the end result of liberal insanity
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 11:12:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  the end result of liberal insanity
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: the end result of liberal insanity  (Read 1780 times)
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 31, 2021, 07:16:56 PM »

Damn I kinda wish teachers actually wanted to teach sometimes
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 07:23:43 PM »

leonardothered
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 08:28:49 PM »

End result of conservative insanity:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_United_States_Capitol_attack

I think it's a pretty obvious choice if you hope to maintain a civil discourse and maintain our democracy.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 08:29:51 PM »

I believe the insurrection was actually caused by right wing insanity.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 08:30:09 PM »

Nope not replying to this, nope nope nope nope
NerdyBohemian
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2021, 09:17:17 PM »

As someone who has worked in this profession for a decade , I assure you >95% are not like this. And those who are like this get roasted behind their back.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2021, 09:29:42 PM »

This is why progressives are better than liberals.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2021, 10:11:01 PM »

I see MB wants to get brownie points with the right now.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2021, 10:13:05 PM »

Any YouTube video with a “X DESTROYS Y” is either clickbait, staged, a bunch of pathetic gosh galloping masquerading as genuine intellect, or all of the above.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2021, 10:14:08 PM »

Any YouTube video with a “X DESTROYS Y” is either clickbait, staged, a bunch of pathetic gosh galloping masquerading as genuine intellect, or all of the above.

This is standup comedy, not a political debate.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2021, 10:22:27 PM »

Oh in that case, none of what I said applies.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2021, 06:41:31 AM »

Standup comedy? But you post a link to Norm McDonald Huh
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2021, 07:50:16 AM »

Good for Norm. Teacher worship is as foolish as cop worship or any other senseless praise of an entire profession.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2021, 08:46:05 AM »

Dang does Norm McDonald really spend 12 minutes destroying that teacher or is there some additional material on either side of the destruction?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2021, 10:06:00 AM »

Standup comedy? But you post a link to Norm McDonald Huh

Norm Macdonald is a litmus test of whether or not someone understands high comedy.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2021, 10:31:09 AM »

As someone who has worked in this profession for a decade , I assure you >95% are not like this. And those who are like this get roasted behind their back.
I don't know how they select their leadership (if it's like other large progressive organizations, there will be a group of power players that do the actual selecting as left wing leadership people know you can't just let a bunch of progressives vote for things, that leads to even crazier things, like Bernie!), but certainly at least some of LA teachers are like this or she wouldn't be in this position to say such stupid and embarrassing things.
Telesquare
Gyroburrito
Rookie
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2021, 12:27:56 PM »

This is why progressives are better than liberals.
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2013/3/19/1195414/-I-m-a-Liberal-Not-A-Progressive
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2021, 01:03:43 PM »

People on Facebook don't have enough brain cells to properly utilize language.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2021, 10:04:08 PM »

Protest- People I agree with looting and committing arson

Riot- People I disagree with doing anything at all

Bolded does absolutely no good. They should get roasted to their face and then they'd stop acting like this. This is the same crap people on the right did with Trump and the alt-right, telling people in private they actually didn't like them to save face but not confronting them.

Why are we referring to children and adolescents as "babies"? Has anyone else noticed Democrats doing this more frequently lately?

Nanny staters gotta nanny state. They'll be calling us all babies soon enough.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2021, 10:24:59 PM »

I haven't found that my politics have changed significantly over the course of the pandemic, but I have certainly lost confidence in teachers' unions. Their involvement in the political process over the last year and a half has consistently been to impede the learning process. It's not hard to think that this is an issue that both sides have, with teachers' unions on one side and police unions on the other.

The difference is that we know what police unions are like everywhere, because police unions in every big city elect the same cretins to represent them. As far as I can tell, the direction of the Los Angeles union is not the norm; the article notes that the current leadership took control of the union relatively recently and has only ever won on minuscule turnout.

That being said, the rhetoric here is clearly very dangerous. The quote in the tweet, which claims that actual education is meaningless compared to the permanent revolution, is straightforwardly Maoist. I imagine that the president of the Los Angeles teachers' union has never described herself as a Maoist, but that hardly matters. These people's beliefs are repulsive to normal people, and so the only way they can win is through entryism, as seems to have happened here. The blood quantum rhetoric described in the article itself is also appropriate, since marshaling ethnic nationalism is a useful way to pull the discussion away from any tangible questions of actual education.

In the long run I think that the leadership of this union will be defeated; a militant police union can protect the right of its members to rob and kill as they please, but a militant teachers' union focused on creating a classless society will not accomplish much for its membership. The question is how much damage it can do before then.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2021, 01:13:11 AM »

I haven't found that my politics have changed significantly over the course of the pandemic, but I have certainly lost confidence in teachers' unions. Their involvement in the political process over the last year and a half has consistently been to impede the learning process. It's not hard to think that this is an issue that both sides have, with teachers' unions on one side and police unions on the other.

The difference is that we know what police unions are like everywhere, because police unions in every big city elect the same cretins to represent them. As far as I can tell, the direction of the Los Angeles union is not the norm; the article notes that the current leadership took control of the union relatively recently and has only ever won on minuscule turnout.

That being said, the rhetoric here is clearly very dangerous. The quote in the tweet, which claims that actual education is meaningless compared to the permanent revolution, is straightforwardly Maoist. I imagine that the president of the Los Angeles teachers' union has never described herself as a Maoist, but that hardly matters. These people's beliefs are repulsive to normal people, and so the only way they can win is through entryism, as seems to have happened here. The blood quantum rhetoric described in the article itself is also appropriate, since marshaling ethnic nationalism is a useful way to pull the discussion away from any tangible questions of actual education.

In the long run I think that the leadership of this union will be defeated; a militant police union can protect the right of its members to rob and kill as they please, but a militant teachers' union focused on creating a classless society will not accomplish much for its membership. The question is how much damage it can do before then.

The right has been saying for decades that Teacher's Unions are working at cross purposes towards the objectives of the education system. Even if you think the right's proposals for reform are/were bad (many times they were/are), the biggest defenders of the status quo and the biggest impediments towards reform of almost any kind have been the teacher's unions. The only difference now is that it has taken the pandemic to make this obvious to more people, who previously would have just seen any instance where this came up as "the right just hating on education and the kids again". Now it is "OMG the teacher's union is doing what?" 

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2021, 01:53:27 AM »

Yet many wonder why so many people view modern liberalism with nothing but contempt
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2021, 01:55:04 AM »

The problem here is public sector unions in general
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2021, 02:08:01 AM »

There is the dynamic of them influencing elections and as a result they end up negotiating with themselves for pay and benefits. This is a big part of the pension crisis as politicians would appease by boosting retirement benefits, which unlike pay, kept current spending down but ballooned the long term liabilities as such that would come due long after said politicians were gone.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2021, 02:20:13 AM »

There is the dynamic of them influencing elections and as a result they end up negotiating with themselves for pay and benefits. This is a big part of the pension crisis as politicians would appease by boosting retirement benefits, which unlike pay, kept current spending down but ballooned the long term liabilities as such that would come due long after said politicians were gone.

The Republican candidate for Oregon governor made this point one of his main issues and he got buried in attack ads for doing so
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies