5-4, Supreme Court refuses to block Texas six-week abortion ban
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:46:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  5-4, Supreme Court refuses to block Texas six-week abortion ban
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 5-4, Supreme Court refuses to block Texas six-week abortion ban  (Read 2060 times)
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2021, 11:27:57 PM »

Roe is done. It's over. Anyone thinking otherwise is just deluding themselves. Chief Justice Roberts no longer has control over this Court. I think Griwold is probably doomed as well. It's just a matter of time.
Is there a state somewhere that is actively trying to ban condoms?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2021, 11:30:20 PM »

Roe is done. It's over. Anyone thinking otherwise is just deluding themselves. Chief Justice Roberts no longer has control over this Court. I think Griwold is probably doomed as well. It's just a matter of time.

We could see this court ruling that actual constitutional amendments are unconstitutional (such as the thirteenth, seventeenth, and all of the civil rights ones).
Nope. Not how any of this works.

Would you like to tell our conservative justices that?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2021, 06:29:29 AM »

This ruling has zero effect on blue wall states, OH, TX SD all are considering chipping away of Roe, this is another attemptr by D's to bypass Breyer in getting more D's on SCOTUS, it's most likely gonna be a 52(48 Senate not 55/45 and Tester, Manchin and Sinema will still be the balance of power and against Crt packing, Tester is a blue dog but he is open to DC Statehood
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2021, 02:44:11 PM »

We could see this court ruling that actual constitutional amendments are unconstitutional (such as the thirteenth, seventeenth, and all of the civil rights ones).
Nope. Not how any of this works.

Would you like to tell our conservative justices that?
As much as they may be partisan hacks, it would not serve the conservative justices’ interests to declare that the text of the constitution doesn’t matter and that laws no longer exist. That’s not how a Court retains power.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2021, 03:00:59 PM »

Conservative hacks, Rs have always been for Planned Parenthood and adoptions and D's have been for absolute abortion rights this Cry affirmed 6/3 Planned Parenthood and this isn't a NATIONAL BAN ON ABORTION THATS WHY PELOSI BILL WILL BE BLOCKRD IN THE SENATE JUST LIKE VR

We already know D's want to add more Justices, they have been trying to  get Breyer to retire and he hasn't budged, the Rs will use this against D's in Red states in the Midterms

Why do you think we have divided Govt, Married Females aren't partisan over abortion like single females, Hillary tried that strategy in 2016 and failed against Trump, Rs stripping away Roe
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2021, 07:44:54 AM »

While I sincerely doubt that banning barrier methods such as condoms is something that would be seriously attempted even once Roe is gone, I could see some other methods of birth control such as IUDs or emergency contraceptive medications being targeted.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2021, 08:44:29 AM »

Griswold led to two other Court decisions that pertained to the right to use contraceptives: Eisenstadt v. Baird and Carey v. Population Services Int'l. In the latter case, the Court invalidated a law that regulated the distribution of contraceptives to minors. That ruling relied heavily on the precedent of Griswold. So while I can't imagine any state legislature trying to prohibit everyone from using contraceptives, I can imagine some conservative school district passing a regulation that prohibits any school employees from distributing contraceptives to school children. That would, of course, be challenged, with the challengers invoking Carey. If the Supreme Court of today decide that Carey was so wrong it should be overturned, they might declare that Griswold had been wrongly decided too.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2021, 06:32:02 PM »

While I sincerely doubt that banning barrier methods such as condoms is something that would be seriously attempted even once Roe is gone, I could see some other methods of birth control such as IUDs or emergency contraceptive medications being targeted.

A lot of views on hormonal contraception depend on whether you view life as beginning at fertilization or implantation, which is a contested topic in the pro-life movement.  If you believe that life begins at fertilization, than certain forms of hormonal "contraception" can possibly act as abortifacients by preventing implantation, even if that is not their main purpose.  If you believe that life starts at implantation, than that is less of a concern.

I personally view life as beginning at fertilization, so my policy would be to only use barrier methods once I am married.  Now, if my wife didn't feel comfortable with any contraception, I would be OK with that as well.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2021, 05:01:55 PM »

Quote from: politicallefty link=topic=461641.msg8236615#msg8236615 date=1630810093 /i
is done. It's over. Anyone thinking otherwise is just deluding themselves. Chief Justice Roberts no longer has control over this Court. I think Griswold is probably doomed as well. It's just a matter of time.

Yeah, this is sort of what I was thinking. This isn't even a new concept for anyone that's been paying attention since the ACA was passed. There have already been fights over birth control. I don't think the Court will go full-scale and announce Griswold overturned, but they will chip away given the opportunity. I do think there are some states that will go after birth control in some form. Emergency contraception such as Plan B could potentially be one of the primary targets.

To add to an above post, I could see entire states work to prohibit distribution of contraceptives (including condoms), not just conservative school districts.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies