The Conservative Case for Universal Health Care
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:27:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  The Conservative Case for Universal Health Care
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Conservative Case for Universal Health Care  (Read 248 times)
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 29, 2021, 05:33:05 PM »

Opposing 'socialized medicine' has long been a hall mark of the Republican platform, usually due to the expansion of government it would cause. But I have come up with an alternative system to avoid issues of government inefficiencies, government mismanagement, and administrative errors.

Some may be questioning my credibility as a conservative. I did support Biden in 2020, so this is understandable. But I did that out of patriotism- I had no desire to see my country collapse, as a second Trump term could have brought. I still believe in lower taxes (especially for the poor and middle class), reductions in the welfare state, gun rights for all Americans not on a terror or mental illness watch-list (I can't believe I actually have to say that), reduction in the size of the government, and that Europe is a dump.

But my belief in health care for all actually complements these values more than our current system. Let me explain. According to the CMS (Center for Medicaid and Medicare services), Americans spend over $11,500 per year (per capita). That works out to roughly 17.8% of our GDP. People (mostly conservatives) throw around the big numbers that universal health care would cost. $32 Trillion in a decade. But this is untrue.

If we keep our current system of payments for medicine that is correct (and even that is a reduction from the 17.8% number). But that's not what I am proposing. This is because of my belief in consumer choice, a hallmark of capitalism. This is the belief that companies compete to lower prices and increase quality to get more consumers.

Currently only three companies hold the patent to manufacture insulin. Not only that, but everyone from the Government to pharmacies has to negotiate prices with little bargaining power. Under my plan, all companies that have the capability to produce insulin (or other life-saving drugs) will be allowed to apply for manufacturing licenses from the FDA.

Not only that, but this plan calls for a National Council On Health Costs that will (like in Canada) set limits on maximum selling prices (which combined with increased competition could lower insulin costs to as low as $200 per person per year, which is a decrease of over 80%) that companies can charge, which prevents price gouging.

If the companies want to leave or refuse to sell in America, they lose their biggest money maker. Not to mention profit margins on $200 per year are still quite good, meaning that plenty of pharmaceutical companies would love to swoop in and corner that market.

This will also apply to medicines or things like saline, which should lower health care costs to something close to half the previous amount. It might even fall further since people have access to cheap medication.

Now we can move on to the insurance industry. First, I would expand Medicare to those under 18 and also to cover dental and vision costs. Costs would also be reduced now that things cost less and also because the government will take on more of the premiums. Medicaid will also be expanded to include dental and vision costs, along with making all states that haven't implemented the medicaid expansion expand it, along with giving out federal funds to states that choose to expand the system further, which is partially conservative as it avoids government federalization.

Private insurance will still be the main way most Americans get coverage. Laws will require that all plans cover preventative care and emergency care, while still preserving the choice of what you want covered, with wealthier or people with lots of health needs being able to pay for insurance that fits their needs while not making the tax payer pay for everyone to have the same insurance. This system will keep the U.S. from having the same issues with experimental treatments. Insurance companies will be prevented from price gouging by minor restrictions.

The health care marketplace will be expanded, with state border restrictions abolished. Here individuals and employers can select plans for their employees every year. If they do not sign up for one and are not included in the government coverage umbrella they will be automatically enrolled in the cheapest plan available. All people will be required to have insurance.

Thoughts?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 05:46:09 PM »

I agree with much of what you're saying, but as someone more sympathetic to paternalistic/Christian-democratic conservatism than to American-style fusionism, I'd add that universal health care, if done right, has the conservative effect of preserving natural communities by reducing the kind of constant stress about the necessities of life that drives contemporary social alienation.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2021, 07:32:53 PM »

I agree with much of what you're saying, but as someone more sympathetic to paternalistic/Christian-democratic conservatism than to American-style fusionism, I'd add that universal health care, if done right, has the conservative effect of preserving natural communities by reducing the kind of constant stress about the necessities of life that drives contemporary social alienation.

Yep.

I also forgot to mention that spending less money on health care means the money can be spent elsewhere, and God knows we have a lot where literally over a trillion dollars per year would do a lot of good in America (context: that's more than enough to house all the homeless, pay for food stamps, and pay for tuition free or canadian level cost public university for most people with enough room let over for a tax cut).

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies