton runs the exact same campaign- which she wouldn't, not feeling the need to present herself as a status quo alternative. I never said Christie wouldn't win Utah, and just because you say Nevada is close doesn't justify that result if you're framing it as a rebuttal. Where does Christie suddenly pull out the WWC or hispanic support to beat the Reid machine?

Sorry, but when red or blue avatars start threads asking these questions and then jump in to reject maps where the candidate of their party loses, it seems like they're really fishing for feel-good posts where their preferred candidate wins.
Justin_Krunchski
Rookie
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2021, 01:27:17 PM »

True I'm just saying if Christie were the nominee he probably does much better in NV to the point he could win it, especially if his VP is Rubio.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2021, 01:32:05 PM »

True I'm just saying if Christie were the nominee he probably does much better in NV to the point he could win it, especially if his VP is Rubio.

Who does he win over that Trump couldn't? Just running a hispanic candidate isn't enough to win over that demographic, and Cuban-Americans =/= Mexican-Americans. There would need to be a campaign speaking directly to the concerns of that community, and neither Christie nor Rubio embraced the 2013 RNC autopsy that would have permitted that.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies