Do people ever get bored in heaven?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:01:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Do people ever get bored in heaven?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Do people ever get bored in heaven?  (Read 1583 times)
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 04, 2021, 07:13:41 AM »

Eternal life makes little sense for a finite being. What happens if you’ve heard every song ever made multiple times?
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2021, 07:22:29 AM »

There was an episode of the Twilight Zone called "A nice place to visit". A crook dies and ends up in a place where he can have anything he wants. He loves his life for a while. Eventually he gets bored and hates where he is. He says "I want to go to the other place" and is told "this is the other place." followed by laughter of the man who tells him this.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2021, 04:02:16 PM »

I'm not particularly interested in eternal life myself (for some reason I've never been afraid of annihilation like many people seem to be), but this always struck me as a childish argument (in fact, I'm pretty this was a concern I myself had when I was a child). Boredom is clearly something that is born out of our experience in the material universe and the way our physical brain reacts to the passing of time. There's no reason to believe that any of this would apply in heaven, which from what I understand exists outside of time itself. The extent to which people attempt to apply real-life logic to the afterlife is bizarre, since it seems to me to defeat the whole point of an afterlife. At this point, why not just go with reincarnation?
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2021, 07:49:49 PM »

It all depends on what an after life entails, so unless and until there is a definitive answer to that question, we won't know. The question is a good one and in my opinion not childish at all.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2021, 01:48:46 AM »

It's the Astral plane, it's not Earth, it's not like you do the samething you do on Earth
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2021, 04:23:46 AM »

Eternal life makes little sense for a finite being. What happens if you’ve heard every song ever made multiple times?
Do you only listen to songs once and then never again?

I'm not going to assume anything about the afterlife but I'll just go with your interpretation which seems to be like Earth but nobody ever dies. If that was the case, there would be an infinite amount of creative potential. New music and movies would always be coming out. New art would always get made. It's not like you're stuck with a finite resource.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2021, 07:44:08 PM »
« Edited: September 06, 2021, 09:51:45 PM by Blue3 »

I think Heaven will be more like eternally progressing/growing while keeping within our individual limits: always more for your mind/consciousness to learn, always more of the universe throughout space and time to explore by using your "body"/spirit/being, enjoying and playing in bliss, building and strengthening relationships, creating/imagining new things... and not in stasis.

I think we’d still be in this universe, but as spirit-bodies in an invisible layer of the universe that the living and physical can’t really sense or directly affect. And that we could zoom through space and time, by ourselves or with others, loved ones, make new friends, forever exploring and learning and enjoying and playing  and creating/strengthening relationships. And perhaps practicing various arts to create new things (in this “spirit layer” of the universe) too. Similar but vastly enhanced senses (if we wished), being able to see with telescopic instant vision who’s currently visiting a particular planet, and no physical pain. Able to have some degree of control over your age/appearance, but very similar to physical body yet in spirit form. All while feeling an infinite sense of being loved by everyone, all in the past forgiven, and able to be in constant touch with loved ones whenever we wish.
Georg Ebner
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2021, 09:49:26 PM »
« Edited: September 06, 2021, 10:52:44 PM by Georg Ebner »

What a stupid question: The modern world reveals the opposite: That the hell - i.e. SelfDeification - is l'ennui totale.
"The modern world will not get punished - it is itself the punishment." "When mankind will have fulfilled its progress into full independence, it will find on the top the taedium vitae." "...finally we discover, that God is the only real adventure." (GOMEZ DAVILA)
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2021, 06:55:31 AM »

Do you only listen to songs once and then never again?

I'm not going to assume anything about the afterlife but I'll just go with your interpretation which seems to be like Earth but nobody ever dies. If that was the case, there would be an infinite amount of creative potential. New music and movies would always be coming out. New art would always get made. It's not like you're stuck with a finite resource.
That doesn’t make much sense. There are a finite number of humans that will ever exist.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2021, 05:36:44 PM »

Could anyone ever tire of Mozart?

Imagine a place where Shakespeare is still wring plays that people perform, in which Mozart is composing one masterpiece after another (but not so fast that you can't be obliged to settle for some Ravel), and in which Michelangelo is still painting.

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2021, 05:33:49 PM »

It's the Astral plane, it's not Earth, it's not like you do the samething you do on Earth

Unironically this, yes. The saints in heaven are simply not limited by the same sensory, physical, or interpersonal difficulties as we are, and there's always more to learn about God even if one has learned and understood everything there is to learn or understand about everything else.

At least one great man of our times would say yes. (I'm not crazy about Mozart myself; I think there's something twee and "overcomposed" about him even compared to other Classical-era luminaries like Gluck and Haydn.)

Imagine a place where Shakespeare is still wring plays that people perform, in which Mozart is composing one masterpiece after another (but not so fast that you can't be obliged to settle for some Ravel), and in which Michelangelo is still painting.

"You should read his new one!", as Clarence says about Mark Twain in It's a Wonderful Life.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2021, 11:17:26 AM »
« Edited: September 11, 2021, 05:04:04 PM by Torie »

Could anyone ever tire of Mozart?

Yes some "anyones" can tire of Mozart. Both my older brother, who is a classical music aficionado, and now using computers composes some himself, and I, tired of Mozart by around age 20 without even breaking a sweat, just as we did of Tchaikovsky. Writing pleasant sounding melodies is just not enough for us. We want more discord and dissonance to touch our souls.

I personally have no particular yearning to go to heaven, assuming I was able to make the requisite leap of faith to believe in its existence. I suspect I would find it boring.

Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2021, 11:39:29 PM »

There are finite beings in heaven?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2021, 12:36:33 AM »

Sorry, but Shakespeare was a Protestant and Mozart was a Catholic, meaning one of them is in heaven receiving the never-ending glory of God's grace and the other """genius""" is boiling in a lake of feces or something. Also, there are countless unexceptional dullards up in heaven doing absolutely nothing other than basking in the light of Christ Our Lord, but because they got the "right" denomination they're fine.
Georg Ebner
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2021, 10:11:09 AM »
« Edited: September 12, 2021, 10:31:22 AM by Georg Ebner »

Sorry, but Shakespeare was a Protestant and Mozart was a Catholic, meaning one of them is in heaven receiving the never-ending glory of God's grace and the other """genius""" is boiling in a lake of feces or something. Also, there are countless unexceptional dullards up in heaven doing absolutely nothing other than basking in the light of Christ Our Lord, but because they got the "right" denomination they're fine.
SHAKESPEARE was even privately probably a cryptoCatholic (St.MARY behind His face on the FlowerPortrait, as Cath. frequently did during the persecution under Elisabeth I., when paintings of St.MARY were forbidden). In His works He was surely one - or do real protestants see - preaching/inDoctrination apart - all arts as anything else than pagan "superstition"/"sin"? For us Catholics it's the exact opposite: Even our mass must be defined as a drama!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2021, 04:39:30 PM »

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2021, 10:35:25 PM »

Make a new one.

Anyway a little boredom every now and then is a fine thing.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2021, 06:30:40 AM »

Make a new one.

Of course. You’ve read everything there is to know about dolphins(there’s only a finite number of sources on them), now what? Infinite heaven makes little sense.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2021, 02:38:58 PM »

Make a new one.

Of course. You’ve read everything there is to know about dolphins(there’s only a finite number of sources on them), now what? Infinite heaven makes little sense.

Maybe spend time with the actual dolphins?   But one thing I think that would have to be true of eternity is that our horizons would be broadened, so that we do not find any part of reality intrinsically boring, as long as we are following the Creator.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2021, 11:15:49 AM »

Make a new one.

Maybe spend time with the actual dolphins?   But one thing I think that would have to be true of eternity is that our horizons would be broadened, so that we do not find any part of reality intrinsically boring, as long as we are following the Creator.
But there’s only a finite number of things humans can comprehend.  As for hell, that runs into the same problem. If you’ve been tortured for millions of years, do you ever remember being a mortal being?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2021, 11:42:49 AM »

But there’s only a finite number of things humans can comprehend.  As for hell, that runs into the same problem. If you’ve been tortured for millions of years, do you ever remember being a mortal being?
And how many pounds would a rock weigh that God would be unable to lift it? And anyway how can there be an afterlife if there is no soul? Plus materialism is true so how can it be false?

To ask questions of a subject without understanding it at all is to begin with the premise of your counterpart’s irrationality and be surprised that the conclusion also includes said premise.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2021, 05:34:41 AM »

And how many pounds would a rock weigh that God would be unable to lift it? And anyway how can there be an afterlife if there is no soul? Plus materialism is true so how can it be false?

To ask questions of a subject without understanding it at all is to begin with the premise of your counterpart’s irrationality and be surprised that the conclusion also includes said premise.
Then again, monkeys could write Shakespeare if given an infinite amount of time. Infinity isn’t a number.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2021, 10:39:26 PM »

Make a new one.

Maybe the difference between heaven and hell is just whether you get bored by being in the presence of God and his renewed creation for all eternity.
If you really love someone, I don't think you get bored with them.  Not permanently.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2021, 06:01:37 AM »

I would assume we'd be able to do sport or some other kind of competition in heaven.  If we have all the time, we could play everything.  You could play RB in your own SuperBowl (or striker in your own WC, whatever), you can draft a fantasy team and coach (or play on it) with your father's fantasy team and play against each other.

If you are described a world of infinite possibilities and your response after some thought is "I think I'd get bored", well, you ain't thinking it through.  Or your just a really boring person....probably one of those people who think they have to live in a big time city or else they'd never have anything to do.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2021, 06:47:41 AM »

Make a new one.

Maybe the difference between heaven and hell is just whether you get bored by being in the presence of God and his renewed creation for all eternity.
If you really love someone, I don't think you get bored with them.  Not permanently.
Well. I’m an atheist if that helps. Why would I want to be in heaven if I have loved ones in hell?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies