Is Messianic Judaism Christianity or Judaism?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:22:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Is Messianic Judaism Christianity or Judaism?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which do you consider it to be?
Christianity

Judaism

Both

Neither

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 65

Author Topic: Is Messianic Judaism Christianity or Judaism?  (Read 1254 times)
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 20, 2021, 01:42:13 PM »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messianic_Judaism

I'd actually say "both" to this question.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2021, 02:42:46 PM »

Christianity, and anyone saying otherwise is acting in bad faith.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2021, 03:17:34 PM »

Yep. If it were a form of Judaism at least some other Jews would recognize it as such. As it happens, next to none do.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2021, 06:44:43 PM »

Pretty definitionally Christianity
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2021, 01:44:25 PM »

Definitely Christianity. Whether it also be a form of Judaism depends upon how Pauline they are. If they are arguing that the Deuteronomic laws have been superseded or otherwise made irrelevant, then not a form of Judaism. If they hold the Deuteronomic laws still hold for Jews, then a form of Judaism.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2021, 12:21:48 PM »

Saying that Messianic Judaism is Judaism is like saying that Christianity is a form of paganism, since Christianity has adopted some pagan ideas.

It would make more sense to say that Christianity is just a Jewish sect, which is what it was to begin with.

Another similar belief would be that Jainism, Buddhism and Sikhism are merely Hindu sects, but I think that would be false.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2021, 10:37:48 PM »

Saying that Messianic Judaism is Judaism is like saying that Christianity is a form of paganism, since Christianity has adopted some pagan ideas.

It would make more sense to say that Christianity is just a Jewish sect, which is what it was to begin with.

Another similar belief would be that Jainism, Buddhism and Sikhism are merely Hindu sects, but I think that would be false.

What do you think makes that falser than the equivalent take on Christianity? Christian orthodoxy on everything from the nature of God to the specifics of moral theology is at least as different from Jewish orthodoxy as Buddhist orthodoxy is from Hindu orthodoxy.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2021, 03:09:28 PM »

This is commonly held to be the case by Indian Muslims. (It may be that many Hindus also feel this way, but I don't know that firsthand.) I don't typically express this opinion because it's normally seen as impolite, but I don't think it's wrong. The term "Hinduism" encompasses religious systems sufficiently diverse in themselves that picking out certain strands and labeling them as not Hindu feels arbitrary.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2021, 04:24:36 PM »

This is commonly held to be the case by Indian Muslims. (It may be that many Hindus also feel this way, but I don't know that firsthand.) I don't typically express this opinion because it's normally seen as impolite, but I don't think it's wrong. The term "Hinduism" encompasses religious systems sufficiently diverse in themselves that picking out certain strands and labeling them as not Hindu feels arbitrary.

I have a Sikh friend who says this is a common Hindutva trope. But generally the definition of Hinduism is acceptance of the authority of the Vedas.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2021, 10:13:15 PM »

No. 'Jews for Jesus' as we real Jewish people call them are Christians.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2021, 06:55:31 AM »

Christianity is what it clearly is. God doesn’t have children in actual Judaism.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2021, 09:46:38 PM »

Yep. If it were a form of Judaism at least some other Jews would recognize it as such. As it happens, next to none do.

Yeah, given the way the term "Judaism" is understood today (and has been for centuries), 'Messianic Judaism' is most definitely Christianity.
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2021, 12:06:10 AM »

It is by all technical definitions Christianity.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2021, 09:34:21 AM »

Christianity without a doubt
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2021, 02:58:33 PM »

What do you think Jesus of Nazareth and his early followers' backgrounds were?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2021, 03:00:35 PM »

The bolded is true, but the unbolded is very clearly false.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2021, 05:27:13 PM »

I thought the main requirement for Christianity was to accept Jesus as your lord and saviour? They fulfill that and are therefore Christians
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2021, 05:31:35 PM »

An effort to give Christianity a Jewish garb to snooker Jews into believing that their Christianity is really Judaism.

The irony is that Christians would do well to understand Judaism better, if only because most of the Bible is the Jewish Bible.

How many people have started to read the New Testament, only to stop with Acts as the Apostles start doing weird stuff? Beyond that it is mostly the necessity of faith. Having faith in something absurd or simply wrong is worthless. If I have a faith that tells me that I can swim across the Pacific Ocean from California to japan, then my faith is worse than worthless.

OK... I admit to walking on water. I have walked on literal water. It was called "ice".   
SInNYC

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2021, 12:47:04 AM »

I have a Sikh friend who says this is a common Hindutva trope. But generally the definition of Hinduism is acceptance of the authority of the Vedas.

I am far from an expert on this, but I've been told that this is a belief by both Hindutva types and liberal Hindus though for different reasons. The former dominate today and want to ascribe everything to Hinduism for the obvious reasons. But the latter were more common a few decades back and trace back to   'god by a million names' beliefs.

Historically, Hinduism was not really a religion as we know it and was just a collection of indigenous practices that eventually became unified under an umbrella among religious scholars (but not really commoners). A germ of this umbrella probably started around 700 by Shankara (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adi_Shankara) but Hinduism as a religion is arguably only a few centuries old and was formed as a reaction to takeovers by monotheistic Moslems and then Christians.

There are also Hindus that dont follow (or know) the Vedas. Today, most are tribal, but historically they were theological schools that competed with various schools that eventually fell under Hinduism. Whether or not they are 'true Hindus' is a  question that the Hindutva and left wing Hindus sometimes agree on, again for different reasons.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2021, 07:56:31 AM »

I would say Hinduism formed as a self-conscious religion more post-12th century under the Islamic invasion, but yeah.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2021, 11:05:19 PM »

OK... I admit to walking on water. I have walked on literal water. It was called "ice".   

So then the miracle was Peter sinking through solid ice?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies