Are short people still short in heaven?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:00:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Are short people still short in heaven?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are short people still short in heaven?  (Read 1031 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 31, 2021, 06:03:42 AM »

Does God reward short kings and queens for what they were denied in their first reality, or are they left as manlets for eternity?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 06:27:32 AM »

In all seriousness though, some Christian beliefs and denominations have been somewhat 'ableist' in the past and present with respect to disabilities and perceived 'disadvantages' so any honest engagement with this will probably fall along those lines.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 10:41:55 AM »

In all seriousness though, some Christian beliefs and denominations have been somewhat 'ableist' in the past and present with respect to disabilities and perceived 'disadvantages' so any honest engagement with this will probably fall along those lines.
I have never heard about this before, do tell.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 11:04:02 AM »

I mean it is broad. There's interchangeability in the Bible between disability as punishment for sin, or as a reflection of sin which can live on in Pentecostal and revivalist churches, particularly outside the west. There's also general societal ableism which can present churches and faiths with the same challenges as secular communities and interests.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 04:06:38 PM »

There isn't exactly a canonical answer. St. Augustine writes in The City of God:

[The body] shall be of that size which it either had attained or should have attained in the flower of its youth, and shall enjoy the beauty that arises from preserving symmetry and proportion in all its members . . . overgrown and emaciated persons need not fear that they shall be in heaven of such a figure as they would not be even in this world if they could help it.

That is, those who were short due to malnutrition or some other ailment would be their "true size" while those who were naturally short would likely remain so. Regardless, those in heaven would fully understand why they are the way they are (and why everyone else is they way they are) and would be at compete peace with it.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2021, 04:23:29 AM »

God through His prophet Ronald Reagan made Uncle Ruckus white. If He can do that, He's gonna make short people tall (if they want it of course).
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2021, 12:57:12 PM »

Read thread title as asking whether short people are in heaven. My answer is "no" (too close to hell in life).
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2021, 01:53:30 PM »

I mean it is broad. There's interchangeability in the Bible between disability as punishment for sin, or as a reflection of sin which can live on in Pentecostal and revivalist churches, particularly outside the west. There's also general societal ableism which can present churches and faiths with the same challenges as secular communities and interests.
Could you expand on this? What passages say this?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2021, 02:01:53 PM »
« Edited: September 01, 2021, 02:15:42 PM by Senator Scott, PPT »

Can you name some examples of this? Not denying that it happens, but Christian charity organizations and hospitals (Shriners Hospitals for Children just as one example) aid people who are disabled and help fund research.

EDIT: Unless you are referring to conversion therapies or defining LGBT identities as mental illnesses, but I read your post to mean in general.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2021, 07:26:26 PM »

My understanding is that we won't have bodies as we understand them once we get to Heaven.  But, I'm not an expert in this area of theology.  There's a lot about Heaven that we can't understand until we get there.  The Bible tells us what we need to know now (especially important being that salvation is only through faith in Christ), and we need to be content with not knowing everything else this side of Heaven.
Houstonian Sock
Big Tex
Rookie
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2021, 01:16:16 AM »

If they want to be then sure
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2021, 02:49:32 PM »

My understanding is that we won't have bodies as we understand them once we get to Heaven.  But, I'm not an expert in this area of theology.  There's a lot about Heaven that we can't understand until we get there.  The Bible tells us what we need to know now (especially important being that salvation is only through faith in Christ), and we need to be content with not knowing everything else this side of Heaven.

Christianity is fairly unique in that it doesn't go into much detail about the next world.  What little detail we do have suggests that we will have physical bodies of some kind, but it will be a radically different bodily experience.  At a minimum, there is no concept of reproduction and no new marriages- "For in the resurrection, they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven," with preexisting mortal marriages probably being dissolved or simply irrelevant (though there is some dissent on this part- the Mormons for example).  At the extreme, there may be no concept of biological sex at all- "There is neither... male nor female." 

An afterlife with no concept of natural selection- "the lion will lie down with the lamb" is going to be mostly incomprehensible to us, and reasonably so given that our brains evolved under selective pressure to reproduce.  The details simply aren't worth worrying about.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2021, 11:27:02 PM »

I agree, actually.  My understanding is that in heaven, God will “wipe every tear” and grant us what we want.  Though, I guess we won’t necessarily get all that we currently think we want, but God can figure out how to make us content.

Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2021, 05:37:21 PM »

Counterpoint: “Neither this man nor his parents sinned; he was born blind so that God’s works might be revealed in him.” (John 9:3)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies