Why do libertarians gradually become far right?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:00:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Why do libertarians gradually become far right?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Why do libertarians gradually become far right?  (Read 2176 times)
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2021, 04:07:27 PM »

There has been something of a reality check in recent years as who and why so many of those supporters of various libertarian figures were supporting them. The best example goes back to early 2016 when Massie was bemoaning that so many of "his people" in Kentucky had embraced Donald Trump. Many people might buy into aspects of a libertarian message against the GOP establishment in past years, but naturally are not libertarian themselves and are more closely aligned with Trump than Ron Paul. This may be foreign policy for instance, especially in regions of the country that are historic hot beds of isolationism or anti-war sentiments (large segments of the rural midwest).

I suspect that’s the quote you’re looking for there.

As to Libertarians and Bernie Bros, I think that there’s some significant overlap due to things such as drug policy,  favoring a more dovish foreign policy, and being against the surveillance state. I was a left-wing Johnson voter in 2012 and 2016 (and voted Bernie in the primary) and it’s things like that that made me favor Johnson.

The Libertarian to far right pipeline is driven by other things that have been mentioned in this thread.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2021, 03:03:49 PM »

They see both libertarianism (get rid of the taxes and “welfare”) and fascism (deport or kill the people who vote for and/or use “welfare”) as “solutions” to the “problem” (certain people using “welfare”).
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2021, 09:32:51 PM »

Real libertarians are not far-right, but some members of the far/alt-right consider themselves to be Libertarian because they hate the government, even though they're a lot closer to, or in some cases are Fascists.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies